The No Tears Teardrop Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The No Tears Teardrop Build

Postby Diemjoe » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:02 am

Thanks Tony. Towards the end now. More heartburn than heart. :D
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby Diemjoe » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:53 am

Good news and Bad news. Making my way through the registration process. Passed the requirements and now I just need to pony up the $ for the plate. Pretty easy but time consuming process that I will post separately.

Now the bad news. The trailer has been sitting outside the past couple of weeks and we have been getting some rain. The water seems to be getting in under the aluminum trim and up into the walls. Not sure if it is impending doom or a big issue coming down the line. I used silicone caulk when I attached the trim to the walls but either not enough or it didn't work. I was going to pull the trim and epoxy the wall edges but now that I think about it, I used adhesive caulk and will probably damage the trim. Same problem on the tongue box.
TD-Water-Damage.jpg
Water is getting in around the seams
TD-Water-Damage.jpg (24.53 KiB) Viewed 678 times

I also misjudged how much spring travel there would be on the axle leafs. Went over a bump on one of Seattle's side streets and busted the fender right off. I noticed it when I got home from registration I immediately redrove my steps and luckily found it. I am glueing it back together now and will reattach higher up.
TD-Fender-1.jpg
Ugh
TD-Fender-1.jpg (58.92 KiB) Viewed 678 times

TD-bFender2.jpg
You can see where the tire hit.
TD-bFender2.jpg (31.52 KiB) Viewed 678 times
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby 3GKnight » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:27 pm

Dang. Sucks about the fender & water. I was a little worried about suspension myself but mine's the other way. I have almost no suspension travel, which can also be a problem.
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby Diemjoe » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Yeah. The good thing is that now I have all the parts and wisdom to rebuild it pretty cheaply and much quicker than this took. In the back of my mind, I kind of new this was a prototype. I just don't like the ugly water damage.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby Diemjoe » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:42 am

Done -ish :)

It is as ready for the road as it is going to be.

Thanks for all the help. Stay tuned at Trippinwithdon.com

TD-License-Plate.jpg
Ready for the road
TD-License-Plate.jpg (65.27 KiB) Viewed 608 times
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:09 pm

:applause: Congratulations! You did it! :applause:

Now, get out there and enjoy it!

PS. Be sure to take a pencil and paper with you on your trips, to jot down the things to bring and things that you could do that might make it even better. :thinking: There's always something....
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Nobes » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:42 pm

Congratulations! I hope you can easily resolve those last few little issues, and that you tremendously enjoy your camper. The look is great!
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby Diemjoe » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:28 am

Been on the road for 6 weeks now with almost 6000 miles on the trailer. The first two weeks were definitely shake out time. I wish a little bit that I had stuck to my original plan and did a 1 week run then go back to my house to make the fixes. As with most house sales, I was working on the house up until the Real Estate Agent was on my porch eager to get the key and ended up moving totally out of the house. So I am not running at 100% complete.

But it is towing well, I am getting used to reversing a trailer and I am seeing a lot.

The story and more are here at www.trippinwithdon.com.

I will write a review of the Teardrop Life Pros and Cons at about the 2 months mark.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals