Building the "Heart of Gold" - Done 3/9/2014

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Building the "Heart of Gold" - started!

Postby nevadatear » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:00 am

So is will it look like a cantaloupe and you live in Fallon?
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:21 am

Heart of Gold....since it will be traveling, will you be using an infinite improbability drive for propulsion? :thinking:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:24 am

You are a big Neil Young fan and have recently been given the gift of life by receiving a heart transplant? :D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby drewh1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:08 pm

KCStudly wrote:You are a big Neil Young fan and have recently been given the gift of life by receiving a heart transplant? :D

I do like Neil Young but am definitely not getting a heart transplant.

High Desert wrote:Heart of Gold....since it will be traveling, will you be using an infinite improbability drive for propulsion? :thinking:

:lol: Definitely using Infinite Improbability Drive, I already use it all the time anyway.

nevadatear wrote:So is will it look like a cantaloupe and you live in Fallon?

My new design will look something like this:

Heart of Gold.jpg
Heart of Gold.jpg (6.35 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
"If only I knew what I know now when I started . . ."

My Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=56916
drewh1
Donating Member

Postby drewh1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:10 pm

I have a template! It seems that budget will determine my build steps. Don't have enough $ to buy the trailer, so I think I will cut out the sides next.

My local lumber yard has nice 3/4 inch 5 x 9 foot sheets of plywood - perfect for my sides! so I am going with un-insulated solid ply sides. I will bond 1/8 " finished ply to the inside.

IMG_2368.JPG
IMG_2368.JPG (142.16 KiB) Viewed 3074 times
Last edited by drewh1 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby drewh1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:13 pm

The local Airstream Dealer got a Camp-Inn 550 Classic on trade. I am going to go look at it and take a lot of pictures! I like the design of the galley - it simplifies building the hatch and makes a smaller lighter hatch as well. Gonna steal as many ideas as I can :twisted:

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby grantstew8 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:37 pm

In the uk there are loads of caravan storage sites where caravans/rv site for most of their lives. I went to one, picked up a rotten two berth for £100 which was reduced to £50 when I said I was building a teardrop with a total budget of £350. I've got lots if parts and idea from the caravan and then cut it apart in about 1/2 an hour with a circular saw. Kept the deck and trimmed it to 5'.
There is a caravan breakers near us that sell chassis for £150.

Not sure if any of this is applicable in your neck of the woods but thought I would share it with you.
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby kk4czd » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:58 pm

drewh1 wrote:
My new design will look something like this:

Heart of Gold.jpg

Did you remember to pack your towel and Babelfish?
kk4czd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby drewh1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Yes - I have my towel! I couldn't resist watching the newer version of the movie again, two heads are better than one!

Rough cut my sides today and purchased the wood for the base. Haven't ordered a trailer yet but will do that when I get back from vacation.

My lumber yard had 4 x 10 sheets of structural grade CDF plywood. So no splicing. Without the door cutouts, they weigh about 58#'s rough cut so maybe 40# with the doors cutout. My plan is to use 1/8" birch laminated to the inside. I will seal the outside with epoxy and float aluminum.

IMG_2409.JPG
IMG_2409.JPG (138.98 KiB) Viewed 2921 times

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby drewh1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:46 pm

Got my Whiteside bits. I splurged and got a top and bottom bearing. Thought I wouldn't need both but I needed them right away because of the way i pieced my template together! I found it easier to route one side from the bottom and one from the top.

I am finding out how difficult it is to execute each step perfectly and already made a couple of mistakes doing the routing of the sides. My respect grows for those beautiful woodies out there.

Tomorrow, I'll work on the splicing the floor sections and maybe cutting out the blocking for the top. I also want to lay my plan out on the sides to see how it feels full size. Then I am stalled until I get back from Belize and order the trailer!

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:33 pm

drewh1 wrote:I am finding out how difficult it is to execute each step perfectly and already made a couple of mistakes...

Amazing how one "Ah SH*T cancels out a dozen "Atta boys". :lol:

The following is kind of my mantra. Mostly I'm reciting this as a reminder to myself (I tend to get caught up in the details). :? Feel free to take from it what you like:
Don't rush. Stick to the plan (mostly). Do the best that you can. Fix what you must, but don't be so obsessive with a perfect finish that you cripple yourself. A few little warts is better than one big wart. A few little warts everywhere is better than one little wart in a prominent location on an otherwise perfect build. You will get good at fixing and/or disguising your mistakes. Sometimes it is easier to celebrate a mistake by adding a camouflaging decorative feature, than it is to make it disappear altogether unseen. Learn from your mistakes and do better as you go.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:40 pm

One more thing. Sometimes, rather than patching up a small area, it is easier to cut out a larger area and graft in new material. It may seem drastic at first, but sometimes it is easier to get it right.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby drewh1 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:19 pm

KCStudly wrote:
drewh1 wrote:I am finding out how difficult it is to execute each step perfectly and already made a couple of mistakes...

The following is kind of my mantra. Mostly I'm reciting this as a reminder to myself (I tend to get caught up in the details). :? Feel free to take from it what you like:
Don't rush. Stick to the plan (mostly). Do the best that you can. Fix what you must, but don't be so obsessive with a perfect finish that you cripple yourself. A few little warts is better than one big wart. A few little warts everywhere is better than one little wart in a prominent location on an otherwise perfect build. You will get good at fixing and/or disguising your mistakes. Sometimes it is easier to celebrate a mistake by adding a camouflaging decorative feature, than it is to make it disappear altogether unseen. Learn from your mistakes and do better as you go.

Good advice, thanks - I am learning a lot of new things and expect to make mistakes. I just keep telling myself "it doesn't have to be perfect, you won't care about the blemishes when you are out camping" :thumbsup:

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby drewh1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Went and looked at the Porter Cable Router - The base plate accepts heavy duty brass bushings stock, you just need to buy a bushing kit. Wish I had bought this instead of going cheap on the Ryobi. Live and learn!

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby iregan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:12 am

Hey there,
I think you'll be fine with the ryobi, just use router bits with bearings to follow the template. You can get bits with both top bearings and bottom bearings.
If its a case of worrying about what is under the material you are routing on, use some cheap insulation foam etc underneath as a spoil board so you can route right through without hurting anything important. I admit I have Porter Cable routers mostly, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a Ryobi, its way better than the crappy old Skil one I still use on some things :)
Regan
iregan
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals