Colorado Teardrop Build Journal (Build Complete) (kayakdlk)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Colorado Teardrop Build Journal (Build Complete) (kayakd

Postby GeekFisher » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:37 pm

Awesome build. Might have a question or two. Especially on doors/hatch weatherstripping.

Hope you still enjoy it ! Ever found a name ?
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby wysedav » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:24 pm

I agree -- Awesome build.

I was planning on using aluminum exterior on my build but the fiberglass looks like it might be a good/better option. I'm assuming you used 6oz cloth on all of the exterior surfaces, how much epoxy did you end up using? I've built a few stip canoes so I think a teardrop should be pretty straight forward.

Let me know.

Thanks.
wysedav
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kayakdlk » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:10 am

geekFisher Long before I knew about Teardrops I called my Jeep and labeled it the “Weekender”, so when I built my teardrop and came up with no good names I called and labeled it the “Weekender II” It is not a Weekender style trailer but that is its name

As for the doors and hatch I used the Steve Frederick’s build manual and seals from Home Depot

Wysedav - I used 7oz cloth on the top and bottom of the floor and all exterior and the tongue box. I bought 21 yards of 60” wide cloth and then had to buy a little but more to finish the tongue box. I bought a 3 gallon Raka 350 non blush epoxy kit and then another 1.5 gallon kit that I used about 1/2 of it. Three coats of epoxy all around

I used the 7oz cloth because I got a deal and is was cheaper than anything else at the time. If I were to do it again, I think 3-4 oz would be fine and it would use less epoxy

Dan
Last edited by kayakdlk on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Brushtrooper » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:04 pm

Kayakdlk, I just came across your build. What an awesome job of documenting and craftsmanship. Wife and I just bought a 76’ CJ7, yellow like yours. Now having visions of a similar trailer :) What a beauty!
Brushtrooper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby NevadaBlue » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:53 pm

I just finished reading your journal. What a fine trailer you built! Excellent work on the rig and the write up. Thank you.
I saved a few of your images for use in my build. If it is ever finished, you will have influenced it in a positive way.
Thanks again!

:)
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals