Father-Daughter Build 2013-14

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Father-Daughter Build 2013-14

Postby Tommy2tone_1999 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:30 am

Great looking camper Laura. I love the way you made your canopy. Very simple, and yet very effective. I'm coming to the completion of my build and like you I can't wait to camp in it.
Make time for fitness and it'll make time for you.
http://TommyDoran.com
http://tommydoran.com/favor
Interview: http://goo.gl/Non1oR
Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58395
Come find me on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/tommy.doran
Tommy2tone_1999
Teardrop Master

Postby lfrazer98 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:25 am

Tommy2tone_1999 wrote:Great looking camper Laura. I love the way you made your canopy. Very simple, and yet very effective. I'm coming to the completion of my build and like you I can't wait to camp in it.

Thanks! I think the awning looks just right with the size of the camper. I thought it would be too big, but now, not so much. Fits perfectly! Congrats on almost finishing your build. I will have to check out your build. Happy camping!!
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby oakinteriors1 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:19 am

Laura, just went through the back posts on your trailer....Sure is perty......I sure am itchin for the weather to break, to go camping-kayaking....These trailers are a joy to sleep in, it refines the camping experience... :thumbsup:
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby titanpat57 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:40 pm

Very nice job! :thumbsup:

Spring is right around the corner!

(lol...as another Winter Storm Warning comes in from a weather app)
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby lfrazer98 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:02 pm

oaksinterior1- Thanks! I was always fine with tent camping, so I am sure this will only make it better!

titanpat57- I know! On the calendar we are not far from Spring, but we are supposed to get some more snow and ice tonight. :( At least I have these forums to visit while waiting out the Winter!!
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby Graniterich » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:30 pm

I read your build journal, nice job! Looked like you had fun! In regards to your walls, I just finished my Woody, sanded and brushed, sanded and brushed, sanded down and started over. The door that I could lay flat is smooth as you could want. The sides are pretty nice, but never could get that glass finish. Fast forward, got laid off, decided to build another while looking for work. Got a harbor freight 24 dollar sprayer hvlp. Started today spraying polyurethane, this is the way to go. Fast light coats, and very even doing a vertical surface. Using a very small compressor. I will redo my first one some day
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby lfrazer98 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:58 pm

Graniterich wrote:I read your build journal, nice job! Looked like you had fun! In regards to your walls, I just finished my Woody, sanded and brushed, sanded and brushed, sanded down and started over. The door that I could lay flat is smooth as you could want. The sides are pretty nice, but never could get that glass finish. Fast forward, got laid off, decided to build another while looking for work. Got a harbor freight 24 dollar sprayer hvlp. Started today spraying polyurethane, this is the way to go. Fast light coats, and very even doing a vertical surface. Using a very small compressor. I will redo my first one some day

We were in a major hurry to finish by a deadline so we put the spar urethane on pretty thick and I think my dad tried to do a coat while I was at work... Since I had done ALL the poly during the build, I had gotten pretty good at not leaving brush marks... Well, I had quite a few and I don't care for my current finish. I know we also put some prints on it with PL, etc while putting the rest of the drop together, so it needs to be touched up anyway. I think I will probably tape it off, sand it and spray on a coat or two (or three) in August. I will have to read up on compressor size/settings for spraying the urethane and will also test it on scrap pieces. Thanks for taking the time to read my posts and to tell me about your experience! I definitely couldn't get it smooth..... the spar urethane was so thick!
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby lfrazer98 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:32 pm

I set up my shower tent just to make sure I could do it on my own. It wasn't easy... However, it is sturdy and I think I could actually hang a shower bladder in it. I will probably just use it for a changing room/ night time toilet. I am making my own out of a bucket and a store bought seat with lid. I tried the little plastic emergency (luggable loo) seats, but I couldn't get it to snap on...

I had originally wanted some type of side tent, but didn't want to spend money on an expensive one. I may just take my tarps and temporarily hang them around my awning for night time potty breaks and/or for changing..... Not sure.... I don't want my trailer to look ugly now that I got it looking so pretty. Some of the side tents you guys have in your pictures are just so perfect! Maybe next year I will splurge on one.
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:52 pm

You can find the EZ up cabana on eBay for about $70 delivered. It looks like the nicest side tent/ changing room option to me. Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby jonw » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:53 am

After several EZUps I now have a Coleman 13x13 Backyard Shelter I'm very happy with and can recommend:

On Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-13x13-Back-Instant-Shelter/dp/B0033990N8/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1423749108&sr=1-2&keywords=coleman+backyard+shelter
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:42 am

The one I mentioned is 4x4 and has side curtains
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:14 pm

Laaaaauuuuureeen.....must be getting close to Spring Break!! Got the fever yet??
TDN
:R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby lfrazer98 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:05 pm

Yes I do!!! I keep on buying more and more accessories for my trailer in anticipation! I have my first trip planned for May 15th. If I get a good weekend of weather I may be tempted to just camp out in the driveway! I have next week off from school but am staying home... weather here still isn't what I want it to be. Need to get in the 60s and stay that way for a while! When is your first trip of the season?
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby kayakdlk » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Trailer looks great. I highly recommend a first trip in the driveway to make sure you have everything and can test it out. We tested our in the driveway and decided after one night to add a foam topper on the mattress for some more comfort. Better to find things like that out before a several night trip

Have fun camping with it this summer
Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:49 am

Lauren, My husband and I will be headed to that Dam Gathering to celebrate our 2nd Anniversary (our wedding was held there on the 20th Annual) for our 1st official TD break-out for spring. The TD is scheduled to go to the shop this Friday to have it checked over and the wheel bearings repacked. Then I will be ready to roll......enjoy your break and time off. :)

As a side note, Lauren. I know many others, myself included, who bought this and that and more when we first started using our teardrops. After every trip I would evaluate what I had packed, and didn't use that was in my inventory. I ended up removing items each time I returned as I really had put a lot of gadgets, gizmos, "pretties" in it that I liked, but did not really need. I also found that when I went to a place with cooking boxes/fire pits/etc. that had running water, I could pack a lot less for clean-up. And, fellow teardroppers I camp with are very kind to lend or supply you with an item you might have forgotten, but found you did need....like a cheese grater, a loop of cord, a couple of tsp. of cinnamon, or even extra gloves and a hat. When you camp with a TD you will find you are outside more often than an RV owner might be. You are sure to draw a curious crowd of onlookers when you make your maiden voyage.

Also, camping in the driveway is always a big adventure. I just spent the night in my TD last night and had the best snooze....and it was still parked inside the shop/garage! :FNP

ttfn,
Joanie
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals