The Astroliner

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Astroliner

Postby twisted lines » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:10 pm

I measured and drew my Insulation a little more carefully today after seeing your lay out :thumbsup:
I too worked with metal & boats; Hobbies were skinny water boats, Not mostly in the air riding on a prop though.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:21 pm

twisted lines wrote:I measured and drew my Insulation a little more carefully today after seeing your lay out
I too worked with metal & boats; Hobbies were skinny water boats, Not mostly in the air riding on a prop though.
Alright! Glad I could help!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:53 pm

Things just don't seem to go quite as quickly as they did in the pre-cancer days. But, glad I can still do it at all. Nine doors and drawers Lacquered front and back, re-sanded then two full coats of Imron Elite Polyurethane. I'll give it a couple days to gas out, then sand and buff. Hopefully all goes well and I'll have a true "piano finish" for the last of my woodworking.

Happy Building...

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:49 pm

Gorgeous.

Why did you lacquer before the poly?

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:48 am

tony.latham wrote:Gorgeous.

Tony

Good question Tony. There's a couple reasons I do it. First, the Imron is an automotive clear. The final finish is flawless, but, it needs a sealer over the wood to get it that way. Without it, the clear tends to swell the grain. It's also crystal clear. The Lacquer does an excellent job of sealing it first, dries rapidly so it can be sanded quickly between coats and it adds the perfect amount of Amber to the Birch. There are probably other ways to achieve this, but it's what works for me.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:37 am

Atomic77 wrote:

Tony

Good question Tony. There's a couple reasons I do it. First, the Imron is an automotive clear. The final finish is flawless, but, it needs a sealer over the wood to get it that way. Without it, the clear tends to swell the grain. It's also crystal clear. The Lacquer does an excellent job of sealing it first, dries rapidly so it can be sanded quickly between coats and it adds the perfect amount of Amber to the Birch. There are probably other ways to achieve this, but it's what works for me.

Thanks for the explanation. As usual, superb work.

T

tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:47 am

tony.latham wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:

Tony

Thanks for the explanation. As usual, superb work.

T

Thank you Tony, much appreciated

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:48 am

If it's worth having, it's worth working for. Hours of sanding and buffing to get depth like this. I almost have all the finish work completed.

Last edited by Atomic77 on Fri May 03, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Fri May 03, 2019 11:45 am

My goodness Michael that is an amazing high gloss finish.
Superb.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:06 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:My goodness Michael that is an amazing high gloss finish.
Superb.
Thank you for appreciating it!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby retep » Fri May 03, 2019 4:04 pm

Atomic77 wrote:If it's worth having, it's worth working for. Hours of sanding and buffing to get depth like this. I almost have all the finish work completed.

I am at a loss for words. That is a beautiful finish. You just set the bar up a few notches!!! :thumbsup:
retep
Teardrop Master

Postby Atomic77 » Fri May 03, 2019 4:12 pm

retep wrote:
I am at a loss for words. That is a beautiful finish. You just set the bar up a few notches!!!

Thank you. I've improved as I've gone along. Im really not a woodworker.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:38 pm

Atomic77 wrote: Actually my plan is to run it [the diesel heater] on kerosene.

Atomic,

I bought the same Chinese Diesel Heater as yours and bench tested it yesterday ... works great! I am still learning the ins and outs about this unit.

I ran it on kerosene fuel.

I read where the piston in the fuel pump is lubricated by the oils contained in the diesel fuel. However, my understanding is that kerosene does not provide as much lubrication as diesel fuel. In the diesel truck area, I read where some guys routinely blend kerosene with diesel fuel, but not in excess of 25% kerosene so as to avoid damage to the fuel pump caused by inadequate lubrication.

In your research, did you ever read or hear anything about kerosene causing premature pump failure in these diesel heaters due to inadequte lubrication of the piston?

PS: love your work!
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:20 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:Atomic77 wrote: Actually my plan is to run it [the diesel heater] on kerosene.

Atomic,

I bought the same Chinese Diesel Heater as yours and bench tested it yesterday ... works great! I am still learning the ins and outs about this unit.

I read where the piston in the fuel pump is lubricated by the oils contained in the diesel fuel. However, my understanding is that kerosene does not provide as much lubrication as diesel fuel. In the diesel truck area, I read where some guys routinely blend kerosene with diesel fuel, but not in excess of 25% kerosene so as to avoid damage to the fuel pump caused by inadequate lubrication.

In your research, did you ever read or hear anything about kerosene causing premature pump failure in these diesel heaters due to inadequte lubrication of the piston?

Thank you. I have heard arguements for both. What I know for a fact is there are people (like myself) running nothing but Kero with no problems at all. Hours and hours of trouble free use. What you will gain from running good quality Kero will far outweigh a $15 pump. My suggestion is, never run the pump 'dry' and if you are concerned, buy a spare and keep it for a rainy day. They are cheap enough. I prefer to have a soot free burner. I just wish the darn pumps weren't so loud.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:49 am

Atomic77 wrote:
featherliteCT1 wrote:Atomic77 wrote: Actually my plan is to run it [the diesel heater] on kerosene.

Atomic,

Thank you. I have heard arguements for both. What I know for a fact is there are people (like myself) running nothing but Kero with no problems at all. Hours and hours of trouble free use. What you will gain from running good quality Kero will far outweigh a $15 pump. My suggestion is, never run the pump 'dry' and if you are concerned, buy a spare and keep it for a rainy day. They are cheap enough. I prefer to have a soot free burner. I just wish the darn pumps weren't so loud.

Thank you. I did not realize that the pumps are so affordable ... I now see that there are several vendors online selling these fuel pumps for around $15, like you said. A while back, I read someone complaining online about how expensive the fuel pumps were; however, I never checked it out until now. Thanks again for being my guinea pig respecting these great units!
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals