Jonnyo ALL ALUMINUM extra large tiny trailer!!!!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Jonnyo ALL ALUMINUM extra large tiny trailer!!!!

Postby ST1100 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi Jonnyo - very fine build !
I do not have the money to buy a MIG welder, so I have to go the riveted way for my full metal build.
But your way is the better. Maybe I try that in my next life or when I build my first nearly full size trailer.
I dream of a 12 x 6 ft tiny airstream.
I'm looking forward to watch your progress.
Tom from Germany :beer:
50 years camper and 35 years biker !
1977 Eriba Troll
2001 Honda GL1800 with trailer hitch, Ford Focus Pininfarina Convertible with hitch
ST1100
Teardrop Master

Postby rand_98201 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:57 pm

Very cool and very gutsy welding alu on your trailer without having done so before.I think its definitely the hardest welding there is to do in my opinion.Though Im no professional welder just a DIYer.
rand_98201
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ben » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:48 pm

Very nice start I'll be watching!
Going broke quick fixing a bad start!
Ben
Teardrop Master

Postby Martiangod » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:07 pm

Man, lookin good,
would be awesome to clad in ALUCOBOND.
http://www.alucobond.com/alucobond-start.html?&L=%3B%7Cid%7C%3B
It is cool stuff to work with, little pricey, but what your doing so far is not cheap.
And if you read up on routing and folding it, you don't need a metal break and you could save on trim doing folded corners
http://www.alucobond.com/plus-routing-folding.html?&L=2%2Fadmin%2Fcategor

I just skinned my old truck camper with it, was left over pieces from our signage for the building.
couple hundred bucks a sheet would not be excessive on an all aluminum build. It has structural stability, cuts so friggin easy. Bends well, Should check with sign shops in your area, never know what they may have kicking around. You can also get it woodgrain for the interior or a Woody build...lol.
You would have to push the trailer off a mountainside to get rid of it, it would never ever rot away, heck you could be burried in it when the time comes. :lol:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby jonnyo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:41 am

thank you everyone for the comments!

i seenthis material at my local shop. The only downside of it is the weight. i found it heavy and i m really trying to finish this big trailer at under 1000lbs. So, i will either go with Filon or aluminum. I do have a RV builder near my house and they have both material that they can sell me on big roll for relatively cheap!

But my first intention was full brushed aluminum to give it the airtream look.

the new born baby is so much fun, but take a serious hit on progress. I wish i had a full heated garage where i could work from 10pm to late hours!!!!
jonnyo
Teardrop Master

Postby Ben » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:04 pm

I would not build the door just buy prefab sooo much nicer!! And door building is a pita!!!!! And cost is less for prefab! Buy the time you buy seals, trim and window and material for door it's not worth the hassle!
Ben
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Ben wrote:...it's not worth the hassle!

Unless you are going for a traditional appearance, and/or are trying to challenge your own personal skills, then it's the bomb! :D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Ben » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Even the tear drop builders I've talked to won't even build the door useless you pay big time!
Ben
Teardrop Master

Postby jonnyo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:24 pm

well, in the small city of summerland, bc, 10min away from me, there is a RV door builder. they also make windows and powder coating....

300$ for a custom made door....i pick color, shape, size, straight or round corner,

so yeah, i will just purchase the door!

i had a couple hours today so framed 2 window....working at -5 Celsius.... i so wish for a warm inside garage!!!!

jonnyo
Teardrop Master

Postby Ben » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:57 pm

How r u going to put the floor down with the bench seats there? Did u weld them in or are they removable and bolt down
Ben
Teardrop Master

Postby jonnyo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:23 pm

i welded the bench there. i was told the more i weld together, the stronger the structure and frame will be. as i m building light... i m trying to use as many of the components welded together. what you see is about 200lbs total right now.

i will either use plywood that i will cut and fit or tongue and groove aluminum if i can fit any. i realise it will be a little more work to make things fit and cutting holes for the legs but the gain in strenght is what i was aiming at.

if i can find tongue and groove...it will also be welded to the main frame. that would help also.

the rear bonk beds, kitchen galley and storage compartement will all be removable as the trailer will be usuable as a cargo trailer. it will have a full size rear lifting door 6 feet wide, 5 feet high
jonnyo
Teardrop Master

Postby RandyG » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:32 pm

If you lay plywood, how will you attach it to the floor? Weld tabs and screw it down would be one way. Aluminum sheet for the floor will also work, maybe .050-.063". Very nice work by the way!
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby jonnyo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:41 pm

finally some spare time during the holiday to do some work. I have order a flexiride axle. 325$ shipped from CERKA in canada. Amazing service and they were great to discuss the best way to attach it and costumize your order. From the time of ordering to receiving it ( 3 days to build it, 4 days shippign from east cost to west cost!!!.

it was a lot of fun to finaly have the trailer on wheels....now it look more real than ever! with the 70lbs axle and wheels....i m thinking that i most be in the 350lbs range at the moment. on track to kept the trailer light (under 1000lbs)

now, what needs to be done is finish all the welds...there is a few more reinforcement peice that will be put in but it s very rigid already.

right now, with the flexirde axle sitting at around 0 degres start angle... i have 14 cm ground clearance with 13'' tire...i m gonna try to lower all this a little more. At this tiem, the trailer stand 78 inches tall from the ground.

i have started the rear cargo door yet.... i need to figure out how i will do so!

flexiride axle, 77inch wide, 1700lbs rated

to beef up the frame, i have welded (only tack welded right now) a 2X2X 3/16 piece that is 40 inch long. The axle is top mounted ( bolted) right into this peice. So the frame as no holes...and the axle as a nice 40 inch of very strong member to support the frame. Most likely overbuild but i wont have to worrie.

i m using 1/2 inch grade 5 bolts to attach the axle.

this week, hopefully more welding and finishing the reinforcement. Then, it s gonna be time to make a deck...and start skinning the trailer. I got 45 feet of 8 feet wide aluminum 0.040 from a tractor trailer place. So it will be a no seam skin!
jonnyo
Teardrop Master

Postby Martiangod » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Cerka is awesome to deal with, real trailer guys.
They are in Milton Ontario , all Canadian company.
Got my axels from them, but I picked up, Little too far to drive now.
Trailer is looking awesome, going to be nice, weight should be good but you will be pulling a wall down the road
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby jonnyo » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:47 pm

my structure is 99% done. a little grinding and maybe very small modification but overall, it s ready for the flooring. I will use 3/4 plywood. Then, i have 45 feet of nice 8.5 feet wide 0,040 aluminum ready to be cut so there wont be any seams on the trailer!

i have test fit the trailer to see what it will look behind one of my tow vehicle.

Now my question for anyone that as knowledge about tongue lenght....i want to shorten the tongue to the bare minimum. i consider it too long right now. by the time i put a coupler...and the ball behind the bar... it s gonna be too long. also, a shorter tongue reduce flex in a aluminum trailer. That is a good thing as reducing stress on a aluminum trailer is a wise thing. So, how do i determine how short the tongue can be? i m not concern about backing up...the trailer is so light, i will simply unhook it and move it by hand.

structure for flooring is ready!!!

and a last one! tomorrow, the deck/floor is going in!

jonnyo
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals