1st Build, a 5'x8' Foamie Teardrop on a 4'x8' HF Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: 1st Build, a 5'x8' Foamie Teardrop on a 4'x8' HF Trailer

Postby jseyfert3 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:13 pm

bespurcell wrote:Just reminding you to work on your teardrop :D

I'm sorry. I got a paper route on New Year's Eve and did that miserable thing for the rest of my winter break until I failed to wake up for the second time in two weeks despite multiple alarms on my phone and a really loud alarm clock with bed shaker. It was horrible how draining that was. I said "no way can I do this anymore" and quit, despite not getting my last paycheck(s). Because of that, I ended up making about $160 after what I spent in gas for just over two miserable weeks of middle of the night paper routes (averaging 4-5 hours a night, 7 days a week). Plus I put a nice dent and 9" scratch in my car when I slid off the road into a mailbox.

Anyway, that's the short version. Bottom line, NEVER get a paper route. :thumbdown:

And that is why I didn't get any work done on my camper over break. Cause I was working or sleeping 80% of the time. Now I'm a month into classes taking 17 credit hours, working part time, and the treasurer of the transfer student council at my school. I'd like to get it done but it just doesn't seem like that will happen anytime soon.
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolfpack » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:08 am

Hi jseyfert3, I've been lurking on this site for a few months, and a few member's builds have inspired me to build a teardrop. Your build has convinced me a foamie would be most suitable, and I shall be starting it next month; fingers crossed it will be just warm enough for the paint/glue to dry, and I shall be following some of your posts.

I hope you'll be able to find some more time to work on your build this year. :thumbsup:
Wolfpack
Teardrop Builder

Postby MuddyWolf » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:31 am

I agree. GREAT job so far. I'll be towing with a small car so I think foamy is the way to go for me too. I'll be watching as you complete this build.
MuddyWolf
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dmellor » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:56 pm

You've been working on your trailer for a long time and doing an outstanding job every step of the way. Don't be discouraged if you have a hiatus. I've built two so far and am working on a third. None of them were finished with continuous work. The first one sat for several months while I was especially busy at work, but I got back to it and my wife and I have made several trips with it.
BTW the trailer we're building now is a king size bed with a galley that has hot and cold running water and a three burner gas stove, refrigerator and (when on shore power) microwave/convection oven! Oh, I forgot, the reason I'm mentioning it is we're making it out of foam also. Our outside skin is fiberglas sheeting purchased from the RV surplus stores. The inside skin is 5mm plywood. We're using wood inserts the same way you are for shelves, doors, hatches, and fan. So far, so good. Thanks to Bear at Vintage Technologies for a lot of parts, supplies, and advice. Keep up the great work when you can. Maybe we'll get around to posting some pictures of our build before the summer is over. Peace!
dmellor
Teardrop Inspector

Postby djdawg » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:40 pm

jseyfert3 wrote:Image
Stopping Point by jseyfert3, on Flickr

This pic is exactly what I needed! I knew there was a way to build a wider TD....I knew the info was here somewhere but couldn't find it. Thanks!
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby jseyfert3 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:55 pm

djdawg wrote:
jseyfert3 wrote:Snipped picture

This pic is exactly what I needed! I knew there was a way to build a wider TD....I knew the info was here somewhere but couldn't find it. Thanks!

You are quite welcome! :thumbsup:
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby jseyfert3 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:06 pm

I received an offer for this camper from a member here who was watching the build, is interested in it, and messaged me as he didn't want to see a good project rot away. I told him that wouldn't happen, as it's sitting in a garage. At first I declined, as despite the long hiatus I did and do want to finish it, I'm just a little low on the motivation and time between work and school. I just messaged him back though, after thinking about it for a while. Selling it isn't a bad idea as things stand, all things considered. If it sells, I'll plan to build another one sometime after I graduate in December of next year and get a (hopefully) well paying job. Another build would be documented as this one was, I'd probably have new motivation to finish it in the form of another person who would want to use it with me, and I'd have plenty of time available to work on it. In the mean time I'd actually have room in my garage to finish organizing it and building shelves and it'd let me park my car inside over the winter.

If you are, or know someone who is, interested in buying this as it stands, you can feel free to PM me in case my current offer falls through. I will make a post if it sells, and if I start another one in a year and a half I'll link over to that one so you can follow along if you'd like.
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby stanger1944 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:21 am

jseyfert3 wrote:
djdawg wrote:

Me too but what brackets are used to connect the wood to the trailer frame?
stanger1944
Teardrop Inspector

Postby alchemist77 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:20 pm

You are an inspiration to us all.This documentation is fantastic and sets the bar high. Please document the next one as well. Thank you a million times for the pictures and complete documentation. I will be thanking you, and quoting your build in mine. Thanks for the motivation.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
David Campbell
KF7SFU
RaDAR
SOTA
alchemist77
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Nobes » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:17 pm

stanger1944 wrote:
jseyfert3 wrote:
djdawg wrote:

Me too but what brackets are used to connect the wood to the trailer frame?

I used this method for my 5x9 woodie build, the Bears' Lair. I drove it 5+ hours to Ruidoso, NM last weekend, and back, and it did great. No problems. I bought the brackets at Lowe's in the deck-building section. They are square metal with holes for connecting to upper and lower pieces. Very easy and simple to use. In use they are turned on end, so they look 'diamond' shaped.

You can read about them early in this build journal and early in mine.

Good luck!
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:58 pm

KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

FINAL UPDATE

Postby jseyfert3 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:16 pm

Final update: While I am (almost) graduated and expected to resume and finish this, because of my new job and renting a place for the next two years instead of buying, which means limited garage space, I sold this as-is to a guy in Iowa. Delivered it to him yesterday. He knows of this site, and read this thread before I drove it all the way over to him. Perhaps he will join and post his own thread with the continuation of this camper build.

My wife didn't want me to sell it, she wanted to go camping in it. But without storage at our new place, I would have had to pay at least $500 a year to store it in a covered place, and still wouldn't have been able to work on it for two years. It just wasn't worth paying that much to store it, sadly.

I want to give a big thank you to all my followers and those that gave me suggestions and ideas, and helped figure issues out. The build was a lot of fun, but I'll certainly miss never being able to actually spend a night in a campground with this even more than the building and interacting with all of you.

Before I go, I do want to point out, for those that may still be hoping for me to finish this, and who have shown great patience, that I do fully intend to do something in the future. My current idea, because I now own a speedboat and will be buying a pickup truck, is to make a lightweight foam pickup truck bed camper. It would be similar to the commercial versions, but built with the same foam and canvas used here so that it's light enough to have in the bed of the pickup and still be able to tow a 3500 lbs boat and trailer. That's at least 2+ years out now, but once I can buy another house, I can start building. It means I have two years to plan the build! Of course if I end up with kids by then who knows....

Take care all. Perhaps you'll see me here again someday, and perhaps at a TnTTT meetup sometime! :cheerswine:
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby SummittDweller » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:39 pm

If you would like to follow the rest of this build just visit viewtopic.php?f=50&t=68082.
SummittDweller
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Build Journals