Father-Daughter Build 2013-14

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Father-Daughter Build 2013-14

Postby lfrazer98 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks, Dan and Joanie!

I know I will be over prepared for my first trip out. Most of it I probably won't need. Actually I am stocking up, but won't bring everything that I am buying... Got a portable shower tent, shower, and toilet, but won't bring that to many places because I reserved sites next to the bathrooms. I am stocking up some storage containers and labeling them with a camping list. I will pick and choose from the items for each trip I make. But you are right, Joanie, I will be overstocked the first trip out. I will make an effort to write down what I used and didn't use. I know there are things that I can't even fathom needing at this point, but will wonder why I never thought of them once on my trips! But you are both right; I should test out the camper and pack more "outside" things. My first 2 trips out are with my second mom and her fifth wheel. I got a site a few away from her, but know I am in good hands if I need anything. :) She is a seasoned RV camper and the perfect person to go with for my first trip out (and second).

Happy Anniversary!! I have heard about the Dam gathering but haven't looked into it. I assume it is out West as most of the big gatherings are. Are you going to the CRA gathering? I am registered and looking forward to it! I also plan on attending the IRG next summer. Good times are to be had! Now we just need the weather to cooperate. :)
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby lfrazer98 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:44 pm

Well I had my first trip out and it rained the whole weekend. So happy that I bought a 10 x 10 canopy to cover my "baby". It was tough, and a little scary, to see her get wet for the first time. No leaks and I managed to stay mostly dry.

I did have one issue that I nice upon arriving home.... Looks like the tire hit the fender on a big pothole and ripped out (partially) 2 of my fender screws. We took off my fender and raised then about 1" because any higher and I wouldn't have the skeleton 3/4" ply to screw into. I obviously did not leave enough interior ply to raise my fenders high enough on bumpy roads. I only have about 2" of clearance at the moment and am looking into moving the axle below the leaf springs, but will have a large gap above the tires as a result or I can install bump stops/axle snubbers to stop upward movement. So, I am looking for advice and wondering if anyone suggests one fix over another. I already contact the RV guy who installed my leaf springs and he said he could move the axle for me if needed. Spend 200 bucks to lower the axle or can anyone recommend good snubbers? I have searched but haven't really found what I need.

Thanks! I know you all give great advice. :)
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby lfrazer98 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:45 pm

Well I had my first trip out and it rained the whole weekend. So happy that I bought a 10 x 10 canopy to cover my "baby". It was tough, and a little scary, to see her get wet for the first time. No leaks and I managed to stay mostly dry.

I did have one issue that I noticed upon arriving home.... Looks like the tire hit the fender on a big pothole and ripped out (partially) 2 of my fender screws. We took off my fender and raised then about 1" because any higher and I wouldn't have the 3/4" ply skeleton to screw into. I obviously did not leave enough interior ply to raise my fenders high enough for bumpy roads. I only have about 2" of clearance at the moment and am looking into moving the axle below the leaf springs, but will have a large gap above the tires as a result or I can install bump stops/axle snubbers to stop upward movement. So, I am looking for advice and wondering if anyone suggests one fix over another. I already contact the RV guy who installed my leaf springs and he said he could move the axle for me if needed. Spend 200 bucks to lower the axle or can anyone recommend good snubbers? I have searched but haven't really found what I need.

Thanks! I know you all give great advice. :)
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby Sheddie » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:58 am

Hi Lauren, great to see you have had your first trip away, shame about the weather.
I went back through your build thread to find a photo of your suspension. I probably wouldn't recommend using the bump stops to restrict the movement, as what I can see from the photo, you would be left with not much movement at all. You could end up with it thumping on the stops most of the time. Apart from a hard ride it could, in time, cause fractures to the axle or the frame where the stops are mounted. Placing the axle under the springs would be the better option as long as you don't mind having the TD sitting higher from the ground. You will be lifting it by the diameter of the axle plus the thickness of the springs. Another option to lift it, by a greater or smaller amount, would be to fit longer spring shackle plates.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby titanpat57 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:27 am

A spring over would certainly help with the clearance issue....but raising the center of gravity can also cause handling changes. Do you have shocks on the current setup? If you do the SOA (spring over axle) install, you could add shocks that would help to dampen things a bit, and improve ride performance.

Sorry to hear about the rain, but glad you got out!
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:21 am

Assuming that you don't want to raise your floor and galley counter height too much, I'm with Sheddie on this one. A 1 inch longer shackle will add about 1/2 inch more lift.

Beyond that, you could change how the fenders are mounted. Instead of bolting/screwing them to the side wall, you could have fender brackets welded on to the under side of the frame that extend out to the lower leading and trailing edges of the fenders.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:00 pm

KCStudly wrote:Assuming that you don't want to raise your floor and galley counter height too much, I'm with Sheddie on this one. A 1 inch longer shackle will add about 1/2 inch more lift.

Beyond that, you could change how the fenders are mounted. Instead of bolting/screwing them to the side wall, you could have fender brackets welded on to the under side of the frame that extend out to the lower leading and trailing edges of the fenders.

Raising the fender an inch and a longer shackle would probably be enough. Personally I would be ok with putting a bump stop above the spring between the axle and the frame. But it should be compressible like this. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Su ... YKU09006BK. and it should give you maximum travel ( have it touch the spring about 1/2 an inch before it bottoms out.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:20 pm

KCStudly wrote:Assuming that you don't want to raise your floor and galley counter height too much, I'm with Sheddie on this one. A 1 inch longer shackle will add about 1/2 inch more lift.

Yes KC that was also a solution I was thinking of. That is the way my guards (fenders) are mounted. I think I used 35mm x 6mm flat bar welded on its edge to the bottom of the box section trailer frame. I made sure to spread the bots well apart to give the best support when mounting the guards to the brackets. The guards sit about 3 to 4 mm away from the walls and are rigid enough not to touch the walls while traveling. They are also strong enough to hold my 90kg standing on them.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfrazer98 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:28 pm

Thanks for all the advice!! My father gets home from Florida tomorrow so we will have more options to discuss then. I will report back tomorrow. For now, here are a couple pictures of my recent trip this weekend. :) Cowanesque Lake, PA. Great sites and a beautiful lake!

132692 132693 132694

I moved my changing room to the driver's side of the camper after the pictures were taken. I even backed the trailer in myself too! :applause:
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby wiseguydirk » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:50 pm

Looks great!
wiseguydirk
Teardrop Builder

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:11 pm

:applause: :applause: Isn't this FUN! With summer coming soon, and school busting out, you should have a GREAT time. Best to you, Lauren, and to The Dad! :D
Joanie
TDN :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Tommy2tone_1999 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:43 pm

So glad to see you finally get to enjoy it!
Make time for fitness and it'll make time for you.
http://TommyDoran.com
http://tommydoran.com/favor
Interview: http://goo.gl/Non1oR
Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58395
Come find me on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/tommy.doran
Tommy2tone_1999
Teardrop Master

Postby vincigj » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:09 pm

Glad the first trip was good except weather. How long was the drive and was it the first time towing that distance, time? Did you find it tiring?
vincigj
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lfrazer98 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:38 pm

Well, I went on my first trip close to home. Cowanesque Lake is about 25 miles away. We have lots of close campgrounds around here in central/upstate NY. My next trip is to Fish Creek near Saran, NY in the Adirondacks and that will be about 4-5 hours away. Leaving first thing Friday morning. :)

I still haven't fixed the fender issue yet. I am still considering my options.... Not sure which route I want to take yet. I am still leaning towards bump stops to stop the axle from hitting the fender. I don't want to stop al movement, but just prevent the tire from hitting the fender on big bumps. They are few and far between, but may be an issue. I know someone mentioned above about a strut, but I don't have any other suspension besides the leaf springs. I can see how it might damper a bounce if I do hit a bump though.

Anyway, I hope everyone has been out camping and enjoying themselves! I will definitely post some pictures from Fish Creek next week. It should be beautiful and I am right on the water! Can't wait!
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby TheresaD » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:31 pm

Lauren I decided to pop in and check out your build. Nicely done!! How awesome that you and your Dad were able to work on it together. That is precious time that you should always treasure. Have fun at the TearUp! I went to it a few years in a row but haven't been able to make it these past couple of years. Fish Creek is a wonderful campground and the sites are huge. You're going to love it. You'll be able to put your teardrop nice and close to the shore so you can open your door and look out in the morning. Say hi to everyone for me when you get there.

I don't know how the roads are up near Saranac now, but some of the roads leading up to Fish Creek were a little rough the last time I went up. Just take your time on them and hopefully the bumps won't be too bad on your fenders.

Have a safe trip and we'll tighten up our CRA plans after you get back.
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals