Lifting roof XPStream - Almost Finished!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Foldable foamie hybrid trailer - XPStream

Postby Atomic77 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:01 pm

OP827 wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:Glad it went better for you. Les of money and chemists came up with the formula for a reason. Lol. Mix it exactly according to the instructions. Probably 4•1•1. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes, that is what I did and the high build surfacer/primer was laying down wet and smooth. What grit to use on final primer before base coat, 600?
No. Nothing finer than 400. 320 is even fine for basecoat

Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:08 pm

Atomic77 wrote:
OP827 wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:Glad it went better for you. Les of money and chemists came up with the formula for a reason. Lol. Mix it exactly according to the instructions. Probably 4•1•1. Good luck!

Yes, that is what I did and the high build surfacer/primer was laying down wet and smooth. What grit to use on final primer before base coat, 600?
No. Nothing finer than 400. 320 is even fine for basecoat

Great, thanks Michael.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:06 pm

Only small progress this weekend. Getting ready for priming the main body and roof. Made a make shift shelter from sun and maybe rain to do priming of the roof in our backyard. I ordered an instant 10'x20' canopy, but this shelter if it survives the winds here has more space, so i may not use the canopy in the end. All small parts are fine sanded and ready for base coat. Made screw plugs for lights out of drywall nylon anchors glued with PLP in foam, they hold pretty good. A local bunny came around to check my work.
That is all for now. Cheers.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:55 am

Looks great in primer. How did the spraying work out? The main thing, like filler, is that you get enough on. When I spray primer I'll start with a medium cover coat, where I make sure I've hit all the edges. Then I'll do another, this time going a bit slower and heavier. Let that flash, then a third. Let flash and my fourth will be the heaviest yet. Sit over night, guide coat and sand. If I've done it right I shouldn't have to recoat. Looking good my friend!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:16 am

Primer spraying went good this time with reducer. After sanding I had a few tiny spots on side walls come up that I covered with very light coat from a spray can primer. I am getting roof off the trailer soon and would do it inside and out with primer and maybe even base myself since it should be easier to handle separately from main body. I am thinking of priming and fine sanding everything myself and have body shop to do base and clear. Thank you for all your help by giving me right advise on coatings, Michael. Appreciate it, my friend.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:24 am

OP827 wrote:Primer spraying went good this time with reducer. After sanding I had a few tiny spots on side walls come up that I covered with very light coat from a spray can primer. I am getting roof off the trailer soon and would do it inside and out with primer and maybe even base myself since it should be easier to handle separately from main body. I am thinking of priming and fine sanding everything myself and have body shop to do base and clear. Thank you for all your help by giving me right advise on coatings, Michael. Appreciate it, my friend.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Anytime

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Roof is now covered in 2k primer, I used about 1.5 gallons of primer plus catalyst and reducer for 3 good coats. It went generally good and fast, but was difficult to lay down a continuous wet coat due to large surface. I believe the dry spots are mostly from overspray and will disappear once I cut it with some fine sanding. Now I am thinking of base and clear coating the roof while it is still there if weather is nice. There is practically no dust during the day this time of year :thinking:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Philip » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:25 am

Your getting there.

:applause:
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:43 am

Don't worry too much about the smoothness of the primer. Just get enough on that's the point. There will be lots of sanding and those dry spots won't be an issue for long. Make sure to use a guide coat of black primer so you know where you're at. Cut it dry then finish wet on final pass to finish it out and kill the sanding dust. If it was mine I wouldn't worry to much about dust in the clear because I would cut and buff it anyway. I would be more worried about bugs. Looking good Brotherman!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:07 pm

Atomic77 wrote:Don't worry too much about the smoothness of the primer. Just get enough on that's the point. There will be lots of sanding and those dry spots won't be an issue for long. Make sure to use a guide coat of black primer so you know where you're at. Cut it dry then finish wet on final pass to finish it out and kill the sanding dust. If it was mine I wouldn't worry to much about dust in the clear because I would cut and buff it anyway. I would be more worried about bugs. Looking good Brotherman!

Yes you are right Michael, the bugs are now everywhere, from large to tiny. I have another question, again. Is it a good idea to do a base coat myself on all parts and several days or so later do a clear coat in a body shop? I am just trying to save some cash by doing as much as possible myself, body shop work is very expensive. I do not think I want to do clear coat myself in the environment I have, it has a higher chance to fail, except I am going to do it on flat panels like side walls though. The body shop that I am talking to about coating my trailer said they'll use their own materials, but if I already have Ful-base Nason' base coat done, will that be compatible with possibly other brands clear coats that the body shop will use?
Obviously I need to ask that body shop what system they use I guess... :thinking:

BTW, Roof is sanded andI primed the whole main body exterior yesterday and it looks nice. Did not take any pictures yet, sorry. Plan to sand next week.
Last edited by OP827 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:11 pm

Well technically you aren't supposed to mix the different brands but it's not like I have never seen that accomplished. If you are going to spray the base yourself and you are going to spray clear on your panels, just practice up and spray it yourself. Save the money. That's the beauty of base coat clear coat. If you get a few runs or whatever you sand it and buff it and go on. Same thing with the bugs. You have to spray it at the right time of day to not have bugs. You have a 24 hour window from the time base is sprayed until you have to clear it. Or it needs to be sanded which I never do. Just do-it-yourself my friend. By the time you get your panels finished you will be confident enough to get it done.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:22 pm

Atomic77 wrote:Well technically you aren't supposed to mix the different brands but it's not like I have never seen that accomplished. If you are going to spray the base yourself and you are going to spray clear on your panels, just practice up and spray it yourself. Save the money. That's the beauty of base coat clear coat. If you get a few runs or whatever you sand it and buff it and go on. Same thing with the bugs. You have to spray it at the right time of day to not have bugs. You have a 24 hour window from the time base is sprayed until you have to clear it. Or it needs to be sanded which I never do. Just do-it-yourself my friend. By the time you get your panels finished you will be confident enough to get it done.

I feel confident about small panels like walls and doors. The difficult part will be the roof as it is 80"+ wide and ~15ft long. I can tilt it up or try to cover it flat. What would you do such roof part?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:25 pm

It was tough on mine. 9' tall and 7.5' wide. I did it off of laders

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:29 pm

Atomic77 wrote:It was tough on mine. 9' tall and 7.5' wide. I did it off of laders

Your paint job was obviously much more challenging. My roof is only 2-3 feet high and not as wide as yours. Did you put ladders over the roof to have support and to reach the middle, how did you sequence the spraying to help with wet edge, or you just put down enough material and then cut and buff?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:31 pm

OP827 wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:It was tough on mine. 9' tall and 7.5' wide. I did it off of laders

Your paint job was obviously much more challenging. My roof is only 2-3 feet high and not as wide as yours. Did you put ladders over the roof to have support and to reach the middle, how did you sequence the spraying to help with wet edge, or you just put down enough material and then cut and buff?
I basically sprayed to the center nice and wet and then went around to the other side to pick it back up. Then I sanded and buffed it. Yours will be much easier. I also adjusted the fan on the gun to a straighter spray in order to reach. Once you get to laying it down you'll see what I mean.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals