Father-Daughter Build 2013-14

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Father-Daughter Build 2013-14

Postby Esteban » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:02 am

Lauren, good to see you are beginning to camp in your teardrop. Expanding on what others have said replacing the shackle straps with longer ones might be a quick, easy, and inexpensive way to reduce or eliminate the tires hitting the fenders. etrailer.com has shackle straps (links) from 2" TO 3.5" long. If that is not enough you might replace the hangers with tallers ones, too...which would require welding new taller ones onto your trailer frame.

Doing one, or both, of these modifications possibly could eliminate a need to raise the fenders. It might eliminate the need for a bump stop too. They seem like "low hanging fruit" solutions to consider (first) that would not disfigure the wooden sides of your beautiful teardrop trailer.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby lfrazer98 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:57 pm

Well I was at the RV place today, had my head under the trailer last night and today, and the axle is quite close to the frame. I think bump stops (1" thick) would limit the movement to only about 3/4" to 1" and that made me think I would hit the bump stop with every bounce. We all agreed to take the axle and put it under the leaf springs (closer to the ground). I will know tomorrow how it looks, and if I need to, I can always buy those beautiful custom fenders that I originally wanted. :twisted: :applause: As of right now, the fenders look very close to the tires so I don't think it will look as bad as I think it will in my head once the axle is lowered/frame raised. Thanks for all your help!!!
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:32 pm

Lauren, please take a before & after close-up picture, so we can see what the change looks like. Fingers crossed that it isn't up too high next, but it shouldn't be hitting any more.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:35 am

If it comes out a little too tall you can probably go the other way with the spring shackles to lower it a tad.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby lfrazer98 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:13 pm

133391 133392

The before picture....
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby lfrazer98 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:06 pm

The after picture... It didn't look as bad as I thought it would. Close up you can see that there is a big gap, but from a distance, it seems to fit the trailer. It is 10 1/2 feet long.... Maybe I should get 14" tires? I was actually thinking that maybe next year I should get some nice fiberglass fenders (the kind I originally wanted).
http://www.teardrops.net/teardroptrailerparts.html I like these fenders... "11" Modernistic/Cub/Ken-Skill-style fiberglass fenders, faithful reproductions of the originals, but 2" wider! "
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby Sheddie » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:20 pm

Hi Lauren, that looks much better! You now have a more even gap all around, between the fender and the tyre. Before it looked like some one had sat on it, as the gap at the top was so much less than at the ends. Those glass fenders you are looking at would look really cool on it.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby noseoil » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:50 pm

Lauren, it looks much better to me now with the new setup. Before you up-size the tires, measure the diameter of a 14" size you would use, subtract it from the 13" ones now in place, & make sure the difference leaves you more space between the axle & frame than between the fender & new tire size. Don't want a replay of the last scenario!

I agree about the new fenders, just make sure there's enough meat inside the walls to fasten properly with the size they have for you & your wall panels. Can you get a cardboard template of the new fender, just to see how it would fit against the side & how far down it would need to go? With your build size, a taller tire & larger fender might look even better.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfrazer98 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:18 am

Thanks for the feedback! I also feel so much better on the road and I don't have to worry at all about bottoming out or hitting the fenders. That peace of mind is worth it. Great idea about asking for a template for the fenders. I am sure Grant would draw something out if he doesn't already have one for the fenders. Any future modification will have lots of planning involved.

I just got back from Niagara Falls and it rained the whole way home. I found a couple leaks by the doors... one on the floor and one along the side of the mattress. The one on the floor is baffling... Maybe water came in through the door seal and dripped down to the floor or maybe I need to get underneath and check the seals. The other side got wet from the bottom part of the door seal, but it wasn't much at all. I got it all dried up and vented out last night and will put her in the sun today if it will stay out for more than 5 minutes. I am sick of this rain and want some hot sun! 4 trips so far and rain on all 4 of them.

I hope everyone has a wonderful 4th of July weekend! Happy camping!
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby jonw » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:43 am

Lauren - it won't be raining for the CRA! See you there...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:57 am

Hi Lauren, glad to here that the axle move has solved the problem. :thumbsup: It is good when fixing something like that can make the whole experience more relaxing and enjoyable. :)
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfrazer98 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:45 pm

jonw wrote:Lauren - it won't be raining for the CRA! See you there...

I like the positive thinking Jon! If it does you will see a sad girl sitting beneath her awning huddled next to the camper at the campsite right behind you! I look forward to a dry and fun week!

Frank- yes, I felt so much better after it was flipped. Everything is a bit taller now, but I'll adjust.

Went back under the camper and put tar along the perimeter again so I think I am good to go for wet weather. I think I will replace the door seals at the beginning of every season just to make sure the doors are tight against water intrusion. :)
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby vincigj » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:18 pm

Bet the fiberglass fenders would look really "bad" with the bigger tires. That will be my first upgrade. Yours looks good after moving the axle.
vincigj
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Esteban » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:50 pm

Lauren, if you consider using aluminum fenders recstuff.com/Trailer-Fenders has a very good selection of them.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:51 pm

Hi Lauren,
Aren't the Falls FANTASTIC!!?
Here is my solution to traveling within wet weather areas. Before we go I take a large size plastic garbage bag and spread it out under the mattress along side both doors. Part of the bag is under the mattress pad and the other part is over the top of the mattress. It runs the entire length of the door, and slightly beyond, so when we pull up to camp we just remove it and tuck it under the mattress if it is dry. If wet....shake it off away from the bedding, outside of the tear obviously. Since doing that, I do NOT find MY side of the mattress damp/wet. The water may be coming in when traveling at highway speeds in a downpour (splash back effect). I know when I visited NFalls I got caught in the worst rain I ever had to drive in....just incredible the amount that came down, and I'm from Northern California~~have not experienced a deluge as heavy as that since then.
Enjoy your summer excursions,
ttfn,
Joanie :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals