Father-Daughter Build 2013-14

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Father-Daughter Build 2013-14

Postby lfrazer98 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:18 pm

Revised profile sketch. Don't mind the question marks and scribbles :D Still deciding
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:19 pm

lfrazer98 wrote:I will plan on uploading my pictures to my gallery first. Howe do you attach the photo from the gallery into a reply? Do I need to open it (my gallery) in another window, copy the URL and then paste it in my message?

Put the photos in your gallery first, before you start a posting. Then, at the point of your post where you want to insert the photo, click "gallery" on the posting page toolbar, and it'll open your gallery in another window. Find the photo(s) you want to put in, and select the box "insert image into post", and its done. It'll show up as [album]xxxxx[album] in the text line, but use the preview to see it before you submit the post. If you want to put it somewhere else, just copy and paste.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Esteban » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Lauren,

Looking good. You have plenty of blank space inside the cabin for cabinets and or shelves above the foot of the mattress. Maybe that's another stage in your designs evolution. If it helps you could off set the upper and lower parts of the bulkhead.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby kayakdlk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:10 pm

lfrazer98 wrote:Dan- is the epoxy and cloth like fiberglass and cloth? Same thing, different name? I will have to look that up. :)

The cloth is fiberglass cloth and the resin is not the polyester type like you traditionally see in auto stores, but rather epoxy for boat building. I researched and decided on Raka brand checkout by build for more details and how I did it. You can get by with 3 oz cloth, I used 7 oz because it was on sale and cheaper and I wanted a little more strength/protection for potential off road use but the heavier cloth used a lot more resin to bury the cloth pattern. Check this thread out for more details on epoxy http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=388817

For a woody the fiberglass cloth help strengthen the wood and will helps prevent the plywood from checking. It can also be used to make a larger than 4x8 plywood panel. I joined three pieces 1/8" baltic Birch to make my side which are 4' x 11'. The epoxy resin provides water proofing/protection to the wood. Then you will need to cover the epoxy with a UV polyurethane (or in my case I used UV bed liner paint) to protect the epoxy from yellowing and breaking down since epoxy is usually not UV rated. Do some research on this web site and read the epoxy manuals http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18512&start=15 and you should get a feel for the process. There are also good boat building videos on Utube and boat building we site that show how to apply epoxy and cloth. Before I built my teardrop I had never used epoxy.

I didn't think it was that hard to get the feel for it, especially when done on a flat bench. The front end roof where it curved under was the hardest, as the epoxy just wanted to drip off and was messy.

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby lfrazer98 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:41 pm

Thanks, Dan! I will take a look at your build. I have read another one start to finish and she fiberglassed the whole exterior, so I am at least familiar with the process, but I haven't used epoxy before either.

Tonight my objective was to design a galley. Looked at a bunch online for a while now and this is what I came up with. Rough dimensions are included as I knew I would have a couple big items that I wanted to have designated "spots" in the galley. Take a look and let me know what you think! I am still flexible with the dimensions as I may go for a little higher clearance with the hatch. I won't know until we make the profile template. Planning on stained wood cabinetry with a kitchen counter top (not sure what they are made out of) with an aluminum back in the center, and maybe aluminum along the open top shelf (back).
:beer:
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby Esteban » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:18 am

Lauren, nice galley design. Many people put the paper towel holder and a light (or two) on the underside of the galley hatch. That might free up a little more shelf space.

In the Skinning Secrets area you can find information on epoxy and fiberglassing with good videos.

Joanne built her Desert Dawg teardrop with fiberglassed plywood. She painted it after fiberglassing. Her website is well detailed. She openly shares her triumphs and some set backs.

About the kitchen counter. A few people have use ceramic, glass or stone tile. There are tiles as small as 1" x 1" that can be attached to plywood with thickened epoxy or tile adhesive. Then grouted preferably with an epoxy grout. It can be simple or very artistic. :thinking:
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby lfrazer98 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:04 pm

Esteban wrote:Lauren, nice galley design. Many people put the paper towel holder and a light (or two) on the underside of the galley hatch. That might free up a little more shelf space.

I have seen that people put their paper towels and lights on the galley hatch. I will probably end up doing so, as well.

I really like the idea of making my own counter top. I will see how creative I am when I get to that point in the build! I want a clean look that is of quality, but is pretty and stylish, too.

Thanks for the link on the fiberglass build. I am getting together with my father tomorrow to make some progress on the trailer and so we can check out some of the suggested sites and bookmark what we need to reference later. I hope a shopping trip is also on the schedule as I want to start spending money on supplies!! :twisted:

Thanks, Steve!

Oops! One question. Any thoughts on doing the counter top in aluminum as well as the back splash? Or is it stainless steel that people put into the galley's I have seen? Thought it might look good against the wood cabinets and drawers. Thanks!
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Welcome Lauren and Dad! Did you have a chance to look at the Galley Gallery Relocated thread? That thread has a lot of galley finishes and galley designs in one location. I think stainless would be preferred over aluminum...but I would bet almost every material imaginable has been used at one point!

Have fun with your build! :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:25 pm

It looks good, Lauren. :thumbsup:

...Just a thought: One thing that I've seen some people do is to put a cabinet door between the cabin and galley in the center area back galley wall.
That way, you can reach for things in the galley and even make coffee, tea or hot chocolate in the morning without leaving your warm, cozy cabin (when not in bear country).

I'm not certain; but, I think aluminum might be too soft to be used as a counter top. It might scratch up pretty easily. Stainless steel would work. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:12 pm

I have been considering SS for the counter in TPCE, but it is relatively heavy. I work with it a lot in my day job, and it is a good material for its ability to be kept sanitary, its durability, and the fact that it is relatively nonreactive. Aluminum is not a good choice for all of the opposite reasons.

.060 thk (16 ga #4 brushed) is probably best as it will resist denting better, but I would consider going as light as (edit typo) 18 ga since it will be backed and would be lighter. A one piece 'Z' bend with back splash, counter top, and front lip is what I had in mind.

I'm enjoying your posts and look forward to your future progress, but I must reiterate: do yourself a favor and spend more time looking at other peoples build threads, and the construction techniques threads. There is so much to be learned and so many pitfalls that can be avoided by doing a lot of research.

Build on. :thumbsup:
Last edited by KCStudly on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Lauren, your galley layout is somewhat similar to my ideal design...I'll share the concept:

I bought a Camp Chef oven amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Camping-Outdoor-Burner. I want (haven't bought one yet) an ac/dc chest type fridge/freezer. I like that (melting) ice can be banished with one. TruckFridge is a lower cost brand. An ARB 37 would be nicer but may not be worth the extra cost. Camping Secrets has links to these and many more of them.

My ideal galley would have the Camp Chef on a slide out drawer on the left side under the counter top. In the middle a bank of 3 drawers. On the right side a fridge/freezer on a slide out drawer. My counter top would be (about) 18" deep. At the back of it would be a full width cabinet about 12" deep with sliding doors. Above that on the left side would be en electrical compartment with a Progresive Dynamics PD4045 power center and electrical outlets. On the right side an upper cabinet similar to what you've drawn...probably with a hinged door. In between the two uppers would be an open shelf.

I have been intrigued by solar power. So I would mount a solar panel on the roof to charge a (group 31) battery used to power the fridge/freezer, LED lights, Fantastic Fan, and dc power outlets. Would probably use a panel with 125 watts, or maybe one as large as 160 watts for robust power to boon dock off grid.

Just some food for thought.

edit: Have you and your Dad looked through the Hall of Fame? It is chock full with teardrops and ideas.
One of my early favorites was and still is Sonetpro's Fish Inn. Fish Inn with a beautifully executed galley. His teardrop is somewhat like a long Grumman II design.

The galley gallery is full of examples from simple to elaborate that meet peoples wants and needs. Your head will probably spin as it fills with examples and details to emulate. :?
Last edited by Esteban on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby lfrazer98 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:20 pm

KCStudly wrote:I have been considering SS for the counter in TPCE, but it is relatively heavy. I work with it a lot in my day job, and it is a good material for its ability to be kept sanitary, its durability, and the fact that it is relatively nonreactive. Aluminum is not a good choice for all of the opposite reasons.

.060 thk (16 ga #4 brushed) is probably best as it will resist denting better, but I would consider going as light as 14 ga since it will be backed and would be lighter. A one piece 'Z' bend with back splash, counter top, and front lip is what I had in mind.

I'm enjoying your posts and look forward to your future progress, but I must reiterate: do yourself a favor and spend more time looking at other peoples build threads, and the construction techniques threads. There is so much to be learned and so many pitfalls that can be avoided by doing a lot of research.

KC-Yes, I was thinking it was SS and not aluminum... It didn't strike me until now that it would be steel and not Al due to the properties of each. Silly me. :?
I have read lots of build threads, but have only read the one's that are applicable right now, like insulating walls, where to attach the walls, under floor storage, TD designs. I know I am probably asking questions that I could answer by reading other build journals, but I figured I would get deep into them when I am actually at that step or making final design decisions. I didn't want to get too overwhelmed by learning every step at once. I am still looking at the big picture and working my way in. :)

I like the idea of a pass through cabinet door into the galley, but didn't really see the advantage until you mentioned it. I was always quick to get out of my tent when camping because the ground was hard. But a nice cup of hot coffee without getting out sounds excellent! I will look into it, but I am still working on my interior cabinet design. I found a neat interior design on a website that I am looking into, but it wouldn't leave room for a pass through door. Next step? Design the inside :)

Steve- my head is already spinning! :lol: I also thought about an electric cooler, but then realized that I never really go camping for longer than ice will last, or I am close enough to a store to get more.

Thanks, everyone, for the info. :thumbsup: Very much appreciated!
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby Esteban » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:37 pm

Lauren, coffee in the morning? Check out Sonetpro's Fish Inn. It has a beautiful galley with almost a mini Starbucks. Fish Inn :)
coffee? :)
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby lfrazer98 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:02 am

Esteban wrote:Lauren, coffee in the morning? Check out Sonetpro's Fish Inn. It has a beautiful galley with almost a mini Starbucks. Fish Inn :)
coffee? :)

I've actually seen this one before. I love the look of the galley and mine is very similar, except for the slide out coffee station in the center. Maybe I should be adding this in to my design! :D
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby mezmo » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:57 am

There are many great galleys among all the builds on here,
but my favorite is Bob Henry's Chubby's galley. With it's swing
out cabinets and fold-down counter connecting them, it has
the most counter space I've seen yet:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18699

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.