Sleepin Around, New Zealand. The Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Sleepin Around, New Zealand. The Build

Postby Sheddie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:07 pm

So, without going over to the shed to measure the offcuts (it is piddling down out there) would make the side sheets about 18-20kg each and about 58kg for the roof and hatch.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dales133 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:01 pm

Yea sounds about right.
A 2. 4x1.2 sheet is a bit under 3m2
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:58 pm

Name on.
:beer: Frank
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby felixx » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:13 pm

Awesome.. I was looking for a "like" button
:applause:
felixx
Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:43 am

The wifes mother looked at the name and said, " Do you realise that it could be taken more than one way"?
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Vedette » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:53 am

Nice name!
How tasty was that sheep! :twisted:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi :wine: :wine:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi Brian,
As usual the sheep was delicious :R We stab little holes all around it and insert small pieces of garlic and rosemary, give it a light sprinkle of salt. Then I light the burners, and connect the battery charger to the windscreen wiper motor that drives the cake mixer that turns the old bronze boat propeller shaft (at 3/4 of a turn a minute), that goes through the middle of the sheep, for about 4 - 1/2 hours.Image
With about 60 people, there wasn't much left on the bones when we finished lunch. :campfire: :Flippin Burger:
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:34 pm

Nice build! I'm planning my build now, and hope to start in the next couple of weeks. Also in New Zealand (Auckland).

Any chance you can get some details of the molding you used? pics and where you found it etc?

At this point i'm looking at getting some from the US, but local would be MUCH easier

How did you seal the galley?

Regards,

Ned
Build Journal :: My Grumman 2 (ish) TD
Ned
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Sheddie » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi Ned,
Good to here from you and that things are happening toward your build. I had seen and replied to your newbie post.
I was talking to Jeff a while ago and he said he knew you.
I assume the molding you are referring to is what I have covering the join between roof and sides. It is unequal angle alloy, we got it from Ullrich Aluminium , part No. UA1093 1.6x25x12x5m. I used it all the way around the roof and the hatch.
Click here is their extrusion catalogue http://www.ullrich.co.nz/pdfs/Brochure_pdfs/ebooks/extrusion/files/index.html
I also used UA1731 1.6X20X12X5M around the inner liner on the hatch. This had three uses 1), to protect the edge of the liner, 2), to have a tidy finish along the edge of the liner, 3), to created a drip line for any water that gets in that far and direct it into the channel down the inside of the walls. I also used UA1534 22X10 down the back edges of the walls under where the hatch closes. I put one each side and over lapped them. I wanted to use a U section there but they are all deeper than they are wide and that wouldn't have bent around the curve and would have looked too heavy if it had. They come in 5m lengths and at the time were about $12 - $14 +gst per length.
The channel I used in the galley is UA1410 drip mould 22mm comes in a 4m length.
Couldn't find Hurricane hinge in NZ and didn't want to risk damage possibilities of shipping from overseas. I got three big stainless steel hinges from Bunnings, and with the alloy trims have a narrow gap with a foam weather seal. The hatch overlaps the walls down the sides and I have the foam seal down there as well.
Should any water get past there I have a ledge across below the hinges and the drain channels down the sides. We haven't had any issues with water getting in to the galley either camped or on the road.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:03 pm

It was about time to give the old Green Capri a rest and reluctantly put a towbar on the not so old Red Capri to give it a turn at towing duties.
Unfortunately it wasn't just a case of going down to the local Ford dealer or auto accessories store and buying one off the shelf, most of the kids that work in these places wouldn't know what a Capri is. The towbar installers would have to make one from scratch and I wasn't prepared to let them loose on Dales precious toy. We checked with the Capri club, but not much luck there, then looked on ebay, but shipping from England was too expensive. I had seen some pictures which had given me some design ideas so decided to build my own. I had taken a towbar of a Sunbeam Rapier that I have sitting in the basement that I thought I could adapt but ended up only using the tongue. The issue is that there is not a lot of space between the rear valance and the fuel tank. To put it behind the bumper, bracing was going to be a problem and I didn't want the main beam hanging out where it was in plain view. The gap between the rear valance and the fuel tank was too tight to use tube, but I had a good hefty length of angle that I could squeeze in there and a length of flat bar that would weld inside the angle to box it off. More of the angle mounted this to the sub frames just behind the spring hangers with bolts going through non crush spacers in to the boot area, with big backing plates. To stop any for and aft movement I took braces from the bottom of the angle forward to where the exhaust mounts go through the chassis rails (v6 Capri has exhaust each side). There are anti crush tubes in there too so was a good solid mount point. It has ended up tucked up mostly out of sight and is as solid as the proverbial brick out house.
All wired up for lighting and the heavy wiring for battery charging in the TD.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:33 am

Cheers for the reply, looks good. It's a shame we can't get the nice stuff from the US without paying a fortune in shipping :-(
Ned
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Sheddie » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:06 am

What is the stuff you are looking at :QM
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Vedette » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:42 pm

We finally caught up to you Frank......it is 2015 here now! :P
Don't know if I missed it in the past (and too lazy to look back through all your posts??) but do you have a Tear Jerkers Chapter in NZ?
If so....Are you having any Gatherings?
If not.......Why not? As it looks like there is starting to be quite a Teardrop following there???? :thinking:
Happy New Year!
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi Brian & Sandi,
Happy New Year to you too. Its the second here now and a beautiful day. :wine:
There hasn't been a Tear Jerkers Chapter formed in NZ that I know of.
Although there have been quite a few TDs in NZ they are fairly thin spread and it is only over the past year that I have had any sort of contact with any of them. There have been quite a few come on to TNTTT say Hi and then not hear any more of them.
You could say that we have had a gathering already, as we met up with Jeff (Bantam) at Whangamata for the Brits at the beach car show.
I was also talking to Marcus (new leaf) on the phone a while ago and there was a brief mention that we should have some sort of get together. Marcus is also in contact with a few others on Facebook.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:41 pm

Bantam actually lives a few minutes away from me and have gone to see his TD a few times. He's from the same car club as me and Felixx
Ned
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals