The Astroliner

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Astroliner

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:43 pm

It's super quiet. Except for the fuel pump. From what I hear, all the brands are the same. It's a constant tick, tick, tick. Still working on that. But the unit itself is more quiet than a regular fan.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:32 pm

Atomic77 wrote:It's super quiet. Except for the fuel pump. From what I hear, all the brands are the same. It's a constant tick, tick, tick. Still working on that. But the unit itself is more quiet than a regular fan.

Well I plan to run mine outside of my cabin so might be good even with the ticking of the pump. I also kind of dropped the galley a/c Idea and will likely hack a 5000 unit this way viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44561
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:49 pm

GeekFisher wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:It's super quiet. Except for the fuel pump. From what I hear, all the brands are the same. It's a constant tick, tick, tick. Still working on that. But the unit itself is more quiet than a regular fan.

Well I plan to run mine outside of my cabin so might be good even with the ticking of the pump. I also kind of dropped the galley a/c Idea and will likely hack a 5000 unit this way viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44561
Run the unit outside the cabin, or the fuel pump, or both? The fuel pump is fine to run outside because its sealed. But nothing else unless it is an Eberspatcher, Webasto or Planar. The one I have is great, stowed in an inside compartment. But outside is not good because the brains of the unit (electronics) are not up to the task. The name brand electronics are sealed in epoxy of some sort. These are not.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:09 pm

Michael:

I watched your video and would have bet a million your install was clean as a new windshield. I wasn't wrong.

:thumbsup: :beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:13 pm

I saw a video where a guy suspended his fuel pump off a 2 inch piece of rubber strip so that the pump was not transmitting sound through any solid mounting surfaces. Afterwards, the pump could hardly be heard.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:20 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:I saw a video where a guy suspended his fuel pump off a 2 inch piece of rubber strip so that the pump was not transmitting sound through any solid mounting surfaces. Afterwards, the pump could hardly be heard.
Yes. I saw the same video. From reading a whole bunch of forum posts about it, this works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Apparently all pumps are not created equal. They can be replaced for around $15-20, so I thought I might try one of the name brand pumps. I quickly changed my mind as the cheapest one was around $180 and as high as $300. One of the issues for me is, going down the road, bouncing around like a 4.9 on the Richter Scale... I prefer it to be securely mounted.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:22 pm

tony.latham wrote:Michael:

I watched your video and would have bet a million your install was clean as a new windshield. I wasn't wrong.

Tony
Hey, thanks Tony. Much appreciated! I'm still not done, trying to get all the upholstery finished so I can run wires for the controller. I was concerned about buying the cheaper unit, but now I know I am happy with the concept, so swapping in a Webasto or some such other will be very simple. But for now, she purrs like a kitten and I recently spent two nights in freezing temps and slept comfortably with nothing more than a sheet. It's a big difference from the ceramic heater - there are no cold spots, it is a very even heat and it's nice and dry. It seems to like the Kero so I'll stick with that when possible.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:42 pm

Nice work as always Michael and the unit seems to be very quiet comparing to any other vented heater type on the market. That ticking noise is probably the same level as a wall clock, so it would not keep you awake at night at all I feel. I could not hear anything in your video. I was not aware of this technology when I did my camper heater. I like how you can install it almost anywhere. It moves the air inside, very small and silent. This is a clear winner. When I do my next build, this kind of heater will be on my short list. Maybe we will soon see an affordable cook top forced air vented stoves on diesel too. Would be nice to delete a propane tank. Thanks for sharing your experience here.
:thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:29 pm

Thanks Oleg, much appreciated. I'm only sad that winter is gone now so I can't use my heater

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:52 pm

OP827 wrote:Maybe we will soon see an affordable cook top forced air vented stoves on diesel too.

You can get all of the above except for the affordable part.
Wallas DT85
I can't find a price for one on-line so I'm sure the price will knock your socks off.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:50 pm

bdosborn wrote:
OP827 wrote:Maybe we will soon see an affordable cook top forced air vented stoves on diesel too.

Wallas DT85
I can't find a price for one on-line so I'm sure the price will knock your socks off.
Bruce

https://wallas.ca/product/85xc/ - there is a price in Canadian dollars, install kit is not included.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:18 pm

Atomic77 wrote:Thanks Oleg, much appreciated. I'm only sad that winter is gone now so I can't use my heater

You park the thing by a pond, no? Just crank that heater up and you have a therapeutic sauna! Of course, the Scandihoovians advise that the only correct way to go about it is ...nekkid.
:lol:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:23 pm

OP827 wrote:
bdosborn wrote:

Wallas DT85
Bruce

https://wallas.ca/product/85xc/ - there is a price in Canadian dollars, install kit is not included.

WOW! That is a nifty product! Much of their stuff must be gold plated. The price list includes a set of oven mitts for the bargain price of ...$155. $> You DO get two pair though! :woohoo:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:04 pm

2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:50 pm

bdosborn wrote:Image

Michael

The Astroliner