Theresa's 4 x 8 Ginger Gypsy Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Theresa's 4 x 8 Ginger Gypsy Build

Postby catleppert » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi there! Well, this was originally going to be a 4 x 8 vardo-type build. However, after much discussion with hubby Chuck and several of our fellow Land of Lincoln and St. Croix chapter buddies, the vardo would be like towing a brick. So I sat down at the picnic table with some graph paper and drew a basic profile that is simple yet still has the ability for me to have my barn-style doors on the back.

You may wonder why this is called the "Ginger Gypsy" build. That is going to be her name. See, I am a new member of the Sisters on the Fly, and the Sisters typically name their trailers. Here is the basic design that hubby mocked up in CAD.

Last edited by catleppert on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Re: Theresa's 4 x 8 Ginger Gypsy Build

Postby catleppert » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:13 pm

July 31, 2013

The base is a HF trailer. Here we are, putting it together and relocating the axle using the approximate 60/40 rule.

Have to pack up for the night. Unfortunately, I have to go back to work tomorrow. Hubby is off for another week, so he will finish the trailer tomorrow and maybe into Friday. We will go purchase much of the raw materials on Saturday afternoon.

More pics to follow as we make progress!
Last edited by catleppert on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby catleppert » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:14 pm

August 1, 2013

HF Trailer is all put together! Will have to get different tires - we noticed yesterday that the ones that came with it are rated for maximum 55 MPH! That's not gonna work, lol....

Last edited by catleppert on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:33 pm

Run 'em. Lots of people have and I don't recall having heard any serious issues that weren't attributed to some other issue than the tires. Plenty of success stories using the stock tires towing at unreasonable speeds! Consensus seems to be that it is just the OEM covering conservative liability issues.

Make sure you clean and repack the wheel bearings before towing. Lot's of info here about how the goop supplied is just preservative, not grease.

I've personally towed heavy loads on same/similar tires at regular highway speeds with no issues and normal tire temperatures, albeit at the recommended inflation rates. Some people like to lower the tire pressure to compensate for spring rates that are higher than typical loading. i.e. a 600 lbs camper rides better on a 1250-1500 lb rated trailer with less tire pressure, but at the risk of overheating the tires.

Search the forums and you will find lots of info to back this up.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby catleppert » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:42 am

Thanks, KC! You're right - we do plan to use them. Just had a panic moment, but it has passed now. Thanks for the reassurance.... :-D

Hubby is hitting the big box store to get raw materials today. As much as I want to be in on every part of the process, since he is off today, this will save time. That means we can actually work on the build on Saturday afternoon instead of spending all kinds of time at the store. Hopefully he won't get a case of what I call Menards ADD - all those shiny tools distract him from the task at hand, LOL. (Hear that Chuck? FOCUS, lol.) [I am sure he will see this later.]
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:56 pm

Boy, you guys don't waste any time. You should be done by the end of the week. :lol: Have fun making it yours. It will be cool to follow along and see how it turns out.

PS....Are going to put a small air foil on the back . It will help with water and allow you to square up the back.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby catleppert » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi, Steve! LOL - well, a rolling stone gathers no moss, right? We have a deadline on this one (mid-October) and Chuck is a man on a mission. When the neighbor saw us putting the HF trailer together and we told him about the deadline - he said there is no way. So Chuck is out to prove him wrong. Doesn't have to be completely done, just road worthy and campable!

We are tweaking the design to add the fin on the back. I am still leaning toward Shasta-fin type thingy - but my own design, maybe wings like you suggested? Still working on that!

Soooo, I am thinking for the wood sides, using an oil-base enamel paint like the Rustoleum custom colors that they sell at Menards. What do you think?

Oh, and Steve - I know you have a dark roof - black marine vinyl? Do you think that contributes to higher temp in the cabin? Was going to go with white EPDM for roof, but am leaning towards red sides and black top to match my Jeep. I am sure the white would be more reflective, but not sure if it is enough to give up on my desire for Jeep-matching aesthetics....
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby catleppert » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Trailer deck built. Hubby added some 2 x 2 framing to raise the deck a little bit. What you see is the bottom of the trailer - all waterproofed with 4 coats of Minwax oil-based spar urethane. It is in the garage drying - he will bolt it down to the frame tomorrow.

Last edited by catleppert on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby catleppert » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:25 am

Deck is all bolted down! Next step, build walls. But that will have to wait til next week. Hubby is taking off to Thomson Causeway with his bro and then Friday we leave for the LOL chapter Meet in the Middle gathering at Clinton Lake. Ciao, talk atcha soon!

catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:27 am

I say Chuck can do it. Behind every Man is a determined Women! He will get it done. On the roof. Two of mine have black roofs. One was epoxy and the other was the Marine vinyl. Does it get warm inside during the day? Yes. But by the evening I run the Fantastic fan and draw the heat out. It cools down fast. For me it is not an issue. Black is easy to keep clean and if it matches the Jeep , I say go for it. You might ask Glenn, but I think he uses a black rubber roof membrane on some of his. See you guys in a couple days!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby catleppert » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Chuck had a great time camping with his bro and then we had a blast at Meet in the Middle - but this week it was time to get back to working on the Gypsy.

Deck now has a couple coats of spar urethane for water proofing.

Side walls with 24-inch radius have been cut:

Whitewashed beadboard paneling is what we are using for interior skin. Cut in half and turned 90 degrees so the stripes are oriented correctly. Here we are gluing them down and waiting for the Tightbond to cure.....

Once cured, cut the paneling around the radius with the router and cleaned up the edges. Here is what it looks like on the trailer - not bolted on yet, but you get the idea.

The gypsy is only going to have one door. Chuck is double checking the placement/size of the door. We are going to a salvage yard on Saturday to look for........ well, windows and anything else we might be able to make work. There will only be one door on curbside and streetside will be windows only.
Last edited by catleppert on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby catleppert » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:32 pm

Hi there! Salvage yard was a big success. Picked up a couple of bus windows, a side table with telescoping leg, and a little folding table that was a TV table in the bedroom of a big motorhome. Here are the pics of my finds.

We are makin sawdust right now, will have more build pics tomorrow!
Last edited by catleppert on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby catleppert » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:45 pm

Edited....
Last edited by catleppert on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:50 pm

We knew what you meant. If it bothers you, you can go to your original post, select the "edit" button, and fix it. (I fix my typos often.) :D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby catleppert » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:20 pm

Hi, KC, did just that from my tablet. Couldn't do it from my iPhone for some stupid reason....

Theresa
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals