Lifting roof XPStream - Almost Finished!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Foldable foamie hybrid trailer - XPStream

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:37 am

I think your plan is really coming together for the windows! But I do have a question. Why acrylic? Easy to source? Ability to cut it yourself? Here's why I ask. I'm working on an art piece. All along my plan has been to make it from acrylic. I liked the idea that I could cut it on the bandsaw. I was at a friend's shop a few weeks ago. I was telling him my plan. And he questioned me on acrylic. I asked why, what's the problem with acrylic? And he said, you'll love it at first but you will become disappointed over time. Then he showed me a couple of acrylic windows he had made for his Scotty camper rebuild. Both of them had become dull looking and even slightly foggy. He was in the process of removing the acrylic and replacing it with glass. So, that got me thinking and I have since changed my plan and had a piece of glass cut for my project. Something to think about I suppose.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:49 am

It is a compromise due to specifics of foldable design. Main reason for acrylic is lower weight than glass. The folding walls inside are not supported at full length when folded, so glass windows would create higher stress and wear in transport mode. Another reason is the windows will only see the weather element when camping. They are inside except one in the back all the time in storage and transport mode. Third reason they are made easily removable. When they fog, I can either change them or buff. But again the main consideration is weight, same as in light airplanes. They use acrylic a lot.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:58 am

OP827 wrote:It is a compromise due to specifics of foldable design. Main reason for acrylic is lower weight than glass. The folding walls inside are not supported at full length when folded, so glass windows would create higher stress and wear in transport mode. Another reason is the windows will only see the weather element when camping. They are inside except one in the back all the time in storage and transport mode. Third reason they are made easily removable. When they fog, I can either change them or buff. But again the main consideration is weight, same as in light airplanes. They use acrylic a lot.
Sounds reasonable! Although I've rarely been in an airplane I could see clearly out of. Lol

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:03 am

You are right about airplane windows. I do not want to sit inside the camper when there is a nice picture outside, I want us to be out there in that nice picture. LOL. During rain any window will look similar

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:23 am

OP827 wrote:You are right about airplane windows. I do not want to sit inside the camper when there is a nice picture outside, I want us to be out there in that nice picture. LOL. During rain any window will look similar

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Very true my friend

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:08 pm

Another weekend started and some progress made and more pictures.
Cleaning black sealant residue from acrylic was time consuming, but I had to make it work to reuse the panels.

Now I have many slim wooden frames left with no use for them... May be used for canvas and pictures in the future, who knows...

Next I cut lots of acrylic strips and pieces and assembled them with Weldon 3 cement glue for acrylic into these window panels, lots of them..

While I had breaks waiting for cement in acrylic to dry, I installed drip edges on both side walls with thickened epoxy. This is how they look installed, sanded and ready for priming that I hope to do tomorrow:

One of smaller opening windows dry fit, I like how acrylic window is tinted and still transparent, making the frame almost invisible, Now I need to install hinges, I ordered telescoping window stays and possibly will make quarter turn locks myself :roll: , still thinking of design... again.

Then I ventured into my first time spraying of 2K polyurethane primer. The equipment setup and chemicals are new to me. I started with smaller parts like access doors and entry door halves. Got pinholes on the door due to starved epoxy in fibre glass that I missed when glassing due to lack of experience. I'll fill the areas with glazing putty and re-prime tomorrow.

Happy building :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:18 pm

Looks like you have a good handle on things! Your work is always impeccable. Fine craftsmanship to be proud of for sure!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:12 pm

Atomic77 wrote:Looks like you have a good handle on things! Your work is always impeccable. Fine craftsmanship to be proud of for sure!

Thanks Michael. I did not have primer reducer at hand which caused issues with spraying. I thought that adding a lacquer thinner was not a good idea for 2K primer. Spray gun has 1.8mm nozzle. When spraying the primer was coming out with some "pulse" and somewhat dry. Pressure was about 20-25psi at the gun, fully open for material. Adding or reducing the air pressure had no positive effect. When spraying low viscosity thinner the pattern is wide open and consistent, but with high viscosity primer it was not working as intended, lesson learned. Just did not lay down as I wanted, but nothing that some sanding cannot fix. This high build primer sands easily.

I am thinking that this paint spraying business is probably not the best idea in a residential neighbourhood because it has noticeable VOC smell that propagates along the block. I do not have a plan B yet, but I am thinking to find a place somewhere away from residential area to do this kind of work... :roll:

Cheers.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:18 pm

It's surprising how far a little reducer will go. Should be about 4•1•1

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:45 pm

Atomic77 wrote:It's surprising how far a little reducer will go. Should be about 4•1•1

Yes, I should have used the reducer and yes, it is 4:1:1.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:10 pm

Get a can of black primer. I use this:

Hold the can back from your primed piece and dust on short bursts, like black speckles on your grey primer if you will. This is called a "guide coat." Sand until all the speckles are gone. If there are any spots that won't sand out without breaking through the primer, you know you have a divot, low spot or pinhole.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jimbo69ny » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:45 pm

This is such a coincidence. I am currently sanding and filling the fiberglass on my foamie too. I just had a meeting with the guy who will be spraying it and he told me the exact same thing about the paint. Only about 2 hours ago, now I read this. Funny.
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:46 pm

jimbo69ny wrote:This is such a coincidence. I am currently sanding and filling the fiberglass on my foamie too. I just had a meeting with the guy who will be spraying it and he told me the exact same thing about the paint. Only about 2 hours ago, now I read this. Funny.
Sign from the Heavens. Better listen!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:22 am

Thanks for the tip, Michael.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:46 pm

I made these windows as you can see in the pictures below. I also ordered these
window stays https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32885132206.html that I plan on fixing on the bottom of the window or maybe on the sides, will see where they fit better.

View from outside:

View from Inside:

I would like to ask you guys for help here. I could not find a lock for the window yet. Please drop me a line if you know where to find a small locking mechanism (turn latch?) that will fit onto the bottom of the frame, in the available width of ~3/4" or 18mm. I would fix it to the window and it would lock into the wall frame.

Closeup of the frame bottom:

Thanks for all your help :)
OP827
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals