Mark's Weekender-XL build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Mark's Weekender-XL build

Postby Gold5one » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:57 pm

I went to work in KY on a school job for few weeks and visited my retired buddy over the 4th weekend in Indiana. I'm home now since the middle of the month, but working on inside hobbies in the A/C. I built a new computer-- an Intel NUC minicomputer- it's hooked up to my 40" TV on an HDMI cable- guess what? I need a 55" TV now, as the fonts are a little too small to comfortably read from my easy chair 8ft away.
I have to switch to my laptop to post a picture -
Ok, here it is , an Intel NUC5CPYH microcomputer ( about 4" square). I used a 1 terrabyte hard drive (2.5" size) and a 4gb memory chip.
The minicomputer cost $129 w/cpu- there are 2 more usb ports on the front and the sound/mic jack. This is the newest low power processor, rated at 4 to 6 watts- that explains the small size of the power supply. After I built this, I scrapped out 3 old WinXP/Vista desktops boxes and put them on the curb for the scrap recycler people. I am using Win 8.1 full retail version- $119. The advantage is that I have 5 more installs of that OS, so when the hardware gets "dated", I can build another computer and not have to buy windows again. Win10 will have mandatory upgrades and updates, which means your hardware will become obsolete faster.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Read thought your build log today.

Great going so far. There a few picture you posted I really love.

The one where it is just framed up, Great shot :) Give the idea of the scale.

The Back Porch ( cargo carrier ). Does it flip up or stays Flat. Great picture of you and your travel companion.

That one nice shinny gas tube you got there in the vise.

And if that back window screen can be removed easily that trailer would make a Nice RC glider Tow/ sleeper Thingy :) for out of the state gliding events.

Keep up the good work. Keep us posted. :thumbsup:
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gold5one » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:25 am

The cargo carrier is not hinged, but I could at a later date. The back window screen can be easily removed. A few months ago I realized I should have installed that rear window in a hinged frame that swings out and is locked inside. . My build would hold my 10ft kayak inside if I had hinged the window. I may make that modification soon, since the inside paneling is all screwed on and can be removed to get access to the wall studs.
However, right now I am waiting for knee surgery. 50 years of man's work finally brought me to the orthopedic doctor. My retired friends say it's a common scope surgery and I will be back to normal a month later.
We have a 10 acre RC park in my town-- 60x600 ft runways. I have been looking a getting a FPV Rc plane for a couple years now. I think our city RC airpark is pretty nice.
http://rseahawks.org/
For water jugs I am going to use Tropicana OJ bottles- almost 2 qts. They have a wide pour opening and they will just fit under the faucet of sink lavatory at a rest stop. I tied a rope to two of them to make a should carry.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:37 pm

My daughter, who is the artist in the family, will soon be doing the final exterior paint design.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:17 pm

Code enforcement told me to move Weekender-XL into my garage-- I was surprised it took them 9 months to ding me-- no problem, I was planning on keeping it inside anyway, that is why it's only 82" tall,, except now I have to clean out my garage! How does stuff grow? It used to fit in the garage -haha
I have slowed down on all my hobbies this year- my electronics kit building and ham radio suddenly became a chore, etc. Reading books has stopped. Well, today---I got the news.
My yearly vision ck up showed that cataracts have suddenly appeared- ugh...
I flunked the glare/contrast tests, which explains why I loathe night driving and can't see to solder small parts on a ham radio circuit board - My wife had cataract surgery in June-age 60 and I guess I am next at 65. I just now recovered from my knee surgery this summer for a torn meniscus, which is really from 40 cumulative years of hard, man's work. I was all set to take Weekender to a Hamfest near Lake Okeechobee in a few weeks and camp overnight, but now I am out of the mood, worrying about eye surgery.
I guess I can use the next 3 months to plan a great 2016 camping trip.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby bespurcell » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:09 pm

Just read the whole build. I really like your craftsmanship. :D Sorry to hear your getting bored with the build. :(
bespurcell
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gold5one » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:38 pm

Thanks--
I am hoping after eye surgery I can get back in the groove- I have some details to complete, like making the wings for the upper rear corners and a folding step. Since my knee surgery that door height is a bit too much now.
Mark
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Camping Cur » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi Mark,
Just read through your build. Good Job! I will be starting mine soon based on a Carry-On 4X7 trailer. Hope it goes as well as yours has. Keep up the good work! Also hoping your eye surgery went OK. As a former Cape-Coralite (in the old Yacht Club section of town) I had to chuckle at the visit from the Code Enforcement officers. Must keep these DIY-ers under control! :lol:

Anyway, we are the same age and now I see even better that it is not totally nutso to begin a project like this. Thanks!

Mike
Here is the link to my build pics: gallery/album.php?album_id=4178
Camping Cur
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gold5one » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Thanks-- former resident of Cape Coma- ;)
Code enforcement is a very "persona non grata" job-- There is no rhyme or reason when the enforcers will strike- just 2 blocks from me on the same BLVd is small black cargo trailer in the front yard angled behind a small tree-- that trailer has been left alone. I managed to get my Weekender in the garage yesterday and my boat and trailer moved to the backyard- with one day to spare. I'm one of the lucky ones-- I planned ahead and can fit it in the garage- others will be forced to find a pay storage commercial lot of $30/mo or more. My neighbor had to move his 18ft travel trailer to a pay lot 15 miles away- $35/mo.
I think new house construction has tapered off and the boss sent the inspectors out to find offenders-- and don't come back without some victims!!
Cape Coral is not a subdivison, almost everyone owns an independent lot and hired a builder-- but the city acts like they are the Boss-- over 150,000 people. The main redeeming feature is 355 days of sunshine each year- we get grumpy if there are 2 overcast days in a row--
http://www.come-to-cape-coral.com/cape-coral-history.html
Well, all tucked in and ready for some final touches--
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:50 am

355 Days of Sunshine! 8)
You should be in camping mode all year long?? :thinking:
What do you mean.....start planning for 2016 season? :roll:
Go camping!
I had to put Miss Piggy in the back of the barn yesterday afternoon. :( Almost broke my heart, but the wind arrived about 6:00 pm last night and the rain is hear now, and the snow is creeping down the mountain and should reach us by tomorrow. :cry:
But, on the optimistic side, I get to work in the shop on Kermit today without feeling guilty about not working on the yard. :applause:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:54 pm

This past month's weather in SW Florida was one the record books, we far exceeded the old record of 11 inches . Last January I was happily working outside on my build. There was only .57" for the month of January, but this year we had 12.98" of rain. It was so wet they had to cancel the swamp buggy races until March. Apparently there is a lake of water over the swamp right now and the parking lot at the track is where all the mud is.
I hope this month sees a week of dry weather so I can finish my exterior paint.
El Nino has pushed the storm tracks further south than normal this year.
How has your weather been?
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:52 am

I have neglected to update my build topic-
The more I use my camper the more I see that needs to be added! It pulls real well and I get a solid 16mpg on trips- loaded. That back rack has been really handy for bulky gear and I can balance the tongue weight. Sometimes I bolt a lightweight cargo box on the rack.
I am getting a new tow vehicle as the HHR pulls fine, but the brakes are a tad slower than I would like. Actually, my wife will get a new drive, and I am switching to our 2014 Dodge Caravan to pull the Weekender-XL. I expect to get 20mpg towing with it. My simple door has never leaked, even driving through rain. I think that curved front has something to do with that. The roof has been solid and no leaks, either. The rear window A/C was only used one time, as I only go out when the weather is moderate. So the A/C is gone. I need to make handouts for all the people who stop to ask me multiple questions at rest stops. "How much did it cost to build?" is the most common question- I fudge and say $1200- as even I don't want to know how much I have actually spent of this camper! I would never have started, if I had known that number in advance.
Mark
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:47 pm

I just returned from a 2 week trip up north to Indiana. I planned on going to see the eclipse, but due to weather and traffic I never made it to my S Illinois destination, so I saw a partial one from my friend's deck in Indiana - he has a 15 acre farmette. His chickens are getting older, (like me) and most of them are now living yard ornaments- not for egg production. I drove over 2500 miles and saw a lot of sights, and some old friends from work who have retired down in KY and TN, now. I had no overnight expenses- just gas and food. My Medicare advantage health plan has a Silver Sneakers fitness membership that works nation wide. I took advantage of that benefit to use the locker rooms and showers, too! I never needed a campground one time.
If I drove closer to 55, I got 18mpg, but I always felt like I was holding up interstate traffic, so I would set the cruise to 62 and settle for 16-17mpg. Best of luck to all who are doing builds right now.
Mark
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:10 am

After 2 years of fun, my Weekender XL has a new home. A retired lady purchased it. I was surprised how fast it sold. I am downsizing and my new home won't have garage space for it, so it was time to re-home it. I was kinda sad to see it leave my driveway. Now that Harbor Freight isn't selling these trailers anymore, I am glad I built it when I did.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby pinkelephant » Tue May 22, 2018 4:54 pm

Gold5one wrote:After 2 years of fun, my Weekender XL has a new home. A retired lady purchased it. I was surprised how fast it sold. I am downsizing and my new home won't have garage space for it, so it was time to re-home it. I was kinda sad to see it leave my driveway. Now that Harbor Freight isn't selling these trailers anymore, I am glad I built it when I did.

I have a HF trailer I bought last summer and am thinking of a shorter version of yours with 4ft tall inside walls and a factory door. I want to put a bunk on the front wall over my feet for my 5 yo
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Build Journals