Foamie Plans EVOLVE into Truck Cap TTT - BUILD JOURNAL

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Foamie Plans EVOLVE into Truck Cap TTT - BUILD JOURNAL

Postby JDHIV » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:42 pm

UPDATE:

I started work again after a long time off so progress has slowed....but it is mostly done (i.e., "done" = Campable).

I have gotten the trailer reggie renewed and the lights are all fully installed and a little different than the one pic I posted above...but it is all done...it took me the better part of a Sunday and then found out the wiring harness in my car was not installed correctly by Pep Boys ....so my buddy helped me confirm that I installed the lights on the camper correctly and un-wired the improperly installed wiring harness and converter. I ordered a new one that is all plug-n-play (no splicing) from eTrailer.com and it should be here in a few days. :twisted:

While I still need ("need") to put a more permanent solution in place for covering the windows and protecting the front window.

I DO need to close a gap in the wheel wells on each side and get a couple of hasps (sp?) to hold the back wall of the cap into the trailer..........and put in some weather stripping so I don't need the huge (H U G E !!) tarp to cover it up.

A few other things too...but I WILL go camping in it locally soon!!!!!

_John
JDHIV
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JDHIV » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:41 pm

UPDATE ON MY CAMPER BUILDING PROJECT:

1...I installed the "door stop" and weather stiripping and the hasps and other water sealing off the whole rear wall.

2....cut all 3 of the j-channel aluminum "rain channels"

3....installed one of the J-channels with some vinyl shower curtain-liner as one of the side-window coverings.

4...maybe a few other little things..but not sure.

5.....Monday the new wiring harness shows up so my car can properly set all the blinkers and brake-lights on the trailer...THEN I can tow it and see just what it currently weighs.

6....a little more and this bitch is campable!!!!!

7...I need to re-pack the bearings in the wheels before any long distance hauls...but my buddy Thomas Vitti and maybe Frank R. said they are up for a Cathedral Pines (middle Island) camping trip soon..................Can't wait!!!!!
JDHIV
Teardrop Advisor

Re: UPDATES from recent progress

Postby working on it » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:12 pm

JDHIV wrote:Driver's rear light temporarily mounted with the bracket that will hold the license plate...I'm going to have to run a wire from the mounting bolt for the light since it is supposed to be the ground and directly touching the trailer metal.

I'll need to paint the plywood that the light mounts to:

===I still need to finish the lights and then it is essentially campable..._John

The placement of your side marker light probably won't meet regulations for visibility. They have to be able to be seen not only from the side, but also from a forward angle, as shown in the attachment.
trailergram_1.gif
lighting visibility diagram
trailergram_1.gif (17.82 KiB) Viewed 739 times
You might want to move it over to the edge.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby JDHIV » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:32 am

Thanks! :D

I actually didn't take updated pics of where the rear lights actually finally ended up....I may still have them inset a little too much but they are closer to the sides. I was limited to how the lights bolted into my wooden frame and not the trailer and the integrated license plate holder couldn't stick out past the wheels...but if I ever get in trouble and have to move them....I'll mount them like you did and move them up to just behind the wheels...but I think that'd get more negative attention as they wouldn't be at the rear...I'll have to go take some new pics tomorrow and see (and show) where they are now.

_John
JDHIV
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Build Journals