Compact family camper Build - Always something...

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Compact family camper Build - Finishing touches

Postby ryuandwings » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:48 am

backstrap bandit wrote:I would like to know where u got the tounge hatch adjusters and great quality build

I will go though my receipts tonight to find out where I got them from.
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby backstrap bandit » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:51 am

Thank you
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby ryuandwings » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:08 am

backstrap bandit wrote:Thank you

I found it in my email.
I got it from Ducowrks Boatbuilder's Supply. http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/cabinet/sd321295-96/index.htm
Mine is 18" version.
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Compact family camper Build - First Damage...

Postby ryuandwings » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:41 pm

Can I blow off my steam a little? :x :x
I manage to damage my trailer even before I had chance to take it out to the maiden voyage. :x

I took it to the truck stop to get it weight last Saturday. I test drove around the town and it pulled behind really great. I was so happy and excited about it.

When I got to the truck stop there was a huge pot hole! :x Since I was already in the truck stop, I was not going fast at all, but that was such a deep pot hole it bounced quite a bit.
Since I was there at night, I didn't noticed anything at the truck stop. But when I saw it next morning, fenders were pulled out from the wall. :x

I used three L brackets per fender. 2 brackets of passenger side and 1 bracket of driver side were pulled out and bolt hole were enlarged.
This is at the rear with 1 bolt on the wall.

This at the middle with 2 bolts.

This is the front. I think this one is fine.

I need to fill the bolt hole with something so I can bolt the brackets back.
Those holes do not seem too bad. I should be able to insert some wood pieces and glue them in there.

I can't decide wether I should leave the damage as is an insert small wood pieces or bore holes larger, glue plugs then drill new holes. :thinking:

If you guys and gals can think what need to do, please let me know.
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Re: Compact family camper Build - First Damage...

Postby KCStudly » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:05 pm

That's just plain unfortunate! Sorry for your troubles.

Did the tires come up and hit inside of the fenders dislodging them?

Judging by your first photo, above, it looks like there was no way for the fender to hit anything before the tire. On the other hand the fender looks like it was mounted pretty close to the tire, so I'm wondering if there wasn't enough clearance between the tire and fender.

If so, to prevent this from happening again you may want to raise the fenders up. If you don't want to change the look, anther option might be to add bump stops, but that might limit suspension travel excessively and could lead to other issues, so I would prioritize adequate clearance. Again, assuming that this is the problem to begin with.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:14 pm

Sorry to see that.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby backstrap bandit » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:21 am

How about using 2part epoxy in the holes then u can re drill
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby dales133 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:23 am

Damn that realy sucks, I can only imagine how mortified I'd be under the circumstances.
I would probably glue decent size plugs in then you'll know it's repaired properly.
I'm no expert on teardrop construction but that's what I'd do foe peace of mind.
I think KC is on the money with the tyres hitting the gaurds as it sounds the most logical explanation
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby tac422 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:20 am

After you repair the damage, I think a large fender washer on the inside and outside to sandwich the wall would help spread the load.
tac422
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:28 am

If the tires are hitting the fenders or fender brackets (and if they can, they will... that monster pot hole was not just an anomaly, there are all kinds of road hazards out there that you will find eventually... or even sooner than later) then no amount of washers or glue repair is going to prevent some sort of similar damage in the future; either fenders being knocked off or tires getting shredded by the bracket.

Make sure that the tires can't hit the fenders (and/or fender brackets), then you will only need to worry about running them into things. ;) :FNP
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ryuandwings » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:41 pm

Thank you all for posting comments. It really make me feel much less paintfull. :)
I wanted to comment much sooner, but I was traveling all day and I just now getting settled.
But that gave me a good time to think back on the way I installed the fenders.

KC is right on about the tire coming up and hitting the fender when I hit the pothole. It seems like tires came up more toward the rear. Because of this, I will not be reusing the current holes. I will just fill these holes with epoxy and somehow cap to hide the ugly mess. I will shift fenders up for more clearance.
Speaking of clearance, I did space the fender and tire either 1.5" or 2". I did by using 2x4 or 2x4 and 1/2" plywood. Now the next part is my another dimensional hiccup. I did not account for the thickness of brackets and nuts that hold fender to the brackets. :? I measured this morning and those totaled to about 3/4"! :shock:
So even I had fender and tire spaced 1.5", there were only less than 1" between tire and the nuts. I will make sure to account for those next time.

In some weird and funny way, it actually makes me feel better because that was my own error. I can easily control my own mistakes and fix. I've been doing that for past 2 years. :lol: All I need to do is fix and watch out for the pot hole in the future. Beside I say great build is how you recover from your mistakes.

Oh, speaking of the pothole, I stop by and took the picture as I was leaving today.

I think the passenger side tire fell in to the middle section which is at least 2' in diameter and don't know how deep it is because of the water.

Well, I will back in garage tackling this problem. At least weather is much better now. :D
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby Rudyjr » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Ryu, Ask around and see if you can find anyone who has or can get a Nutsert tool. You can tap the aluminum down flat and drill the appropriate size hole for the insert that you use. The tool expands the insert in the hole like a rivet and they are threaded on the inside for bolts. We use them on projects all the time and they hold really well. Jim
Rudyjr
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:20 pm

:shock: I'm so sorry that this happened! The first ding or gouge or.... is always the hardest; but, since you built it yourself, it will be easier to figure out how to fix it. You've gotten some really good answers already. I am certain that you'll have it looking good as new and acting even better than new, soon.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:21 pm

DOUBLE OUCH!

I'm under the impression that Dexter axles with a 22.5º down angle need 3" of room to move. I don't know where I came up with that number but I know that it was after my first build. Why am I so sure of that timeline? Becuase I had to re-attach my fenders twice. That's right; twice. :x

Nobody will ever see those holes unless you point them out.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ryuandwings » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:07 am

Rudyjr wrote:Ryu, Ask around and see if you can find anyone who has or can get a Nutsert tool. You can tap the aluminum down flat and drill the appropriate size hole for the insert that you use. The tool expands the insert in the hole like a rivet and they are threaded on the inside for bolts. We use them on projects all the time and they hold really well. Jim

That's a neat tool. I can think a few places I'd like to use that.
What thickness of skin material needed to attach a nutsert?
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals