Lifting roof XPStream - Almost Finished!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Foldable foamie hybrid trailer

Postby Atomic77 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:10 pm

I like your set up. Looks like you used some of the fittings that I used. Nice work Oleg.
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:05 pm

Yes Michael and thanks. My propane fridge has its own gas valve and I am adding separate valves for cooktop and furnace. I found a good vendor "mutual propane ltd" here in Edmonton, very helpful and friendly guys, have great prices and got all I needed. I just also found that some extra washer water hoses that I had around are fitting quite well over the 3/8" copper tubing as a protection, so I may use them instead of plastic split cable loom..ooh, those choices, not again..
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:01 pm

Finally I made more progress, this time on propane system.... After installation and "no bubbles" test - it is working good :) .

I used 3/8" type K copper tubing required by code for gas to run all the lines. Protected the tubing from elements outside by splitting a washer rubber hose, it is a perfect snug fit and good protection, feels much better than plastic cable split used on RVs(which I originally planned on using).

Re-used a salvaged regulator from a tent trailer, it works no problem with all three appliances on high.
I see no need for double stage regulator as yet, will see how it works, it will be easy to change if needed. Will put polyurethane rubber sealant around all penetrations, need to buy it.

Here are the pictures of the install, first are how the lines are run and then fridge flame, "Hydroflame" vintage heater flame, and finally a cook top flames:

Now I need to partially take some of the lines apart again to work on cabinets and counter top.

Cheers! :beer:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:17 am

Now that you have the Flame King going, how do you feel about it? Just curious. Regarding your system... From the point that it enters the cabin I think it looks fanatic! I see you used the same fittings that I did. I think you will be very pleased! My concern is from the tank to the cabin. Typically there is a short amount of rubber from the tank to a piece of black pipe, which runs underneath the cabin. I'm pretty sure that's standard and probably some type of code as well. So I have to admit I'm a bit concerned with the use of rubber all the way. Just my thoughts on that. Otherwise, great job! Looks awesome as usual! You do great work!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:41 pm

Atomic77 wrote:Now that you have the Flame King going, how do you feel about it? Just curious. Regarding your system... From the point that it enters the cabin I think it looks fanatic! I see you used the same fittings that I did. I think you will be very pleased! My concern is from the tank to the cabin. Typically there is a short amount of rubber from the tank to a piece of black pipe, which runs underneath the cabin. I'm pretty sure that's standard and probably some type of code as well. So I have to admit I'm a bit concerned with the use of rubber all the way. Just my thoughts on that. Otherwise, great job! Looks awesome as usual! You do great work!

Thank you for your comments Michael. There is no rubber hose all the way under the trailer. I used 3/8" type K copper tubing shielded in a snug fit armed rubber hose. Sorry I must have not explained it clearly. My 1980s donor tent trailer had all copper tubing instead of black pipe. I assumed that copper tubing is acceptable by code at least here in Canada, I do not know about US. Having said that, my other fibre glass vintage Boler trailer does have a black steel pipe for outside run.

I thought that we have already discussed this topic somewhere here on whether a copper tubing is OK for running outside the trailer and the answer was yes if the pipe is protected by a plastic split or rubber hose?

I know that others here have built with 3/8" copper for outside. I also recently found these sources on the subject:
https://www.caravansplus.com.au/catalog/help-gas-installation.php
https://www.scribd.com/doc/267729821/AS-NZS-5601-2-2013
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:30 pm

My bad, you got it handled!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:35 pm

Michael, as for FlameKing cook top, it works, nothing wrong with it, just small things to do with installation that I can deal with:

I'll have to find two longer screws to hold the chrome top - see the picture below.
The supplied screws are too short, unless there is a 1/4"+ of sealant under the enclosure box edge.

I also had some small challenges to run and connect the tubing to it. Depending on your setup you might not experience the same. It would be easy if there was access from the back, but I did not have it, because of the table top above and fridge compartment underneath. It seems that its designers had a rubber hose feed with good access from behind in mind. Installation manual clearly speaks of rubber hose feed. The feed connection located closely to the box perimeter as if there is a good access from behind the enclosure during installation to hold and feed the line. It is just my experience here.

If I do it again I'd probably buy another model from local distributor so I can check its design in person, the price difference was not big when shipping and unexpected brokerage fees were added. But that is for the future builds now. Overall is it a basic no fancy features cook top that works.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:17 pm

Time for update. Worked on kitchen cabinets and finishing dinette table.
Made one deeper drawer on full extension "blum" slides for a kitchen organizer in the middle that would have pots, dishes, cups, utensils and maybe more in one place.

Next will be working on the sofa/bed in the back.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Bluebunny » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:15 am

Hi OP!
WOW! (did i just say wow?) Your "experiment" is really shaping into quite a luxurios getaway! I love that such a roomy standie can fit into a standard garage. I recently dusted off my plans after un-retirement, but my "cot and cooler" approach isnt the half of what you'll get! Onwards!
off topic Stitch-and-Glue ply kayak build... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 254&type=3
Bluebunny
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:13 am

Bluebunny wrote:Hi OP!
WOW! (did i just say wow?) Your "experiment" is really shaping into quite a luxurios getaway! I love that such a roomy standie can fit into a standard garage. I recently dusted off my plans after un-retirement, but my "cot and cooler" approach isnt the half of what you'll get! Onwards!

Hi Bluebunny, many thanks for support and checking in again!
I also did not expect this "experiment" turning this way. Wanted to finish the build faster, but my head keeps giving me "design options". :designing:
Have to stop thinking and press on building :lol:
You are right about the size. It feels spacious inside when the roof is up. The light roof slope towards back creates a visual illusion inside making the trailer appear roomier. Once I finish the back sofa/bed platform, I'll do some pictures to show what I mean.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Looking fantastic mate, those cabinets look great.
Hose over copper is reguly used her too man.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby OP827 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:45 pm

dales133 wrote:Looking fantastic mate, those cabinets look great.
Hose over copper is reguly used her too man.

Thank you very much! :)
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:05 pm

I am going to use ikea slatted bed base and make it expandable similar to this idea, but not the same as my materials and setup is different.

Now, what is the best way to precisely cut a foam mattress, anyone knows?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:36 pm

It's looking great! :thumbsup:

Use an electric carving knife to cut your mattress foam.

Keep up the good work! We want to see pictures and stories of you camping this summer!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby OP827 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:45 pm

S. Heisley wrote:It's looking great! :thumbsup:

Use an electric carving knife to cut your mattress foam.

Keep up the good work! We want to see pictures and stories of you camping this summer!

Hi Sharon, thanks !
There is still a lot to do, but I am hopeful towards this season.. :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals