Backyard Teardrop Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Backyard Teardrop Build

Postby HBarbinMI » Tue May 21, 2013 11:34 pm

We started our build, our garage is a little odd in that the previous owners framed in the door and placed a normal entry door on it, so most of our build will be on the concrete area outside of the garage- in the backyard (hence the title of our journal). We haven't thought of a name for the project yet, and most of the stuff so far is basic trailer assembly. There is still quite a bit of debate between my husband and myself about design features- we are agreed that we want a skylight, and that we want it to be at least 5 feet wide. To that end we decided to extend the frame out about 6 inches on all sides, and for now that is where we currently are. We are still undecided about how much of a curve it will have, and outer skin/ finish it will eventually be covered in etc. So here goes:
A little help opening the HF boxes.
Laying out all the parts
Frame is together, just need some wheels!
Wheel bearings are repacked, axle and wheels are on, now to extend the frame 6 inches on all sides...

I used fibrous roof coating to cover the bottom side of the floor plywood, and it is waiting to be installed. I am hoping the floor will be on by the end of this weekend, but we will see, so far we are working on it as time permits. I am so excited to FINALLY get moving on this project!
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Re: Backyard Teardrop Build

Postby HBarbinMI » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:25 pm

We have decided to use the Generic Benroy plans, with a few changes. We picked up the 3/4 inch plywood yesterday and began measuring and cutting on the first wall. Seems like most things are one step forward and 3 steps back. We've decided to not use the frame extensions we originally put together and just stick to the 4ft wide trailer. It is slow going, but we are making progress! :applause:
This is my husband drawing the radius on the rear.
Drawing the radius on the door
checking the fit on the first wall.
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:29 am

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build. I built mine from the Benroy plans and I love it.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby HBarbinMI » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks, it's kind of slow going. We have printed the plans, but things have a way of changing about halfway through. So it's one step forward- 2 steps back.
There is some progress however, the main walls are both cut, I have stained and sealed the shelves I want to use, and I am currently working on a tongue box, mostly so I can test different finishes on wood similar to the trailer, before actually putting it on the trailer.
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Postby HBarbinMI » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:26 am

It's been a while since I posted any updates on my build. I found the build thread for the XII, and was totally blown away! I love the screened front, and we decided that it would be a better fit than the moon roof thing we had planned on. It should open it up and make the interior feel a little bigger. We replaced the wall in our garage with a door, so I can finally park it inside and work on it (which is a good thing since the cover for it I have either leaks or condensates). I had painted the walls with the white roofing stuff before we put them on knowing it might get wet, and so far everything seems to be ok. There has been a lot of back stepping unfortunately- my young Golden Retriever decided that the flooring was an excellent thing to chew on, and that had to be replaced, still it turned out fine in the end, I actually like the new floor covering better than the last. Currently I have part of the roof on, and the material for the rest is waiting to be cut in my garage. The floor covering was an odd size so it will go in two pieces, the main piece is in, the second will go in once the galley wall is up. I also decided that the area under the front window will have a cubby to store smaller things, so I am working on finishing wood for that. The compartment top is complete, the cubby side wall is still being coated with poly.
When I stand back and look at it, it seems an odd order to build in, but I tend to work on small things when the bigger things are on hold, in this case, the roof piece that is left will require a fairly precise cut, which is not my strong suit, so I will leave that to my husband. He cuts, I install, we're both happy :)
This is part of the build journal I've been keeping so far:

112244 112246
112247 112248
112249 112250
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Postby Breytie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:15 am

Looks good, just keep going! Changing you mind is part of the process!

What is that flip-up/down shelf thingy in the last pic?

Keep the sawdust flying!

Andre
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby HBarbinMI » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:30 pm

The flip up shelf thingy in the pic is the top piece to my cubby/cabinet thing. Since the front of the cabin area is curved I figured why not use the curved area forward of where a pillow will go to store things, so I am framing it off and the hinged top will be the access area. It's also large enough that I can (theoretically) sit in bed and pop a laptop up there- I take a lot of pictures and edit most on a computer- so any travel will most likely include a laptop- unless we are camping without power, in which case I am hoping to install a battery to run the vent fan and maybe a cabin dome light, and a light for the galley.
The cabinet will be fairly small, as far as what will fit in it, but maybe things like a toiletries/shower bag, some towels, that sort of thing. It looks like I will lose maybe 3 or 4 inches of floor space at most.
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Postby Junkboy999 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:01 pm

Looking good.

Love the puppy looking out the window. All four of you going to be able to sleep in there? :)
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby HBarbinMI » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:29 pm

I am trying to picture all of us in there- I can't even see how we'd get the door shut, lol! I think the young bodies will be tenting it :lol:
My boys still like tents, so I think we are good to go.
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Postby HBarbinMI » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:44 pm

The front cupboard is done! Just finished putting in the wall section, it's not perfect, but I never claimed to be a wood worker, and I am really pretty happy with it :D
112462 112463 112464
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:30 pm

HBarbinMI wrote:The front cupboard is done! Just finished putting in the wall section, it's not perfect, but I never claimed to be a wood worker, and I am really pretty happy with it :D
112462 112463 112464

Very nice! I'd call you a woodworker. :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby HBarbinMI » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Thanks! Now I can't wait to start on the Galley wall/ separation/ shelf counter thingy- I do believe that is the technical term :D
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Postby Breytie » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:17 pm

HBarbinMI wrote:Thanks! Now I can't wait to start on the Galley wall/ separation/ shelf counter thingy- I do believe that is the technical term :D

Looking good, very good. No need to get so technical though, think of us dweebs out there! :lol:

Remember, the Galley wall/ separation/ shelf counter thingy has two jobs, it is a Galley wall/ separation/ shelf counter thingy and it stops the whole body from twisting, so get the vertical parts solidly fixed to at least the 2 walls, roof and/or floor.
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby HBarbinMI » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks for the tip! Now I am a little worried. I worked on it today, and after having my husband stretch out inside to check out the left over space, I opted to go for a single plywood wall, so now I am a little worried about the twisting bit. I started by screwing a board on either wall vertically- I had routed out a channel in each and slid the plywood wall into place. It's a pretty tight fit, very snug, but what is needed to stop the twisting? I have a 2x3 across the top attached to both walls, and the galley area will start with another across it to form the base of the counter top I think. I haven't taken any pics today, maybe I can get some up tomorrow.
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Postby Breytie » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:54 am

No need to worry that much! As long as the upright separator is securely glued and screwed to the the floor and 2 side walls it ain't gonna do no twist. A good stiff sliding fit is perfect for a strong glue join. The glue is the real joining mechanism, the screws keep things in place while the glue sets. Screws can pull out, glue joints very seldom break if well made.

Keep going, don,t run scared now!
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals