Tucson tortoise: Edit for photos

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Tucson tortoise

Postby Sheddie » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:53 am

Hi Tim,
that is really looking fantastic :thumbsup:
I haven't had much time to look in on the forum for a while so have just stated to catch up on things. You have made a beautiful job and it looks like you are getting a lot of fun out of it. I have had a read of your travels and followed them on google maps. I had a look at the video you shot, very good, and thanks for the mention it was a pleasure to have been of assistance. ;)
Enjoy the retirement and have lots of fun touring your country with that fabulous looking teardrop. :vroom: Its a pity that we will never get to camp with you :(
Don't forget to keep the :pictures: coming.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dales133 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:02 am

Nice to see your back frank!
Im like everyone else.... waiting for an update from tim.
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby noseoil » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:28 am

Been a while since I've posted, busy, retired & the punch list is pretty short now for the trailer. This weekend I worked on the cabin speaker enclosures. I'd bought the 5" x 7" speakers with the stereo but never installed them, so here's what we did to finish this one off.

Basically, I made an enclosure out of 1/4" panels, one 6" x 8" & one 3" x 8" to form a 90 degree corner. There are "rub blocks" along the top & two sides, where the enclosures meet the wiring chase, outer wall & backing panel (galley bulkhead). Once the enclosures were located, I ran some masking tape as an outline to have a reference mark & keep the glue contained.

2 small holes were drilled through the galley bulkhead from the cabin side. Then they were re-drilled from the galley side into the rub blocks which mate with the wall. I used some small #6 screws to hold the box in place temporarily, along with some urethane adhesive to stick them to the three sides. There was still a little "slop" with this system, so a stick was cut to hold things in place until the glue is completely dry.

Here they are in place, but you'll have to imagine them without the stick. It should come off this afternoon & they should stay in place well enough.

Other than that, not much to report. I've changed the curtain rods to be a bit better this weekend. I used some elastic cord to hold them in place originally, which worked OK, but they sagged over time & I decided a more solid support was in order. Got a couple lengths of 5/16" all-thread, with some lock nuts & washers to replace the cords. It's much better now & there is no more sag in the rods.

This summer's trip will be to Colorado & some mountains for cool sleeping weather. Our son comes home from deployment in July & will return to Colorado Springs for his next post, so we're looking forward to seeing him there. Will post pictures of the trip again. For now, thanks for looking.

For Michael if he sees this post, hang tough buddy, you're in good hands!
Last edited by noseoil on Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 5150red » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:17 am

noseoil wrote:Been a while since I've posted, busy, retired & the punch list is pretty short now for the trailer. This weekend I worked on the cabin speaker enclosures. I'd bought the 5" x 7" speakers with the stereo but never installed them, so here's what we did to finish this one off.

Basically, I made an enclosure out of 1/4" panels, one 6" x 8" & one 3" x 8" to form a 90 degree corner. There are "rub blocks" along the top & two sides, where the enclosures meet the wiring chase, outer wall & backing panel (galley bulkhead). Once the enclosures were located, I ran some masking tape as an outline to have a reference mark & keep the glue contained.

2 small holes were drilled through the galley bulkhead from the cabin side. Then they were re-drilled from the galley side into the rub blocks which mate with the wall. I used some small #6 screws to hold the box in place temporarily, along with some urethane adhesive to stick them to the three sides. There was still a little "slop" with this system, so a stick was cut to hold things in place until the glue is completely dry.

Here they are in place, but you'll have to imagine them without the stick. It should come off this afternoon & they should stay in place well enough.

Other than that, not much to report. I've changed the curtain rods to be a bit better this weekend. I used some elastic cord to hold them in place originally, which worked OK, but they sagged over time & I decided a more solid support was in order. Got a couple lengths of 5/16" all-thread, with some lock nuts & washers to replace the cords. It's much better now & there is no more sag in the rods.

This summer's trip will be to Colorado & some mountains for cool sleeping weather. Our son comes home from deployment in July & will return to Colorado Springs for his next post, so we're looking forward to seeing him there. Will post pictures of the trip again. For now, thanks for looking.

For Michael if he sees this post, hang tough buddy, you're in good hands!

Thank you for raising a boy who is willing to protect his country, while we sleep peacefully at night!
The curtain looks great, I especially like the "fighting octopus" hook who looks ready to protect your hard work. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5150red
Teardrop Builder

Postby noseoil » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:40 pm

Red, thanks for your comment. We're proud of our son, his buddies & the job they do.

Working on the last drawer & a "magic marble towel holder" for the galley. We've missed having a place for a skillet & sauce pan, so the drawer will be a good addition. We kept them in a tote in the truck, but it wasn't too convenient for cooking. Took a while to figure it out & had to change the design a little on the fly today, but it should work now. The space is limited, but the design should keep things in place while on the road. Next post should give you a better idea about how it installs & works. Using a bottom-mount full extension guide to locate the drawer.

Towel holder

Drawer & holder stained
Last edited by noseoil on Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby noseoil » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Drawer

Towel holder
Last edited by noseoil on Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:11 pm

Hi Tim, nice to see those little finishing touches.
Snap on the towel holder, they work well. :thumbsup:
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby noseoil » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:54 am

Thanks Frank. I originally "stole" the idea from you & your build, but it took this long to actually make it and add a towel!

Still enjoying the door keepers we have & I think of you every time I use them. They've made a longer journey than the trailer has on any one trip. We're up to 10,000 miles now on the build & should add to that total a bit more this summer. Will post some summer pictures of Colorado when it's time.

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nobes » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:19 pm

Vey beautiful work!
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby lfhoward » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Tim, I love the custom work you've done in the galley to keep your stuff secure and organized. The slide outs are very cool.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:12 pm

lfhoward wrote:Tim, I love the custom work you've done in the galley to keep your stuff secure and organized. The slide outs are very cool.

Yes, this.

So is the towel clip as simple as it looks, or is there some sort of gizmo hidden in the box that pinches the hem of the towel?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby me&z » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:18 pm

KCStudly wrote:
lfhoward wrote:Tim, I love the custom work you've done in the galley to keep your stuff secure and organized. The slide outs are very cool.

Yes, this.

So is the towel clip as simple as it looks, or is there some sort of gizmo hidden in the box that pinches the hem of the towel?

Like, maybe, a marble?
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:22 pm

Ding, ding, ding, a winner! Yep, just a marble & gravity. Drill a hole on an angle in a block of wood, so the side protrudes out of the block, then a spacer & another side piece hold the towel in place.

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Thanks Frank. I originally "stole" the idea from you & your build, but it took this long to actually make it and add a towel! 

Thats ok by me, I stole the idea from someone else :twisted:
Here's a :pictures: of how I did my one
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Fri May 05, 2017 12:43 pm

Looking really good, Tim. Nice job!
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals