Jonnyo ALL ALUMINUM extra large tiny trailer!!!!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Jonnyo ALL ALUMINUM extra large tiny trailer!!!!

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm

The trailer is light now, but maybe not light enough to be convenient in all conditions (uneven ground, rubble, etc.) when you are done.

That said, your frame looks to be plenty long enough that as long as the cabin and A-frame don't crunch into the corners of your TV you should be able to shorten it some. Don't forget to account for odd angles when considering this. The earth is not always flat.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:27 pm

jonnyo wrote:...Now my question for anyone that as knowledge about tongue lenght....i want to shorten the tongue to the bare minimum. i consider it too long right now. by the time i put a coupler...and the ball behind the bar... it s gonna be too long. also, a shorter tongue reduce flex in a aluminum trailer. That is a good thing as reducing stress on a aluminum trailer is a wise thing. So, how do i determine how short the tongue can be? i m not concern about backing up...the trailer is so light, i will simply unhook it and move it by hand.

I just asked the same thing this weekend, in another thread,
working on it wrote: Concerning: relatively short tongue By the way, I've wanted to know how to decide on getting the proportionally correct tongue length for a trailer build. At roughly 3.5 feet, on a 11.75 foot long trailer, the tongue my TTT is 30% of the total. What is the standard to go by? I selected the optimal length I thought would fit these criteria: the fit inside my garage bay (with room to work on both ends), turning radius of my TVs (no contact of TV tail to TTT body within the "turn-interference line"
photo20131117_164720.jpg
photo20131117_164720.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 3932 times
, >>see this thread for more info viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58573&hilit=interference ), and the overall side appearance (proportionally pleasing to my eye).96776 I have added more items on the front of the trailer since that photo, changing the overall proportional look, and would've added another 2 feet of tongue, if I was to have that choice again, but what is the agreed "standard" for choosing length? Since a high proportion of trailers built by readers of this forum are on Harbor Freight "utility" trailer frames, and some are extended in both fore and aft dimensions, surely some have had to extend their tongues for that reason, while others have not. Others build on scavenged frames with all sorts of tongue lengths. There is an "agreed" standard for ballpark tongue/total weight (10%), and for trailer balance (i.e.-the 60/40 fore/aft rule), so how about a ballpark figure to shoot for on tongue length? Added info, FYI: I overlooked this thread before, but in 2004 there was this thread viewtopic.php?t=298&p=1890 that gives a look at the "standards". For single-beam drawbars like mine, Mike suggests 3'-4' (mine is in the middle!).
In the last referenced thread, mikeschn included this visual aid
tongue std lengths.jpg
tongue std lengths.jpg (66.74 KiB) Viewed 3932 times
to get a ballpark figure for a A-frame tongue. A word of caution, from a person who always assumed his trailer would be easy to maneuver by hand: maybe, maybe not. Now at 1515 lbs, my "will be under 1000 lbs" trailer is a bear to move, under less than perfect conditions. It could occur in your build too, so maybe using your vehicle to maneuver it will be a better option.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jonnyo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:58 pm

took a break during the cold canadian winter. This weekend, i was back at it. Skinning the trailer and also putting on a deck of 3/4 plywood. First time i put a material other than aluminum!!!

it was a challenge working alone with sheet aluminum.... holding this against the trailer... some peice were 14 feet long by 5.5 feet high... it was one logistical nightmare challenge. but i manage to do it all...even get a huge 16 feet by 6.5 feet aluminum sheet on the roof by myself.

I used VHB tape to glue everyting. WOW...that tape is amazing and so easy to work with. I m gonna use this to fix the inside finish panel also.. it s such a dream to work with!.

i think i m at about 400=500lbs perhaps?? i need to finish it light....so build smart!

the next step.... lights...i have no clue how to do lights and how many i need. i would like to kept it simple. Then, i need to install a front jack/wheel because it s getting harder and harder to move by hand holding all the weight of the trailer. my driveway is very uneven. Then, insulation and finishing inside, build a rear lift door, and make the holds for my 5 windows and put a door in!. I want to go camp within the next month...should be a busy time!!!
jonnyo
Teardrop Master

Postby Martiangod » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:03 am

Trailer looks great. I skinned mine in the winter, when it got warm out it was oil canning real bad. had to pull my corner trim and trim some off my sheet aluminum to give it some expansion room.
You are going to have a nice rig when your done. :applause:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby Ben » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:50 am

Looking good Johnny o
Going broke quick fixing a bad start!
Ben
Teardrop Master

Postby jonnyo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:20 pm

i got a 4X8 diamond plate for the front of the trailer. Took some left over to make some fenders. That was a lot of fun and nerve racking to bend those by hand. I think i could get decent at this after a few sets

here s my fenders!

then it s time for insulation and electric system for the outside lights. watch a few youtube about slicing, joining wires etc...did a lot of mistake but so far...when plugging in the car..everything seems to work...i have lights!!!

now my question.... is 1'' of insulation enough? i only have a 1/8 sheet finish to put in and it s done. I will do plenty of winter camping in canada so i want this to be comfy and nice... anything else i could do tho get this trailer warm? or is it pointless as a ceramic heather will warm up this small space relatively easy?

tomorrow...windows goes in... i have 5 of them, all double pan glass. Then, it will be time for the main door. And the project that scare me the most, building the rear ramp door!!!!
jonnyo
Teardrop Master

Postby RandyG » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:39 pm

I think where you have insulation will be fine but where all of the AL frame studs are, that will have negative effects. Is adding another layer of foam an option you would cosider? Maybe just some 1/2"...
Keep up the fast pace, from the looks of it you are flyin! :thumbsup:
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby jonnyo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:01 pm

well, this summer as pass by and i didn't even touch or work on my trailer! so many project, family, baby, bbq, races etc...

and now, i have book a trip leaving in 21 days to banff, Alberta! i got the pressure to get this done!

i started working on the trailer again this week, finishing windows, the skin, waterproofing, trimming, floor, walls,

i need to finish the side and rear door, make sure they are watertight, then, even if the inside isn't completely done, it s still should work to stay for a few days with my wife, 9 months old baby, and our big German shepherd!

lights are working! that is a good sign!

everyone as is window!!!! 5 total

now i need to build the wall between the cabin and the kitchen. i have found a beautifull birch finish and vernish on both rise 3/4 plywood. Now, that isnt the lightest sheet in the world but it s pretty light compare to a normal low grade 3/4. But as mostly all in this is aluminum or insulation board...i m having a hard time pulling the trigger and adding all this weight. I m not sure how heavy the trailer is right now but i think it s relatively light with about 145lbs tongue weight and i m thinking in the 1000lbs range total. any way to weight a trailer using a bathroom scale? is there a technicque to weight each corner? and add up???
jonnyo
Teardrop Master

Postby Sheddie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:16 am

Hi Jonnyo,

jonnyo wrote: I m not sure how heavy the trailer is right now but i think it s relatively light with about 145lbs tongue weight and i m thinking in the 1000lbs range total. any way to weight a trailer using a bathroom scale? is there a technicque to weight each corner? and add up???

Yes you can weigh it on your bathroom scales.
First and most important, for health and safety regulations, don't tell the wife you plan to use them. :frightened:
Apart from the scales you need a tape, a couple of planks (one will do), about 4 or 5 foot long is a convenient size, a few blocks of wood (4x2 or 2x4) they only need to be about a foot long, and something to jack the camper off the ground. I used two planks when I did mine so that I could set up both sides at the same time, and keep the TD level.
Jack the wheels off the ground high enough to get the planks under them and sitting on a 4x2 at right angles to the plank. Place the blocks exactly 4 feet apart, and the centre of the wheel exactly 1 foot from one of the blocks. Chock the wheels so that it won't roll off. Support the front of the trailer at the tow ball coupling so that it is level. New go back to one of the planks and put the scales under the plank end which should be exactly 3 feet from the wheel centre with a 4x2 across the centre of the scales. Zero the scales before you lower the wheel on to the plank so that you are not weighing the plank and blocks as well. Record the reading on the scales, then repeat the procedure on the other side. These figures may differ slightly, depending on the loading in the camper. Now put the scales under the tow ball coupling, remembering to zero the scales with what ever chocks you have on them, before you lower the coupling down. This also gives you your coupling weight. Now take the figures from each of the wheels and multiply them by four, then add the two together and add the coupling weight. eg. Left wheel 80lbs x4 = 320lbs. Right wheel 85lbs x4 = 340lbs. Coupling 145lbs. 320+340+145= 805 lbs.
I hope this all makes sense. :NC Depending on what weight your scales will take you can put the wheel in the centre of the plank and multiply by two, or directly on the scales and just add the three figures together. :eyebrows2:
Regards Frank
PS. You should be able to get this done before the notices the scales gone. :angel:
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby finleycraft » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:22 pm

Been a while since there was an update. Did you get it all finished up? If so lets see some pictures of the finished product. :twisted: If not dont worry the bug will bite soon spring is on us now! :thumbsup:
finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Vedette » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:14 am

Don't know how I missed this post.
Canada you say. :thinking:
After looking at the pictures and the seasonal surroundings.........my guess is Eastside Rd. at the Penticton end of Skaha Lake.
We might be neighbours in this small world???
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Camp4Life » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:49 pm

I'm also wondering about any updates... ?

Also, what was the cost to build so far? Aluminum isn't cheap! :shock:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby retep » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:14 am

This is an incredible build Jonny. Would also love to hear any updates. I have to say the last set of pictures are beautiful.
retep
Teardrop Master

Postby jonnyo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:54 am

finleycraft wrote:Been a while since there was an update. Did you get it all finished up? If so lets see some pictures of the finished product. :twisted: If not dont worry the bug will bite soon spring is on us now! :thumbsup:

I didn't update but I never stopped building. I finish it a few months after my last post but never shared...I was too busy camping! And I discovered the world of airstream and polishing aluminum....so I went crazy and decided to polish this one..... oh...bad decision..... way too many hours!!!!!

I have learn so much from working on this trailer....it s been fun and we enjoy it a lot as a family...but with a second kid...and plan to have a 3rd one....I sold it 6 months ago..... about 1100lbs of aluminum....about 4500-5000$ into it. I was still able to move it by hand and people where always in shock of seeing me walk with it in the campground ....never had to back it! tongue weight was around 125lbs.....more when I loaded the underbid storage compartment.
jonnyo
Teardrop Master

Postby jonnyo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:08 am

the story doesn't end here.... I have developed over the last few years a serious life condition called ''addicition to anything that is camping''

2 years ago, I was on a road trip in northern alberta with my 1.5 year old daughter. (we now own a pick up truck!) We saw a poor airstream argosy sitting in a field...alone in the rain.... in rough shape. 30minutes later, I had found the farmer guy and 2000$ later, we here on our way with our new project....

this one as truly been one of the most fun project I have done..... gutted it 100% and rebuild the inside with a kids room with 3 beds all full size adult bed..... and a giant front king size bed for me, the wife and witch ever kids end up jumping in our bed!!!!

replace the axles, floor, some body work.... AND a 45$ paint job..... this is our new family machine for family of 5 plus one big dog!!!

the airstream still live in a field....but it does have a very busy second life now with a young family!

jonnyo
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals