The Money Pit

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Money Pit

Postby Tabitha » Sun May 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Thanks everyone, I've been documenting everything so when we do sue I have all the receipts, photos, and video to present. It's been a project to say the least.

Oh I'm so sorry Shadow Catcher that stinks that you have leaks. I just finished replacing out vent because it was broken and leaked, the builder used the lowest grade materials... it's sort of become a running gag with us, "Did Crybaby install or build it.......then it's gonna need to be replaced."

I turned a corner this week and it's felt so good. I've been keeping up with my repairs and our camps on my blog. http://crybabyteardrop.blogspot.com/ I found some very cool things I added to our tear and can't wait for our next camp. I'm out working on it today but it was hot and I needed a mental break, I have one light that I can't get to work so I took a step away.

I've had a lot of people reach out to me about their experience with Crybaby/Surfside (he changed the name of the business because of my negative press) and about how they were ripped off by giving a deposit and not getting a trailer or getting a trailer and now they are chasing problems like ours. Doors and galleys have failed on the road and ours wasn't the only axle he cut and modified. It's terrifying to know he continues to do business though I have heard he has filed Chapter 7.

There is nothing left of him in this trailer and I continue with my blog to hopefully educate and make others aware that they need to look into their builders very carefully and look beyond the teardrop colored glasses to make sure it is built well.
Someday, we will learn to take living in stride. Sometime, we will learn to pay less attention to the imagined and stop fussing about things we had nothing to do with in the past - and cannot change significantly in the future. Very soon, we will sit together in the sun a whole day and just be happy that we can sit together in the sun all day and just be happy.
___ Cherokee Author Unknown
Tabitha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun May 24, 2015 3:54 pm

I have got to say your very creative work with the blue resin looks fantastic. I am not an artistic person and admire it in others.
One suggestion since you did not go with a Fantastic Fan or similar you could do what I did in using computer case fans. I used three speed Antec 80mm fans and they work very well with very little power draw. Two versions with the two tears.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Tabitha » Tue May 26, 2015 12:21 am

That is very creative!! The new vent lets so much air in we're going to give it a go without the fan for now.

I was on a good role today and wanted the sun to stay out longer.
Someday, we will learn to take living in stride. Sometime, we will learn to pay less attention to the imagined and stop fussing about things we had nothing to do with in the past - and cannot change significantly in the future. Very soon, we will sit together in the sun a whole day and just be happy that we can sit together in the sun all day and just be happy.
Tabitha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tabitha » Thu May 28, 2015 12:29 am

I took a step back today and started routing and ripping my frame for my cabinets. Here are a couple photos of how it looks now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432790964.616001.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432790964.616001.jpg (231.31 KiB) Viewed 1924 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432790759.887122.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432790759.887122.jpg (231.58 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432790722.401727.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432790722.401727.jpg (201.19 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Tabitha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikerueve » Thu May 28, 2015 7:38 am

I love the color of the wood in your interior and Galley! You have done a great job making it yours. I also appreciate the Route 66 stuff. My wife and I travelled the entire route last year in our teardrop as our
25th wedding anniversary present to ourselves. (Actually, our teardrop was part of the present too!) When we got to Santa Monica, I looked at her and said "Want to go back the way we came"? If only we had the time....
mikerueve
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tabitha » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:30 pm

Our theme is Route 66, I used to travel it a lot as a kid and a couple years back took my husband and our youngest on it which kinda led us to our teardrop. My favorite memory was swimming in the pond at the Blue Whale. My husband said our trailer wasn't big enough to be called The Blue Whale, he said we were more guppy size so our trailer is The Blue Guppy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433453346.595766.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433453346.595766.jpg (187.93 KiB) Viewed 1832 times

Finished rebuilding the nose cabinet. The old one from Crybaby/Surfside fell apart on our first trip out.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433453094.945995.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433453094.945995.jpg (224.31 KiB) Viewed 1832 times

The new nose cabinet fits very well and is made out of quality material not scrap like the original.
Tabitha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tabitha » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:31 pm

Our theme is Route 66, I used to travel it a lot as a kid and a couple years back took my husband and our youngest on it which kinda led us to our teardrop. My favorite memory was swimming in the pond at the Blue Whale. My husband said our trailer wasn't big enough to be called The Blue Whale, he said we were more guppy size so our trailer is The Blue Guppy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433453094.945995.jpg

Finished rebuilding the nose cabinet. The old one from Crybaby/Surfside fell apart on our first trip out.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433453346.595766.jpg

The new nose cabinet fits very well and is made out of quality material not scrap like the original.
Tabitha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tabitha » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:32 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433453544.377991.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433453544.377991.jpg (187.93 KiB) Viewed 1831 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433453526.393412.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433453526.393412.jpg (224.31 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
Tabitha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tabitha » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:15 pm

Wow my last update on the money pit was 2015. Well a lot of hard work and time and we are almost done with rebuilding it.

Crybaby Teardrop/Surfside Custom Camping Trailers is no longer in business. There are still many folks looking for the owner to sue. A lot of people paid deposits and he made off with their money, others are like us and got an inferior trailer.

This last week I finally was able to Install the new galley hinge (other projects took priority) and it works great!Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tabitha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dmdc411 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:40 am

Sorry to hear of all the problems you and many others have had with this guy! Read about him a few years ago. Don't remember who was talking about him though. Looks like you got it straightened out and ready to be used. Enjoy your TD! There are frigging idiots who prey on anyone they cab get a hold of. He'll have his judgment day!!!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals