Simple Foamie - 5x8 with galley.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Simple Foamie - 5x8 with galley.

Postby katrinad » Fri May 31, 2013 1:01 pm

I think I'm ready to start my build thread. A year after first tossing around the idea of building a teardrop I am finally ready. Downgraded my car for one that can tow. Started gathering basic supplies. The main motivation for this build is to be able to go to far away National Parks without having a lot to set up. Luckily sister in-law gave us a FREE parks pass good for 2013!

I chose to build a foamie so I can build fairly quickly and also not be worried about the weight as much. I bought prebuilt doors to save some time and frustration. Going with Harbor Freight trailer so I don't have to wait on shipping.

Brought home the trailer, foam, and a bunch of supplies from HD. I've gotten some pretty good deals so far on the doors and canvas so I think that's a good start. Hopefully getting the base trailer built and painted this weekend. Need to work on detailed drawings to make sure I have all the dimensions straight.

First Challenge: e I will have is building the base of the 4x8 trailer into a 5x8.
Second (ongoing) challenge: Keeping the homebrew on tap when I'm too busy building instead of brewing.

Will post drawings once and if I have them. But I plan on a 5x8 foamie with galley. Covered with canvas with titebond or gripper (can't decide). Not too many extras. Just some storage and a counter in the back. Simple drawers and shelves instead of full cabinets.
katrinad
Teardrop Builder

Re: Simple Foamie - 5x8 with galley.

Postby wagondude » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:58 pm

I will be watching. what do you have planned for your profile?
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:54 pm

for fast building (no curves) a weekender would be easy to build
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby katrinad » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:20 pm

So much for keeping up with posting on my progress. Also, two week deadline is passed and out the window. New hopeful date is 4th of July.

This past weekend I nearly finished the floor. Tonight and tomorrow I will make the wheel wells. Do yourself a favor and pay the extra $300 for a 5x8 trailer if that's how big you want it. Building out the floor was a huge PITA and time suck. First had to make a frame out of 2x2's and match it up to the HF frame This was difficult in itself because the trailer members were 1.5" and the 2x2's were 1.375" I had to check all my measurements and calculations thrice!

Another word of warning. Harbor Freight trailer directions are wonky. The pieces aren't labeled. And the pictures for the first few steps have the wrong crossmembers shown. That leads to you getting to Step 3 or so using all the wrong parts. If you're using red loctite this is the worst moment ever or just an excuse to get a propane torch.

After getting the frame all assembled, I flipped over the deck to drill counter sink holes where the trailer bolts were so the floor could lay flat. I also drilled all the holes for through the frame and the plywood for bolting the floor to the trailer. Used spray truck bed liner (2 coats / 4 cans) on the bottom. Then stained and polyurethaned the top. Which was dumb since no one will ever see it!

Now I need to finalize my design. But I just happen to be the worst decision maker in the world.

Time to decide on the galley so I can continue making progress. Requirements:
- Maximize space
- Be organized
- Minimize weight and wood.

I figure using plastic bins as drawers is a ton lighter than building cabinetry. I found two options at Ikea the Trofast and Samla bins. They are pretty close in size, but one is a few inches deeper than the other. I apologize in advance for the awful pictures. Doing the math made me a little sad how little storage there actually will be in the galley. The bucket all the way to the right I'm adding a spigot for a water container.

Option (1) Trofast - Will be on rails to slide in and out. 11" deep which is perfect according to the benroy plans for the depth of the counter. The bins also make it to just about the right counter height.

Option (2) Samla bins - Maybe just build a shelf, with a ledge cutout on the back side. They have tiny legs so they would stick in place when you push them back in. You'd have to slightly lift the front to pull it out. These are 15" deep versus 11" so would have slightly more storage. This takes about 4" out of the sleeping area leaving about 76-77" length inside. We are both short so it doesn't make too much difference and we are already cutting the mattress to fit over the wheel wells anyway. But I don't want to get to cramped. I just want to maximize storage space and have everything prepacked The other issue with this setup is it raises the counter 2-3" which in my mockup seems to be too tall.

Although I was initially opposed, I think the white ones look cleaner. Though I doubt that will last long while camping. There does seem to be less space using them though. I'd probably build higher to the ceiling with more bins if thats the case. Need to just make a decision so I can move forward.
Last edited by katrinad on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
katrinad
Teardrop Builder

Postby katrinad » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Next challenge will be trying to support the windows and sunroof I purchased. I'm thinking the fixed window for the roof might be too heavy (~20lbs) to risk the extra stress on the roof. But we were really hoping to have a stargazing/thunderstorm window. The front window should probably be fine.

Here's a few other photos for your amusement.

Bringing home the foam. Got a little windy on the ride. Was pretty nerve wracking.

Doors and foam

In the process of staining the floor. Shortly after this a splinter went clear through my thumb and out the other side.
katrinad
Teardrop Builder

Postby donnan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:44 pm

Would it have been feasable to raise the floor off the trailer so at the floor could go right over the top of the wheels? If so, then you could have a stack of storage space actually in the floor. This was the idea I had when I bought my trailer.

Sometimes it hard to make a firm decision with things as with teardrops there are just so many possibilities. :)

I suppose by making a list of what necessities you want in your build, this would help you to make firm decisions. If something does meet your requirements then that idea is out.

Hang in there.

Paul
Life is too short not to enjoy it :)
When I gamble I like to win.
http://www.realpayers.com
donnan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby katrinad » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Yes, I thought about lifting the floor. But trying to keep it lightweight as possible as I'm towing behind a tiny outback. I already know I have to store any large items like chairs or shade shelter in my car. I'm just trying to keep all the misc. little items like cooking supplies in the tear.

I do have a list of everything that I want to always be packed. Problem is I'm an engineer and therefore think there should always be a perfectly optimal solution if you think about it long enough!

Right now I'm thinking to just extend the floor with a 2x3 on the front and the back to make up the most of the difference and have the roof/front/back walls rest on that extra piece. Kinda ghetto, but it might just work. Then I will only have to shorten the mattress by 2" to 78" which isn't so bad.
katrinad
Teardrop Builder

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:38 am

Good job. Can't wait til the pics start coming in when you start working the foam. :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Hope you did not get tattooed by the splinter; black stain and no gloves. Ouch.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Will love watching you build.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby katrinad » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:31 pm

Another work day. I initially measured the outline, but ended up freehanding the curves to get a less boxy feel. A few iterations later and I think this is the profile I'm settling on. Cut out spots for doors and front window. I was excited to see a mockup with all the sides so I clamped it up to figure out the space inside and in the galley. I need to take it back down and cut more spots for the spars, hatch support, and wheel wells.

The build is starting to get more satisfying. And I will actually have a trailer after all of this! Trailer inspection scheduled for July 1st and first trip starting July 4th long weekend.
katrinad
Teardrop Builder

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:07 pm

Very nice. I really like the shape of it and you seem to be a woman with purpose who knows exactly what she wants. You also obviously have mastered the cutting of foam!! I'm enjoying watching this build.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby katrinad » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:23 pm

Jigsaw went through the foam pretty easy.Not sure what I'm going to use to cut the kerfs for the ceiling though. Bought a circular saw but the shallowist depth is 1.5". It was the sanding the edges that was the worst. I was covered in pink fairy dust head to tow. And that sucks to get in your eyes!
Still not sure if its a little too tall. Tempted to cut it down even more. But I think I just need to go with the flow and forge ahead. There's actually a lot more space in the inside than I initially thought.

So excited! Having a homebrew than taking the rest of the day off to bike ride around the city. Maybe spars, galley supports, and precanvassing the interior tomorrow? :beer:
katrinad
Teardrop Builder

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:13 am

:applause:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby kudzu » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:42 pm

That's looks great. I'm very impressed.