'Adventure Time' Benroy 4'6"x8'x5'H

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: 'Adventure Time' Benroy 4'6"x8'x5'H

Postby KCStudly » Sat May 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Your cabinet doors look great! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Hatch Cabinet doors

Postby Adventure Time » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:17 am

Cabinet Doors Hatch Flush.JPG
Cabinet Doors Hatch Flush.JPG (102.36 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
Well this is basically what it's going to look like with the hatch up. Definitely more functional than elegant. I still have to stain those last two doors. It's a little hard to make out but the curved piece that is the roof of the cabinets is aluminum and the faces of the doors are aluminum. I showed my lady wood panels and aluminum and she voted aluminum.
Adventure Time
Teardrop Advisor

walnut butcher block counter top wood

Postby Adventure Time » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:24 am

wood.JPG
wood.JPG (75.47 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
I got some walnut for $3 a board foot. and some Birch. That will soon be the counter top around the sink butcher block style.
Adventure Time
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:34 am

I like the aluminum door panels. :thumbsup:

Just curious, what are the wheeled dolly things shown to the right of the nice wood? Some sort of garbage can hand truck? Lawn tractor attachment?
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Adventure Time » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:42 am

rr.JPG
rr.JPG (93.51 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
KCStudly wrote:I like the aluminum door panels. :thumbsup:

Just curious, what are the wheeled dolly things shown to the right of the nice wood? Some sort of garbage can hand truck? Lawn tractor attachment?

Those are the base of the frames to Runrockets. It's a resistance running machine that football combine training centers and sports teams use. I invented that a few years back. The olympian Michael Johnson saw it and sponsored me for free! HE is an awesome guy. They are the best (but most expensive) resistance trainer in the world. Which wasn't too hard because the next best thing is dragging a sled on the ground. I have them built in Taiwan. Those were some used demo units that I had repowder coated for my Crossfit gym here in San Antonio.
I have those all over the eastern half of the US. Last year I sent 100 to the UK for rugby teams. I don't have too many in California, maybe 3 or 4. Which is where my teardrop comes in. My wife and I and going to vacation out west and attend coaches shows and visit sports teams and travel.
Adventure Time
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:21 pm

Cool. Thanks for the explanation. I figured it was something purpose built. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Adventure Time » Wed May 11, 2016 12:00 am

IMG_0410 (1).JPG
IMG_0410 (1).JPG (99.42 KiB) Viewed 1150 times

Soo, I put some offroad tires on this little teardrop. It made it 6 hours to Big Bend Texas. Then on a washboard road on the way to our first night camping, one of the wheels flew off. The axle broke! Yes the only used part (the axle) failed.
Adventure Time
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Adventure Time » Wed May 11, 2016 12:26 am

IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG (111.49 KiB) Viewed 1137 times

I had to leave the trailer there in the towtruck driver's mom's front yard for a month. Very nice of them to offer. I ordered a custom axle from dexter. I went out on mother's day and bolted it on behind the broke one.
This axle is a dexter 5000 lb. axle with the torsion rubber cut back to 2,500 lbs. The wheels are 6 on 5-1/2". I can use the spare off of my FJ cruiser and not have to carry one for the trailer, which does absolutely no good if the wheel flys off!
To explain what happened so someone else may avoid this calamity...I had a 2,500 lb axle that was really old. The shafts were 1". I bought 5 lug on 4.5" hubs. And I bought 5 lug 4.5" adapters to 6 lug on 5.5". They were 2" thick. This allowed me to put FJ cruiser sized wheels on such a small spindle axle. When I first put them on I saw that the axle was bent because the tires leaned in at the top, just a bit. I thought this was no big deal. Apparently the axle was already overloaded and damaged a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away. The point is, I had no idea what that axle had been through before I welded it on and took off across the state.
The spacers also torqued those 1" shafts.
DEXTER AXLE is a well ran company. I ordered a custom axle on Monday. It was shipped on Tuesday and I got it on Friday! My only complaint was I had to paint it myself. I wanted to powder coat it but it has rubber in it and can't be heated.
I now have the axle set toward the rear (where everyone else's axle is). It has tires that are 31" tall. It rides great. It is set up to be off-road capable. It follows mt FJ over some rough terrain. I hope the axle is OK with this.
Adventure Time
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hartk1213 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:29 am

Thats terrible man I'm sorry

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk
hartk1213
Teardrop Master

Postby Adventure Time » Wed May 11, 2016 12:31 am

IMG_1982.JPG
IMG_1982.JPG (105.34 KiB) Viewed 1131 times

This is what it looked like before the wheel broke off. Now the wheels are set further back. I'll get a picture soon.
Adventure Time
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Captain Monkeyshines » Wed May 11, 2016 6:03 am

Adventure Time wrote:
IMG_0410 (1).JPG

Soo, I put some offroad tires on this little teardrop. It made it 6 hours to Big Bend Texas. Then on a washboard road on the way to our first night camping, one of the wheels flew off. The axle broke! Yes the only used part (the axle) failed.

So. ..... The Adventure Time teardrop decided to live up to its name and provide some actual adventure! Glad nothing else was damaged and no one got hurt.
“When You're Alone”
When you're in the kitchen, you've got to behave
You don't put metal in the microwave
The knobs on the stove are “hands off” no doubt
And when you make toast, don't use a knife to fish it out!
When you're alone, when you're alone
You got to stay safe when you're home all alone.
When you're alone, when you're home all alone
You got to make sure not to die, or choke or burn the house down.
Captain Monkeyshines
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Adventure Time » Thu May 12, 2016 1:05 am

The day we were leaving my wife was pulling the wheelie cooler to the trailer and one of the wheels fell off.
I thought it was a bad sign. I immediately thought of when God made the wheels fall off of the Egyptians chariots to slow them down.
Then the wheel fell off of the teardrop when we got there.
Then when I pulled the trailer off the road to get it out of the way. A rock or cactus punctured a tire on the FJ.
Then walking up the stairs of the hotel that night I slipped and skinned my shin to the bone.
Anyway I'd rather the hand of the Lord be on me in a hard way than not at all.

I just picked up a honda 2000 generator today. I have four 7 gallon water cans. I plan on camping off the grid. Prepper style! I just need hot water and I'll have all the glamping comforts we want.
Adventure Time
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Build Journals