Paul's Base Camp Trailer (Like a Chuck Wagon)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Paul's Base Camp Trailer (Like a Chuck Wagon)

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:58 pm

It looks like it's going to be cute!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:57 pm

Neat looking little trailer. I can strap a few RC planes on there that haul them to the field.
Last edited by Junkboy999 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby paul.luna » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:45 am

Junkboy999 wrote:Neat looking little trailer. I can pr a few RC planes on there that haul them to the field.

Thanks!

Yeah I can see using this for all sorts of events. just sub the camping gear for picnic or other event Tailgate whatever. Room for popup chairs, tables... with a roof rack bikes, kayaks, canoe you name it.

-P
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby paul.luna » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:50 am

S. Heisley wrote:It looks like it's going to be cute!

Thanks but being a guy I was not really trying for cute, Tho my wife doe think it's cute too. :roll:

I got some work done on the Galley I don't really want to post pics till I get a little ore done. But I will say the counter top is fitted, the hole for the Sink has been cut and the drawer for the stove has been installed. Monday night or Tuesday I'll work on the hatch... No Really, I mean it. ;-)

-Paul
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby catleppert » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:24 am

Love the repurpose of the desk organizer! What a great idea!
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby paul.luna » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:58 am

catleppert wrote:Love the repurpose of the desk organizer! What a great idea!

:D Thanks, I was going to put it on craigslist it was sitting there and it just came to me. I ask my wife and she said that would make things easier. I originally was going to cut a little off each side and center it then realized I would be cheating myself out on a large opening so I opted to make it asymmetrical.
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:16 am

As to your hinge problem.....

I have used standard strap hinges on 2 of my 3 builds a piano hinge on the other. I placed a wide butyl tape under the hinges bloused loosly to allow for the flex. added the hinges then covered all with a 1/8 inch neopreme rubber strip and 1/8 x 1 1/2 aluminum flat stock never a leak ever.

P.S. you might want to leave the dog ears long to carry the drips away from the trailer sides.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby paul.luna » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:21 am

bobhenry wrote:As to your hinge problem.....

I have used standard strap hinges on 2 of my 3 builds a piano hinge on the other. I placed a wide butyl tape under the hinges bloused loosly to allow for the flex. added the hinges then covered all with a 1/8 inch neopreme rubber strip and 1/8 x 1 1/2 aluminum flat stock never a leak ever.

P.S. you might want to leave the dog ears long to carry the drips away from the trailer sides.

I like it bobhenry! Where do you get the rubber? I'm tempted to use an inner tube from my mountain as a test.
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby paul.luna » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:22 am

I want a cool Roof Rack I keep searching Craigslist to see if I can find a cool one for little money. I am out of work so I'm doing this on the cheap.
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dadvball » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:44 pm

paul.luna wrote:
bobhenry wrote:As to your hinge problem.....

I like it bobhenry! Where do you get the rubber? I'm tempted to use an inner tube from my mountain as a test.

Garage door companies sell rubber that slides into aluminum retainers on the bottom of garage doors. My people in the business call it T-rubber. It's available in 3", 4", and 6" widths. It can be cut to whatever length you need. We carry it in 3" and 4" widths. The ends are shaped like a "T" for the extrusion but you could cut that off. Home Depot and Lowes may also carry it but most likely in the narrower 3" width.
Dadvball
Teardrop Inspector

Postby legojenn » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:51 pm

I hope that I'm not breaking any rules responding to a a seven year old thread.

I like the idea of this and am considering plagiarising it, er I mean be inspired by it. My little Harbor Freight I just picked up a minivan for weekends and vacations. Hopefully COVID will have abated by May next year to allow for some road trips. I don't want to cook or store goods in the van, or have water and electric running through it, but would love to have the capacity to be able to load the cooler, install the bed in the van, pack the dog and bags, hook up and go.

My only concern is that it looks top heavy. How does it handle? How is it in the wind?

Anyhow, good design regardless,

Jenn
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals