Canned in Oregon. The 5x10 Story!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Canned in Oregon. The 5x10 Story!

Postby MTalon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:22 am

The wife and I decided we wanted to take on the task of building ourselves a teardrop during last winter. So I began trolling this site and looking at many pictures to decide what I wanted to build. Well months passed, I became lazy and around march/april I finally ordered a northern tool 5x8 trailer.

After putting it together "which was extremely easy" I began hunting for wood as I planned to build a 5x10. Finding 10 foot plywood was very difficult in my home town so I drove over to Portland Oregon to pick up 2 sheets of 4x10 5/8 plywood for the wall frames and 2 sheets of lower quality 4x10 5/8 for the floor. 5x10 of the same type of wood was over 120, where as the 4x10 were only 30 a piece.

After speaking to Dave "DMcCam", the builder of the Atma Travelear, he gave me approval to base my profile off of his. So I began building the walls.

I used a projector with the profile Dave posted in his build thread to draw my outlines. I then used a jigsaw to cut both walls at the same time "Bad Idea". I recommend cutting either one and using a flush cut bit for the other or making a thinner template and using a flush cut bit.

I don't have many pictures of my floor build but I used cheap 1x3 for the framing to allow for insulation. I will be putting 1/4 baltic birch over the top of the framing.

Since the trailer is 5 foot wide, and aluminum only comes in 5 foot wide sections I had to figure out a way to bring my walls in to allow the aluminum to sit on top. I decided to route out a slot in the walls that allowed the walls to sit on the floor and hang down to cover the trailer frame.

WALL TEST FIT

At this point, the floor is still sitting on the trailer bolts and not bolted to the frame. I just layed the floor on and stuck the walls to get a feel for the size. I could not put the floor on until I got the trailer welded up and the tongue extension done. So now for the tongue extension. Since I am going to be using a battery box on the front of the trailer I needed to extend the tongue out a bit from the standard northern tool trailer. I opted to use 2.5 inch steel so I could retain my original hitch. I purchased a 10 foot length of 2.5 by 3/8 square tubing and waited and waited and waited for my buddy to get time to weld it up for me. Well the day came and it turned out great. We cut the tube to around 105 and ran it half way back on the trailer. The pictures should explain the rest.

As of right now, my next tasks are to:

-Paint raw steel
-Install carriage bolts on the floor and install 1/4 BB over the top.
-Order a torsion axle and move wheels back 1+ feet.
-Glue 1/8 BB to the inside of the walls

Estimated completion date is May 10 2015, my wifes birthday. So I currently have -36ish days to complete it :(
Last edited by MTalon on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MTalon
Teardrop Inspector

Re: NT 5x10 - Quirky Name to Follow

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:23 am

A very pleasing profile :D

You will be oh so glad you extended and reinforced the tongue.

The towing and the ease of backing up will be very much appreciated.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: Oregon Trail Special 5x10

Postby MTalon » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:36 pm

Nothing special this weekend. I installed the rear stabalizer jacks and added a coat of henrys roof tar (201) to the underside of the floor.

I just used a putty knife to spread the tar around and it was a pain. BUT... I didn't get any of it on me which is a huge success from what I understand.

I also picked up some stainless steel carriage bolts, torque washers and nylon nuts for installing the floor to the trailer frame.

MTalon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:54 am

Very nice! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby MTalon » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:12 am

No Picture update right now but I routed out the 1/4 hatch gap along the walls as many have recommended. I used a rabbet bit to do half the thickness at 1/4 and then a flush cut to finish her off.

I finally received my RAKA epoxy in the mail so I can seal up the floor to frame bolt holes and waterproof the ends of the plywood. I was waiting on the epoxy before I put my 1/4 birch on the floor and inside walls as well as actually mounting the walls.

HAPPY 4th EVERYONE.. even though its the 3rd..
MTalon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby NatchezPhotography » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:35 am

Looking forward to seeing more progress.
NatchezPhotography
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MTalon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:47 pm

Question: How are people sealing up their floor to frame bolt holes from water/rot?

The bolts that hold down the floor to the trailer frame. Currently I have my 1x3 framing glued to plywood on top of my trailer frame. I drilled the holes and filled them with epoxy and plan to redrill through the epoxy but I feel as if redrilling will scrape off some of the epoxy thus negating the epoxy all together.
MTalon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Padilen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:35 pm

I haven't built a teardrop camper. Just utility and kayak/utility trailers. Which I did without drilling into frame. I'd have welded tabs not bolted through. But I live in Michigan and use my stuff in winter. My utility trailer was made from a popup trailer frame. Even without drilling extra holes my frame rusted out. Michigan RR&R rough roads and rust
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby MTalon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:38 pm

Im not so much worried about the steel rusting as I am about the wood rotting. The holes in the trailer frame are powder coated already.
MTalon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Padilen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:58 pm

Ok
I'd use a wood sealer just drip it around holes and dip bolt in it. As long as it's safe for your epoxy.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby azgreg » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:00 pm

Silicone would be an option as well I suppose.
azgreg
Donating Member

Postby MTalon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:09 pm

I thought about some silicone. Since the holes have been filled with Epoxy, when I redrill it might only take cause a few spots to go down to bare wood. If I placed some expanding silicone on the bolt before inserting I feel that would be enough. Probably over building, but when has that ever hurt anyone right? :twisted:
MTalon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Padilen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:39 pm

I'm one of those people- I'm not a fan of silicone.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby azgreg » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Once the floor is bolted on you can always slather on some more of the black stuff.
azgreg
Donating Member

Postby MTalon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:14 pm

I did lift up the floor and put another generous coating of tar on the frame where it meets the wood. I feel as I am just being paranoid.
MTalon
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Build Journals