The Astroliner

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Astroliner

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Micheal,

Nice work. One step at a time and you will get to the end.
Keep it up....... :thumbsup: :D
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:39 pm

KCStudly wrote:Fabulous work! Doesn't matter how long it takes as long as you enjoy doing it. :thumbsup:

Couldn't have said it better. The Astroliner keeps getting better with each step!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby razorback » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Your design skills, your fit and finish, your attention to details; All add up to a masterpiece in the making. Thank you for sharing. Macy and I will keep you in our prayers for a speedy recovery.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Atomic77 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:14 am

Wolfgang92025 wrote:Micheal,

Nice work. One step at a time and you will get to the end.
Keep it up....... :thumbsup: :D

Thank you... just one foot in front of the other. :thumbsup:
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:16 am

aggie79 wrote:Couldn't have said it better. The Astroliner keeps getting better with each step!

Thank you... Much appreciated!
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:17 am

razorback wrote:Your design skills, your fit and finish, your attention to details; All add up to a masterpiece in the making. Thank you for sharing. Macy and I will keep you in our prayers for a speedy recovery.
Larry

Thank you for your kind comments...but thank you especially for your prayers!
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:49 am

Hi Michael, I have been having a catch up on your build and things are coming together really well. :thumbsup:
It's quite a coincidence that I should be reading this today, as I have finally got the undercoat on my old work truck that I am getting ready to sell. It's not as high and wide as the Astroliner but the roof is a real sod to do. It's a Nissan Atlas double cab, the roof is only 5'6" wide and 7'6" from the ground but it has stiffening ribs about 3ins apart running the length of the roof, which means I have to shoot paint almost the full width of the roof to get paint on both sides of the ribs. :?
When I started reading about how you could tackle your roof, the first thing that came to mind to be able to get all over it in one flow would be (as I found Pete suggested as well) would be to some how to get it on its side. :thinking: But that wouldn't be an easy task. :roll: And I would hate to see it fall on its side and damage anything :cry: To do it upright you would just about need someone on each side spraying simultaneously.
Keep up the good work, at this rate you will be camping before too long :) :vroom:
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:55 pm

Sheddie wrote:Hi Michael, I have been having a catch up on your build and things are coming together really well...

Thank you Frank... I see you grasp the concept with your own project. I agree, the best way to paint it would be on it's side. Logistically, that just won't happen. There's nothing to hook to that wouldn't be in the way somehow. I pondered that idea for awhile, and knowing how to flip a Hydro... I came to the conclusion there just isn't a safe way that will guarantee there would be no damage. So I gave that one up.

I am convinced at this point I either need scaffolding and two painters, or two Genie Lifts and two painters. Finding someone I trust to do the job is going to be tough...
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:08 pm

Atomic77 wrote:I am convinced at this point I either need scaffolding and two painters, or two Genie Lifts and two painters. Finding someone I trust to do the job is going to be tough...

Yes, I can understand your thoughts about finding a spray buddy.
As far as rolling it on to its side. Have you seen the jigs that get used for under body repairs on car restorations. I have seen them in english classic car magazines. Not the rotisserie type, instead they have a curved frame that you attach to the wheel hubs. Ideally the arms would extend far enough up the sides to stop it rolling right over, and have stops so that it wont roll back. I googled "car restoration rollover jig" . Go on to images you will see all sorts of ideas, some made of steel, some made from wood.
BASIC.jpg
BASIC.jpg (35.53 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:28 pm

I made a little sawdust this week. It was nice to work on something other than the bathroom for a change! Again, almost every cut I made was on a curve or an angle! I don't know why we had to make it so difficult! Anyway, I started out by making a cardboard template.

Then when I got it just right, I transferred it to the birch to cut out.

Then a cardboard template for the opening.

I cut some attachment cleats, then glued them together to make a frame to attach the cabinet to.

Then we dry fit the cabinet.

And the door.

Next I built a shelf that runs over the window. This was a great excuse to use my brothers new Kreig Jig.

Now to fit the plugs.

Nap time with Carter to rest up a bit.

Now I dry fit the shelf before I take it all apart for finishing.

Eventually the shelf will get LED back lighting. Notice the new, curved blind!

That's it until next time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dales133 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:16 am

The slackers back!
Great work mate youve done stacks in recent times.
Glad to hear your feeling better bud.
Race you to that finnish line

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:39 am

Yes I'm back, where you been?! Good to hear from you mate!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Great work Michael, stylish! I am happy to see you back on your build. :thumbsup: :)
I am curious about those curved side windows with shades and net. where did you get those?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:55 pm

OP827 wrote:Great work Michael, stylish! I am happy to see you back on your build. :thumbsup: :)
I am curious about those curved side windows with shades and net. where did you get those?

Thanks Oleg! How you been my friend? The job situation working out? I wonder about you from time to time. Glad to see you here! I got the blinds from the Teardrop Shop. But from what I see they no longer carry them. I've tried to find them online but it's almost like they no longer exist. I think I was lucky to get mine while I could. Doing any work on your build or has it come to a halt during the job changes?
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:57 pm

Hi Michael, I am also often thinking of you, how you've been doing. I started a contract work in Ontario, it's been over three months now. I did not work on the trailer since it is 3.5 hour flight away from me now, but not for very long. I found a guy via uship dot com who will move it for me on a 40ft platform trailer along with my pathfinder. So I hope to get back working on it sometime in September. I got a new place, a house, it is smaller, only one car garage, but I hope to find a shop or build something in my back yard. So will be posting. Moving my family and stuff from Edmonton Alberta to Saugeen Shores Ontario in September. Since all of large paneling work is now done, I might get away with one car garage to work mostly inside now, or I just pull it outside. I have a small workshop space in the basement where I might cut and glue smaller items and stuff to finish interior. Good to see you out there my friend! I do not think we are too far from each other now, may be a day drive max?
OP827
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals