The No Tears Teardrop Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The No Tears Teardrop Build

Postby Nobes » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:20 am

I'm very new at this and haven't built a hatch...yet. But I've built a lot of things twice. I feel your pain. Hang in there!
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:05 am

Diemjoe wrote:Thought I was done with the electric but learned that the PD4045 isn't an inverter. When I go off of Shore power I lose the 120 outlets.
Since I don't have much that depends on 120, I think I am just going to remove the 120 converter from the inside LED lights, add a 12v USB charger plug and wire those back. Easier and cheaper than buying and installing an inverter and transfer switch.

I have a little cigarette lighter inverter that should do in a pinch.

Good Call Don! :thumbsup:
You are going to love your PD4045, it will do everything you will need for your TD.
When I wired "Miss Piggy" I did so for 110 and 12v, thinking we would have shoreline power as a luxury. But as it turns out power is available most places we camp.
We carry a small inverter, but have never had to use it.
Our TV charges the 12V Deep Cycle battery as we drive and we now have a Solar Panel that simply plugs into the TD like the car does when we are driving, to charge the battery. No extra wiring required. ;)
Glad to hear you are getting close on you build.......looks like you have done a wonderful job! :thumbsup:
Hope to see you out camping this season. "On Our Way Campout" Apr. 22-24th in Yakima??
Gorge Gathering May 27-30th Stevenson Wa.
Farm Gathering July 14-17th Westbank B.C.
We would also love to have you on our Tear Jerker PNW Chapter Roster. :thinking:
Contact me if you are interested.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
PNW Chapter Directors
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Diemjoe » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:30 am

Nobes wrote:I'm very new at this and haven't built a hatch...yet. But I've built a lot of things twice. I feel your pain. Hang in there!

I hear that. I am on my second tongue box and didn't even finish the first one.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby Diemjoe » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:34 am

Brian and Sandy, I hope (have) to be done with the trailer by June 1 because that is when I put the house up for sale. I'll watch the get together post to see if I will be around the area when they happen. Thanks for the invite.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:12 pm

Are you planning on becoming a TD "fulltimer" or will your next place not have a workshop? :thinking:
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Diemjoe » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:15 pm

The plan is to be fulltime until I find a new place to settle in. Could be anywhere though so I am building as though the final version is THE final version.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby Diemjoe » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:03 pm

I am slowly working to rebuild the hatch. While at the same time continue with all the other (but dwindling) project I have left to do.
The other slow effort has been the tongue box which has become a "design on the fly" effort.
The dimensions are 49"x 20" by 24" deep. The size is determined by the solar panel. I will store the 12volt battery in it, a basic tool kit as well as my various camping supplies.
I was stuck for the longest time on what to do about the top. It has too much curve to open length wise so I am going to hinge it on the driver side edge. I was hoping to use the aluminum off of the old hatch so as to not waste it. As hard as I tried, I just couldn't get it to fit the curve tightly. I didn't want the stress of it trying to pop out of the curve.
Finally, I decided to cut up about $100 worth of hemlock lattice boards. About an inch wide and 1/2 thick.
I attached the strips to the ribs via 2 inch finishing nails and spar varnished the cover. I didn't think I was going to putty over the nails but after looking at the end product, I decide it was needed. I need to figure out how to stain the nail putty, so that it doesn't stand out as much. Minor issue.
Now I am adding aluminum trim to the box and cover to assist in weather proofing.

Pictures coming soon. I cant shrink the high res ones here at work.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby Diemjoe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:20 am

Well, The hatch is rebuilt and back on. There is still a gap but not as bad. Looking at it, I think that this Gap could be a result of the new hurricane hinge being slight out of alignment in how I attached it to the trailer. I am going to try to remount it tomorrow to see if I can get it fixed.

For general knowledge of the forum, I am wondering if it is best to mount the hatch to the hinge and then the hinge with the hatch attached to the trailer.

Stay tuned for the final results.

On the brighter side, the inside of the cabin is done, Tongue box just needs to get attached securely to the platform. I am ready to balance the trailer now and weld the axle on permanently. So wish me luck on the hatch so I can get this thing on the road.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:33 am

Good luck! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Diemjoe » Mon May 02, 2016 1:33 pm

Closer and Closer. I have all the parts where they are going to be so I balance the load as best as I could. I am hoping that the scale I bought at goodwill for $3 is not accurate because with the axles as far up as I could get them without interfering with the door, tongue weight is 220. Even with the galley cooler filled with water. Oh well.

I am still having trouble with the hatch closing tightly, though. Close inspection with fresh eyes makes me think that the crossbeam on the trailer side of where the hurricane hinge connects to is off by just enough that it is preventing a tight seal on the bottom of the door. Working though it but ugh!!!
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby Diemjoe » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:39 am

On the final stretch. I have everything operational as legally required by the DOT IMHO. I took I out for its first ride yesterday to get it weighed at the local asphalt company. It towed nicely but I was surprises when my little girl came back at 1900 pounds. I am hoping that somebody had their thumb on the scale because my Escape is only rated at 2000. I took it to the scale empty too.

The little road trip did shake things loose in the galley. I had a feeling that the design was going to put too much stress on the stove door and I did. The road bumps pulled apart some I'd the door face seams on the stove door. So I am redesigning/rebuilding that today.

TD-Weigh-in.jpg
My little fatty at the weigh in station
TD-Weigh-in.jpg (40.02 KiB) Viewed 815 times

Formal unveiling party tomorrow so I will leave you (for the moment) to get back to it.
Last edited by Diemjoe on Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:12 am

Looking back over your build and comparing to other similar builds, I really don't think you over built by that much. Was the camper empty when you weighed it or loaded with mattress, bedding and camping gear? Did you uncouple and weigh just the camper?

If empty, I would say to take it to another certified scale that is more likely to be a modern digitized one (i.e. electronic load cell equipped).

Some scales, especially old mechanical ones, won't read as accurately toward the limits of there range; compared to a 60k lb dump truck load of asphalt, your little camper might show some error.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Diemjoe » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:30 am

I have to agree, I wouldn't have put it over 1200 lbs but then again I went a little crazy on the frame. I have an air mattress in there and that is all. You're right about the scales there they do take on some heavy weight. I would think that would have made me think I would barely register and shown lighter.

I must say that I am a little concerned but the only places that I saw listed as acceptable weigh stations in my immediate vicinity are the asphalt factories. I don't like driving around without the tag. The DOT review schedule is 2 weeks out so I just have to cool my jets and finish up some my niglets that bother me about it and get my house cleared out and sold within the week. Plenty to keep me busy.

Thanks for your input.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby Diemjoe » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:54 am

I took the girl to get her weighed which was also her first time on the hitch. Towed pretty smoothly especially when I the weight station had her at 1900 pounds. I am concerned about that since my Escape's tow capacity is 2000 pounds. Earlier responses here to that scale result have me less concerned though. The scales probably weigh on the heavy side. I am going to see if I cant stop in at a weigh station somewhere to see if I can get a more accurate read.

NA-US-WA-Seattle---TD-first-tow.jpg
The Weigh in and First tow
NA-US-WA-Seattle---TD-first-tow.jpg (38.34 KiB) Viewed 761 times

The other concern I had was the galley design and the bumpy ride proved those correct. The physics of how the stove table was built pretty much pulled all the joints loose. So I rebuilt it all day Friday and it is now much simpler and cleaner looking. Plus I think I have more storage with the sliding drawers I bought at Lowes. All in all a better solution is in place.

teardrop galley - img009.jpg
The original and too heavy design
teardrop galley - img009.jpg (61.38 KiB) Viewed 761 times

NA-US-WA-Seattle---teardrop-Galley-img010.jpg
The New Galley
NA-US-WA-Seattle---teardrop-Galley-img010.jpg (57.64 KiB) Viewed 761 times
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:26 am

Don:

Sweeeet trailer, well built with a lotta heart.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals