Conch Fritter Woodie - Finally gets its topsides painted!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Conch Fritter Woodie - Finally gets its topsides painted

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:41 am

On the mold issue, it looks like a combination of "artillery mold" and some form of fungus that may have been on the wood, not sure. I'm leaning against the on-wood thing, as the sides are book matched strips and the problem only exists on one side. I tried just sanding down the poly and repairing the "bad" spots, but I had penetrated the wood initially, so it came out splotchy. Best way now is to just take it back down to bare wood and build from there. Probably take me a week or so to do.
EDIT: I think I just realized what the other contamination is. I think it is outgassing of the cedar into the poly. It was at the same locations as the artillery spores, so I assumed it was another type of mold. Looking more closely at it with a magnifying glass, I see it is actually bubbles under the poly. I'll still do a full strip down, but will now use my heat gun to heat the cedar prior to applying the poly. I forgot about needing to do that sometimes on soft woods.

On the windows, yes I have thin mesh screens set inside and attached to the wall. I also have door screens I made using magnets to hold close. Have very few biter problems (knock wood).

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:30 pm

Here in Canada, cedar is one of the naturally most rot resilient wood species. Never heard of that "artillery mold" of any kind of mold on cedar. Cedar strips are used to build very light canoe here that then covered by glass veil and epoxy and such canoes last a very long time and look great.
:thinking:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:38 am

The spores actually embed in the coating, in my case poly. It is called "artillery" because there is like this holder and when it hits the ground it launches the actual spore. The spore embeds in the material and then begins to multiply. It is black and looks and feels like black sand grains.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals