Father-Daughter Build 2013-14

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Father-Daughter Build 2013-14

Postby lfrazer98 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:40 pm

Hello! My Dad and I picked up our 5 x 10 trailer today (11/26/13) after a snow storm started, but we got it back to his house, wiped off, and stored away for the night. He jokingly asked if I wanted towels to wipe it dry. I thought about it :roll: but I will save that for after it is built. Smiles all around since we finally found the trailer size we wanted at a fair price. I am hoping to take some metal off tomorrow, but it might have to wait until after the holidays. So for now, here is a hello from my Dad (Jim), my partner in crime during this very exciting project.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Attachments
Trailer is home-1 .jpg
Hi from Jim
Trailer is home-1 .jpg (186.68 KiB) Viewed 10644 times
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Re: Father-Daughter Build 2013-14

Postby wyldesyde007 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi Jim!

Hurry up and post some pics of what you guys intend to do with your find! ;)
wyldesyde007
Teardrop Master

Postby RandyG » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi, nice trailer. Looks like Jim has a nice shop and knows a thing about craftsmanship. What type of build are you going for?
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby oakinteriors1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:16 pm

Looks exactly like my 5x8 I started with only I had the steel mesh floor .... Looks like a decent sized shop to work in their Jim.. :thumbsup:
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:59 pm

nice trailer can't wait to follow this build :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lfrazer98 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:47 pm

I am partial to the silver shadow profile, as well as, the Grumman 2 and Kenskill from the design library. I am leaning towards an aluminum roof with woody sides. My guess is that you have to be creative hiding your screws/nails for the galley and interior shelving if you want a woody exterior. We are still figuring this part out. We don't want to overbuild, but don't want our shelves to fall down. We are going to plan our build next with actual measurements now that we have the trailer in the garage. I will get out the sketch pad (I'm sure he will, too) and we will put our modest technical drawing skills to work (for me those skills were only honed in middle school). Gotta get that graph paper from school! (I'm a science teacher if I didn't mention it earlier).

So, that is our basic plan. I want the basics, want it to look clean and neat, but that is about it.... 12v (I think) to power the lights, etc. with a deep cycle battery. Maybe an outlet or 2 for charging devices or a coffee maker. A 120V (?) plug just in case I camp in a place where they provide electricity, which also means I need a converter, I think. I am not planning on having a sink, running water, a fridge, or AC, but will have a small propane stove. I just want a cool camp set up so I can cook, have a comfy bed, have coffee, grab a cold one from a cooler of ice, and sit by the fire and enjoy time with friends. And Dad wants to be able to take it on a trip hunting/fishing, so he is pretty rustic, too.

That is the plan so far, folks! Any tips on a woody exterior (sides only) and being creative with fastening everything together?
I attached a photo I found on here somewhere because I like the profile.
No school for me tomorrow, so cheers everyone!
:beer: :wine:
Attachments
Tear Drop Model .jpg
Profile I like
Tear Drop Model .jpg (2.9 KiB) Viewed 10612 times
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby oakinteriors1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Type of plywood depends on the availability.. But Baltic Birch is the best quality plywood by far and 5x5 sheets work great for a 10 footer...
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:53 pm

+1 on the shop
+1 on Jim being handy
+1 Welcome Jim!
+1 on trailer looks perfect for your plans, even the axle location looks good!

Let me add, looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree re: camping preferences.

If your 120v requirements are few and far between, consider not bothering with a converter. You can use a simple smart battery tender and a GFIC power strip for a simple 120v system saving installation complication and space.

Science teacher... cool.
Drafting on graph paper... also cool, we all started there and it works!

Keep plugging away on the planning. The build will work itself out if the plan is sound. The trick is to work out the "interactions" ahead of time, like the galley and cabinet to wall connections that you mention. Unless you are building with substantially thick solid walls (not for me due to lack of insulation value and weight) you need to figure out where everywhere needs to attach, right down to the coat hooks and light switches. If you are going to cut away the top rail and remount the fenders on the walls, you need to allow for adequate bolting for these, too.

Just my opinion, but the more details that you can account for in the beginning, the smoother and easier your build will go in the end.

You look to be off to a great start and + another 1, I look forward to following along. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:16 pm

A father-daughter team? How can you lose!!! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jffrazer » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:34 am

We are excited to get going with our project. Particularly excited about the support and encouragement from all of you on this site. I am sure we will have ample questions as time wears on and we thank you in advance for any advice you can tender.
We had to take a break from starting due to Thanksgiving and travel. As mentioned in an earlier post we have a carry-on trailer frame at 5 x 10 ft. Axle situated at approximately 63 percent of frame length - we'll within the 60/40 percent guideline I have seen. Frame height is 15 1/2 inches (13 in tires/ wheel).

Next will be stripping and cleaning up the frame including removing excess steel rail and ramp.

More to come

Jim
jffrazer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:17 am

8) Welcome to Lauren & Jim !
Great plans are in the making here.....sounds like you know what you want, and got what you need for the start.

I have a woody and just love it! If you are thinking of putting in an outlet or 2, I would really recommend it. Never hurts to have that option......as my husband found out when he wanted to grind his coffee beans one morning and remembered we don't have a plug in. :lol:

:lol: And he needs his coffee in the morning. I just sent him off to the bathrooms where there was an outlet but not every place we camp has that option. So, if my husband ever appears at YOUR camp with an empty cup, could ya be a good sport and fill it up for him?? :R
Keep us posted.
Click on the icon(s) below to see more about where we camp.
Joanie
The Teardrop Nanny
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby KennethW » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:51 am

If you go woody. I found wood conditioner really brings the wood grain to life and makes the stain a lot easier to apply. Be warned a woody will be noticed at all times. So cool!
It may be the bar in the back! Have fun with your build Then use at the time. it's fun!
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Esteban » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:26 am

Lauren and Jim,

:thumbsup: Great to see your father-daughter team. Using a 5 by 10 trailer you have room for many options. Maybe a nice galley with plentiful storage.
You're off to a good start. Your teamwork and a nice work shop will make construction easier and more enjoyable. :)
That is the plan so far, folks! Any tips on a woody exterior (sides only) and being creative with fastening everything together?
I attached a photo I found on here somewhere because I like the profile.

No school for me tomorrow, so cheers everyone!
:thumbsup: Steve Fredericks www.campingclassics.com has an inspiring gallery of woodie trailers he has built. His shop manual and his "inside out" construction method are both time (and back discomfort) savers. It is well worth buying one.

The profile you like looks nice. :thinking: Maybe it could use some additional framing where cabinets and or shelves will need support? The cut outs suggest you are considering insulating your walls by using an internal framework that will have plywood skins outside and inside. 1/4" outside and 1/8" inside are good. Epoxy and/or fiberglass can protect the wood. Then protect the epoxy from sun damage with varnish. Raka.com is a good epoxy supplier.

:thumbsup: If you do decide to put in an electrical converter the Progressive Dynamics PD4045 is a good one to consider. bestconverter.com/4000-Series-Compact-Power-Center

:thumbsup: I wish I'd thought ahead to add an electrical junction box under my trailer to make it easy to wire my trailers running lights and to trouble shoot and/or make upgrades in the future. delcity.net/Stud-Type-Junction-Box

:thinking: Is your trailer licensed now? (It probably is.) If not it can be easier, and less expensive, to license it with just a floor rather than waiting to license it when the camper is completed.

:thinking: Another question, will you want a tongue box? If so now is a good time to add/weld support(s) for one to the straight tongue. Maybe steel from the loading ramp could be reused for the supports?
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby lfrazer98 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:43 pm

I hope everyone had a great holiday. I spent it with my family, but had numerous hours to sketch out a scaled drawing and read some posts. Below is my first draft. I printed out the profiles of the Grumman 2, Superleggera, and Kenskill and this is what I came up with. I have some measurements in the drawing, but having touched the galley yet. I shaded the perimeter for ~2" wall/insulation and added in a queen size mattress, door(s), headboard storage, fan and overhead window. Here is the sketch and I will reply to the other messages after. Thoughts?! :D
Attachments
Design 11-29-13.jpg
1st Draft- Profile
Design 11-29-13.jpg (104.67 KiB) Viewed 10122 times
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby lfrazer98 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:54 pm

Esteban wrote:Steve Fredericks www.campingclassics.com has an inspiring gallery of woodie trailers he has built. His shop manual and his "inside out" construction method are both time (and back discomfort) savers. It is well worth buying one.

The profile you like looks nice. :thinking: Maybe it could use some additional framing where cabinets and or shelves will need support? The cut outs suggest you are considering insulating your walls by using an internal framework that will have plywood skins outside and inside. 1/4" outside and 1/8" inside are good. Epoxy and/or fiberglass can protect the wood. Then protect the epoxy from sun damage with varnish. Raka.com is a good epoxy supplier.

:thumbsup: If you do decide to put in an electrical converter the Progressive Dynamics PD4045 is a good one to consider. bestconverter.com/4000-Series-Compact-Power-Center

:thumbsup: I wish I'd thought ahead to add an electrical junction box under my trailer to make it easy to wire my trailers running lights and to trouble shoot and/or make upgrades in the future. delcity.net/Stud-Type-Junction-Box

:thinking: Is your trailer licensed now? (It probably is.) If not it can be easier, and less expensive, to license it with just a floor rather than waiting to license it when the camper is completed.

:thinking: Another question, will you want a tongue box? If so now is a good time to add/weld support(s) for one to the straight tongue. Maybe steel from the loading ramp could be reused for the supports?

Hello! Funny, my Dad just mentioned building the woodie sides from the "inside out" so that any attachment points could be hidden by the exterior skin. I wonder if what he was describing is the same as in the link. I will definitely read it and pass it on to him. Last night we also both agreed we would probably use 1/8th" skin inside and 1/4th" outside as you mentioned. I also mentioned the epoxy to him today in the car on the drive back home. Looks like we are on the same page as you! The trailer is licensed, but I will need to transfer it officially at the DMV still. We did talk about the tongue box (because we do want one) and thought we could use the ramp and modify it for the box. Is it necessary to put supports under it? We saw a picture of a rectangular one that was bolted to the frame and had two "U" bolts to attach it to the tongue. If I need to, I will ask someone to weld on some steel to make the tongue an "A", because I think we need someone to weld on stabilizer jacks and an accessory or two anyway.

Off to read more posts!
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals