Lifting roof XPStream - Almost Finished!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Foldable foamie hybrid trailer

Postby OP827 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:00 pm

Thanks, Bluebunny. Achieving light weight is possible. I am a believer.
Little report for the progress made to date. The roof panel is now installed, roof edge trimmed, sanded flat and now is being put with a small radius for glassing the edge reinforcement strips.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:06 pm

:o Ohhh....I can hardly wait to see this baby finished! ;)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby OP827 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:09 am

S. Heisley wrote::o Ohhh....I can hardly wait to see this baby finished! ;)

Thanks Sharon...me too ;)
OP827
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:54 am

Very nice mate
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby ScottE » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:55 am

Your workmanship is impressive and this rig is going to look great! :thumbsup: :beer:
Anything is possible, if you don't know it can't be done!
ScottE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby OP827 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:26 pm

ScottE wrote:Your workmanship is impressive and this rig is going to look great! :thumbsup: :beer:

Thanks guys!

My appology to the build followers for having not posted for a long time, but that does not mean that there was no progress.
She starts to look as a trailer, the shape and design were aimed to aerodynamics and folding functionality.

The trailer outer structure is close to be done. Here are pictures from a few months ago, you can see the trailer size in comparison to a TV.

I am now slowed down, thinking about maximum usage of the floor space inside, I know it sounds silly at this stage... Playing with 3D modeling in sketchup for all the interior details before I go any further.
Last edited by OP827 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Bluebunny » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:00 am

OP827 wrote:I am now slowed down, thinking about maximum usage of the floor space inside, I know it sounds silly at this stage... Playing with 3D modeling in sketchup for all the interior details before I go any further.

SMART! As musicians say, "the slower that you go, the sooner that you get there"...

Be sure to research what commercial small standies use as layouts; they have "general appeal and practicality". Also look into tiny house builder tricks? In any event, build light, and build strong!

REEally looking good OP!
off topic Stitch-and-Glue ply kayak build... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 254&type=3
Bluebunny
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:38 pm

Thanks for compliments Bluebunny!
I am trying to find some inspiration by looking at small floorplans by many various manufacturers from unknown to very known like Hilo, Trailmanor, Airstream, Knaus Travelino, Kimberley Caravan. I would call my current state now as "analysis paralysis" as I spent so much time researching the best use of travel trailer floor space. I must say that Knau Travelino iis one of that I got some inspiration from. I have this challenge of wanting the foldable rigid wall bathroom with a porta-potty and small wash sink,.. and possible some shower inside and still have 4 people to sleep in approx. 14 ft long trailer... I must say that I am not sure now if I will ever find a good solution. There is always some compromise to deal with when there is just not enough space, but who knows, maybe I'll find it one day. I tried and still do not feel completely happy about any of the options.

Some new to me features that were possibly already mentioned here and I want to implement in this build after my travel experience with our smallish Boler travel trailer we already have.

1. Water. I want to have all the tanks be portable and removable from the trailer. Why you would ask? Because when I stayed at one spot more than two days, I had to go to dumping station to empty my waste water tanks and fill my fresh water tank. Now, if I had them removable, I would just put them in my car or on some wheels and dispose waste water in toilets and refill fresh water from a tap. All that without un-hooking up, towing, and setting up and hooking up the trailer again type of unpleasant activity. Another advantage of portability is cleaning and I can easily check how clean the tanks are.

2. I plan on using porta potty or similar thing during the night. It is the same reason as the points above for going to dumping station.

3. Shower. A portable pressurized sprayer with warm water and kitchen sink sprayer should work fine.

Research continues..
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Bluebunny » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:55 pm

OP827 wrote:. I have this challenge of wanting the foldable rigid wall bathroom with a porta-potty and small wash sink,.. and possible some shower inside and still have 4 people to sleep in approx. 14 ft long trailer... I must say that I am not sure now if I will ever find a good solution. There is always some compromise to deal with when there is just not enough space, but who knows, maybe I'll find it one day. I tried and still do not feel completely happy about any of the options...

Research continues..

I like your portable tank approach...

As to layout, good the attempt to sleep four. Also consider minimal rearrangement and ready layout function when you are by yourself (or perhaps just with wifey). If you can work the layout so everything is functional day to night without too much rearrangement, your quick escape trips will be nearly effortless and joyous...I find myself ready for adventure much more often than my crew, so regularly go alone...
off topic Stitch-and-Glue ply kayak build... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 254&type=3
Bluebunny
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:10 pm

Thanks Bluebunny. I am thinking the same way too. I've looked online at many foldable caravan interiors like Gobur, Esterel, Kimberley, Ecotourer, some vintage etc. and feel that many of them have way too much "stuff" to set up and tear down. I still think nothing is impossible and I can minimize the setup of interior and keep it fast and simple. If you come accross a foldable trailer interior that has a bathroom and the one that you think is good, please let me know. I need more inspiration.

My current challenge is basically the bathroom location, that would also affect a kitchen arangement. One option is left from door, other is across from door. I think I am not going to use front bay area for bathroom as a third option consideration, because I like (at least in this build) how we would sit at the table and be able to look into the front bay window which bottom is the same level as dinette table. Another challenge is If I make a bathroom permanent as enclosure, it may take a little too much space from the rest of the trailer. I like how Knaus Travelino 2016 model did their variable bathroom space (https://youtu.be/OC9lWTW32OA?t=94) , so I am considering the same principle of having bathroom space used inside the trailer when the bathroom is not used, but my design will have to be different due to different arrangement and size, and foldability.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Bluebunny » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:33 am

I will not be much help on layout, but consider timing. Loos are needed b4 bedtime and at night, and b4 breakfast is served, and yes while bkfst is being prepared but not when served... So dont interfere with beds or galley? Seems unsavory to interfere with dinette... maybe an emergency pottty under the bed, but outside closet with folding framed privvy seems best? Loo and shower is tough in close quarters... comporomise is difficult!
Bluebunny
Teardrop Master

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:28 am

Just getting caught back up on your build! Looking great and good progress! Keep pressing on!
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:50 pm

Atomic77 wrote:Just getting caught back up on your build! Looking great and good progress! Keep pressing on!

Thanks Michael!

So a little bit of update today.
Finally, I have decided what will be the floor layout and started to make internal panels to implement that.

This my first trailer build was a LOT of re-work for me, still I keep pressing on to achieve what I want for quality, features, and light weight.

I decided to re-fabricate many already made panels that were previously made of 6mm baltic birch plywood and shaker style panels of west birch(yellow cherry) and switch to a cleaner look of just flat panels and also make them much lighter,.. every one of those.

Those panels are being made with only 3mm thick high quality plywood and pine sticks that will be assembled to provide a common load bearing structures to complement each other bearing strengths and planes. Here are some pictures of the panels making process. I made a special table to make the panels so I can clamp them flat and also cut large pieces of plywood with circular cord or cordless saws using my homemade guides. I do not have much space and it is also cluttered, sorry for the clutter in pictures. In some cases I have decided to make ply-foam-ply sandwich for free-standing panels to make them strong and rigid.

My plan of attack towards interior structures is:
- make all panels for the interior,
- dry fit them with screws and clamps,
- disassemble and apply required finish like stain, varnish etc., leaving final assembly surfaces masked or clean,
- assemble with epoxy to the floor and walls to make the interior a part of load bearing structure.

Cheers!

OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:58 pm

Hey my friend, wondering if you made any decisions on a furnace...
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:23 pm

Yes, I found older hydro flame furnace that does not need power, it is like a wood stove, but on propane, direct vented and it can be installed inside a cabinet. I am installing that in my kitchen island next to fridge, I'll put some pictures in a few minutes.
OP827
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals