'47 MobilGlide maiden voyage went great!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

'47 MobilGlide maiden voyage went great!

Postby doug hodder » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:59 pm

I had posted some info on this project on the Canned ham/bread loaf forum, but this will be my "official" journal on it. This is a MobilGlide Globetrotter from '47. They only made the MobilGlides for 3 years '46-'48. It was post war construction so used a lot of technology from the aircraft industry in WW2 and probably some laid off aircraft workers. It's 12' x 7' x 6'4" interior height, steel frame, aluminum body with aluminum structure and interior. Windows are the older Marvel type with copper screens...can't wait to buy that screen...ugg.

Fully complete, they only weighed 1300#. It has individual torsion stub axles with a shock. Both sides are trashed. The tongue is also cracked and has been repaired in the past. The exterior corners are spun aluminum. They turned a large bowl of flat material with a tool then cut it into quarters. The corners are much thicker than the rest of the skin and the tool marks are left in the corners.

This trailer was used as a tool storage and probably a mobile work shop at one time. Extra 110 wiring was run across the ceiling, and the floor was pretty dirty from spilled oil hydraulic fluid etc. I removed the last remaining floor mount cabinet today and stripped out all the existing flooring. I was surprised as it has a solid clear fir sub floor, minor rot at some of the edges to replace. On top of the fir which was varnished, was tar paper and an overlay of masonite with older style linoleum over that.

I got dimensions for a new flexiride axle on it, will get some new artillery wheels ordered, and have a plan on welding up a new tongue on it. This will certainly be a keeper for me. Thanks for watching. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: '47 MobilGlide starting 4/19

Postby prohandyman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:49 am

Subscribed of course, it is always fun and informational to watch others explore and create. Sometimes my head is mush when envisioning a particular method or design, and watching builds like yours gives me clear thinking. This Mobilglide will be fun to watch! You truly inspire the rest of us!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby High Desert » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:27 am

also subscribed, I'm sure this will be another great DougCraft build to watch 8)
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:07 am

I'm in too Doug.:thumbsup:
Sounds like metal spinning, something my wood lathe is capable of doing up to 20" because of infinite variable speed.
You need to go very slow with metal spinning.
Just make a solid wood bowl block the desired size and use a large round nosed tool between two metal posts on the tool rest to push the flat round metal to the bowl block.
One of these day I'll get the tool rest and tool and give it a whirl.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby dano » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:10 am

Doug, I love these trailers. Cant wait to see you do your magic. Are they also called Bread Loafs ? Or is that a different trailer.
Dano
[email protected]
Morgan Hill Ca.
dano
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:37 pm

Boy!!! That was quick...I just ordered a 2K Flexiride axle from Southwest wheel on Wed. of last week and it showed up today on FedEx! Manufactured it to my specs. and shipped from Texas to Ca. in 6 days. Super service!

Andrew is taking a peek at what I've drawn up for a new frame, so hopefully I'll be good to go to get some iron and start welding on a new frame soon. Artillery wheels should be here soon. Doug

yes Dano...this is a "breadloaf"
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby WeirdDogGuy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:42 pm

Just curious-where did you get your arties from? Nice build!
WeirdDogGuy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:54 pm

They are being made by The Wheelsmith in Corona Ca. They will set you up with width, backset, powdercoated or raw steel. I bought 5x15's with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, powdercoated in the color I wanted. They aren't inexpensive, but it's worth it for me to get the look I want. I'm a believer that a wheel really helps make the build appearance. The trailer had one on it, however, it's really rough, not made for tubeless tires and in a 6 bolt pattern. By the time I found another to match and did all the work on it, I'd have as much as a pair of new ones and it wouldn't have the 5 on 4.5 pattern which matches all the other trailers I have so I have a spare. Here's the link. Doug

http://www.thewheelsmith.net/
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby bdosborn » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:16 pm

Go Doug Go! :thumbsup:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

'47 MobilGlide starting 4/19

Postby aggie79 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:46 am

bdosborn wrote:Go Doug Go! :thumbsup:

Bruce

Doug,

I'm with Bruce. We're excited to see this project starting.

I'd also like to add a +1 on The Wheelsmith. They built my smoothy wheels for my teardrop.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri May 02, 2014 8:25 pm

I made the trip to DMV today. I got it titled as a '47 and a PTI vintage plate on it to boot! The '47 plate only needs approval from the "head office" in Sacramento. I can't imagine a hang up as that plate has probably been out of the system for 40 years. I was told that approval should take 3 months, not a big deal to me....it won't be on the road till next summer at least. Parts are arriving and Andrew gave me an OK on my frame ideas so I can start on a new frame for it. While I was at DMV a guy waiting and I were talking. He just painted a '37 Hayes and also has a MobilGlide like mine. He took off before I could get his number. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby doug hodder » Fri May 09, 2014 8:38 pm

Parts are starting to dribble in. Today I got the front jack and dolly wheel and the artillery wheels with the stainless caps and trim rings. Steel is being bent for the new frame. I think that will be a great vintage look on this build, especially when it gets paired up with some wide whites. Trailer name will be in script across the cap. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: '47 MobilGlide update 5/9

Postby martymcfly » Fri May 09, 2014 11:33 pm

I wanted ww's, but went with ws when I saw the price on real ww"s. I thought about doing portawalls, but they seemed kind of schetchy.
martymcfly
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Sat May 10, 2014 12:39 am

I thought about going with a straight black wall, but given the rarity of this trailer and what I'm trying to accomplish, figured it was worth the expense. I have put WW's on a couple of trailers and in my opinion, it really helps to make the look. Others opinions may vary. There are U-tubes out there on how to make your own white walls from white letter tires however. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat May 10, 2014 1:14 am

http://www.google.com/search?q=MobilGli ... 89&bih=899

there are a few out there.

next week end is the Pismo antique trailer show. I will see if any are there. have some pictures of similar ones.
http://www.google.com/search?q=MobilGli ... 89&bih=899

at the end of this is one that is like it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evDUYjtTY3s

Looks like fun
Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals