Theresa's 4 x 8 Ginger Gypsy Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Theresa's 4 x 8 Ginger Gypsy Build

Postby MrMatt » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:29 am

catleppert wrote:Today was incredibly productive! It was so productive that I didn't take hardly any pictures! Will take some and post tomorrow. The process of painting with this enamel, sanding in between, is very time consuming! We got a 3rd coat of enamel cut with mineral spirits on, dried, then sanded, and then the first full coat of enamel. Also got paint on the side door and the two rear doors. They should be ready for the first coat of full-strength enamel tomorrow.

I also have been working on my design for a changing room that will be attached to the side of the camper. My original design using 3/4 PVC worked, but it wasn't ideal. A few days ago, our canopy shelter we had put up for the winter over the camper - it came down in high wind. Hubby had thrown away the tarp part, and had piled up the metal poles. Long story short, I used the metal poles from that and made myself the framework for my changing room. It is about 5x4, and will attach to the side of the camper, and will utilize expandable tent poles for supports. The curtains are fabric shower curtains. I can't take a picture of the whole thing until I can put the brackets on the side of the camper, and can't do that till all the painting is done. I'm pretty excited about it! It's gonna be cool!

Will take/post some pics tomorrow!

I'm looking for ward to seeing the changing room as I've been thinking about doing something like this too. Shower curtains? Nice idea, I have been thinking about repurposing some old tents, cut me up and sew.
MrMatt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby catleppert » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:52 am

MrMatt wrote:
catleppert wrote:Today was incredibly productive! It was so productive that I didn't take hardly any pictures! Will take some and post tomorrow. The process of painting with this enamel, sanding in between, is very time consuming! We got a 3rd coat of enamel cut with mineral spirits on, dried, then sanded, and then the first full coat of enamel. Also got paint on the side door and the two rear doors. They should be ready for the first coat of full-strength enamel tomorrow.

I also have been working on my design for a changing room that will be attached to the side of the camper. My original design using 3/4 PVC worked, but it wasn't ideal. A few days ago, our canopy shelter we had put up for the winter over the camper - it came down in high wind. Hubby had thrown away the tarp part, and had piled up the metal poles. Long story short, I used the metal poles from that and made myself the framework for my changing room. It is about 5x4, and will attach to the side of the camper, and will utilize expandable tent poles for supports. The curtains are fabric shower curtains. I can't take a picture of the whole thing until I can put the brackets on the side of the camper, and can't do that till all the painting is done. I'm pretty excited about it! It's gonna be cool!

Will take/post some pics tomorrow!

I'm looking for ward to seeing the changing room as I've been thinking about doing something like this too. Shower curtains? Nice idea, I have been thinking about repurposing some old tents, cut me up and sew.

I just started sewing his past winter, and I did originally plan to sew my own, but when I did the math, the fabric alone was well over $100 as outdoor fabric is expensive! The fabric shower curtains are cheap, though. I got three of them (6x6) for $45, and they are already hemmed straight and have large grommets installed, lol. I plan to sew on Velcro pieces and straps to finish them off.
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby MrMatt » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:37 pm

Some of the work s already done on the shower curtain, good thinking!
MrMatt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby catleppert » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:31 pm

No pics to post today, simply because I spent much of the day putting final coats of paint on stuff and didn't want to get any paint on my phone. Final paint is on everything exterior now. Except for some permanent "shims" that we had to install in the door window opening to make the window fit.

Today was frustrating for hubby. When we started this build, I had a pretty tight budget. Two things we skimped on have caused him (us) the most work. The first is using paint for the exterior. Should have spent the money for aluminum. Period.

And my grand idea of using recycled bus windows has been the bane of his existence. At least for the one in the door. But he's got it all figured out now and it's gonna work, but it's been a huge pain in the arse.

So, future builds - real RV windows and aluminum skin. But this has been fun at least for me, because I really didn't do much in his first build except offer an extra set of hands when he needed it. THis one I've been a little more hands on.

I have to go out of town for work again (4th week in a row) so he will keep on keepin on, and Thursday we head out for our first teardrop gathering of the year! Can't wait!
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby catleppert » Sat May 03, 2014 11:41 pm

Great progress today! Side Window in, roof and some of the trim on!

catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby catleppert » Sat May 03, 2014 11:45 pm

And here it is with the roof done and most of the trim on.... and Chuck, her designer/creator!

catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun May 04, 2014 10:33 am

Nicely done guys! When do we get to see it? :applause:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby catleppert » Sun May 04, 2014 8:49 pm

Thanks, Steve! I am not sure. I need to check with Randy. I'd like to bring it to Memorial Day just to show it off, but I don't know if he's got the room....
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Mon May 05, 2014 6:37 am

Nice clean trim work! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 05, 2014 7:26 pm

...Looks good! Congratulations. Now comes the fun part: getting out there and enjoying your creation! :applause: :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shar » Tue May 06, 2014 12:05 am

Looks beautiful!
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby Starseeker » Fri May 23, 2014 12:14 pm

Great job. I love the Red, White and Blue colors :applause:
Aaron
KF5VBV
Starseeker
Teardrop Builder

Postby catleppert » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi there! I haven't posted in forever, have been so busy with work and doing all the little finishing details. We still aren't quite done, but she had her official maiden voyage last month. It was a great weekend with some great friends!

A quick pic of my bedding, the quilt I made, fuzzy pillow that my daughter gave me, and the lovely pillowcase that my SOTF secret Santa gave me.

Side view.

The galley.

Our campsite!

Hubby's camper on the site next to me!

And..... The drive home. My first time towing her anywhere other than around the block.

catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:09 pm

It looks good! Congratulations on a job well done and on your maiden voyage. Now, you have His and Hers campers! :lol: :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Sweeet little rig! Have you had a chance to weigh it yet?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals