Clown Car Teardrop Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Clown Car Teardrop Build

Postby Krusty » Tue May 09, 2017 3:46 pm

dancam wrote:Any changes since? I really like your trailer. I am in the planning stages for a similar design and hope to have one built by the end of summer. I got some ideas from yours :)
What is your door off of or from?

I know I'm replying super late, but I haven't been on the site in a long time.

No changes yet. While in storage some of my aluminum flashing has started to delaminate as the lid settled in shape a bit. I'm torn as to whether I'm going to reskin it in something thicker or just change my glue and give it another go.
Krusty
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Zilonox » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Would you look at that! I've been reading about builds on this site for over a year in preparation of the day I would be able to acquire a trailer. I was just recently able to do so! It's a 4x6 with a 4ft tall wooden box that the owner built. It's small, but the price was right. My plan was to modify it as cheaply as possible to sleep four. Interestingly enough, I finally settled on a design that is almost exactly like yours. Funny thing is I never saw your build until today when i was perusing the lift-top build thread ([url]viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50969[/url]) looking for ideas on lifting and supporting the outer shell. Because I plan on a loft for the kids, I planned on our bed being much closer to floor level, but the double slide-out along with the outer pop-up is exactly what I was going to do!

Due to the bed being lower, I can't use the slide-outs for supporting the outer shell. Instead, I plan on attaching square tubing to the trailer frame that will slide inside the front corners and near the back of the outer shell and I will use a metal pin on each tube to hold up the top (the loft bed will be part of the bottom structure). I plan on manually lifting the top (with help) at the moment, but a hand-crank winch and some pulleys are on my wishlist.

I've already started my build, but not the build thread. I'll give you inspiration credit when I get the build thread up, but I wanted to take a moment to say well done (on both versions) and thank you for sharing. Looks like you're not around much anymore, which is too bad because I'd love to pick your brains on constructing and sealing up the slide outs.
:)

Z
Zilonox
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Krusty » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:36 pm

Thanks!

Life has gotten in the way so I haven't had a chance to go back and do more figuring out of the roof yet. Figuring out how to lift and the best materials to use to keep it light is still problematic. Once I do get the lid to my liking, I may put it up for sale as the wife and I are now expecting twins. We've since purchased a vehicle that will actually tow things so I'm contemplating moving over to a real pop-up trailer to get the extra bed space.
Krusty
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Build Journals