4x8 Grasshopper TTT - Flowitda Go!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

4x8 Grasshopper TTT - Flowitda Go!

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:37 pm

So, here is my plan and my build so far! Keep in mind I am a triple amputee, both legs below knees and partial hand. My goal was to build myself a teardrop size camper that I can move around myself. My nice big 12' pop-up began to be no fun when my son grew out of the "camping with the old man is cool" phase. He is nearly 20 now, what did I expect? :thinking:

So I got rid of the pop-up and after much lurking on this forum I decided that a teardrop was just what I needed! My garage is solar powered, and everything I have done so far has been accomplished off of 50 watts of solar and 210 amp hours battery bank.

I caught a great deal on a harbor freight 4x8 1200 lb trailer and put it together. After seeing many builds with the sidewalls sitting on the lip of the trailer, I decided to do this as well. I built my floor supports out of 2x2, and then decided it would be easier to go ahead and install my subfloor insulation before I put on the decking.
I got the trailer a week ago yesterday, and had it put together a week ago today. So subfloor was completed on 6/12/15

With copious amounts of liquid nails I screwed down the decking, then foil taped off the insulation seams underneath and applied undercoating.

I thought the undercoating would eat up the insulation, but with careful light coats it did pretty well.

Next up was figuring out the shape of my camper. I like the look of the teardrops with the curves, but I didn't want to tackle all the work needed for that, plus I wanted to build this with as little help as possible, so I went with a hard angle design.

I got that door on ebay for $60. It is actually a side access door for a large RV, but at 30 inches tall and 27 wide I felt I could duck a little lower to save $300 on a door. The window you see there, I got a pair for only $60, but they didn't come with trim rings. (but I got that figured out!)

After carefully making all my angle cuts and door/window cutouts, I set the walls up on the trailer lip and glued/screwed them on!

As you can see from the last picture, The door is actually pretty good sized, and I have no problems getting in and out.

Since I opted for the trailer lip, my finished inside width will be 45.5", and I thought that would be way small. After getting things together, it seems like two could sleep pretty well in there. I made the sleeping compartment as long as a regular bed, 75". But, with my legs off I need less than 5' length to sleep :lol:

So as of yesterday that was all I had accomplished in a little under a week. Because I can't stand around for too long without my legs getting uncomfortable I would work for about 15 minutes then sit and take a 10 minute break. So I'm working a bit slow!

Today I planned to get much accomplished, but the storms in TX have pushed thunderstorms up here to KY, and I had to tarp over the build and call it quits early today, or get rained on. I did get some important things done, though.

Since I knew nothing about camper windows I didn't realize that I wouldn't get a trim ring from my inexpensive ebay set. I didn't want to drill through them and screw them in from the outside, so I got a little creative. The windows have an inside lip that is only just big enough to fit through the hole in the wall I cut, so I used the 1x2's I had planned on using for framing the door and windows to hold the window in tight.

I don't know if you can see it well from the picture, but the side framing sits flush with the inside lip/edge of the window. The top and bottom framing, however, I cut a groove into about .5" deep all the way across. I pushed the window all the way in, then I gently tapped the top and bottom framing behind the window lip, and low and behold the window snugged up tight and is solid in place. My only issue with this is that if I ever need to replace the window I will have to cut into my interior wall covering to get those frames out!

I also got a bit of insulation in today before the rain chased me inside the house for the afternoon.

I have a ways to go on this build, but I sure am happy with my progress so far! I am also sure the UPS man is getting tired of seeing me, seems like he is bringing me parts I have ordered on a daily basis! :R

Neil
Last edited by TwoFeetShorter on Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Re: 4x8 Tiny Travel Trailer Build- No legs needed

Postby pchast » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:11 pm

Neil,

You're moving really quickly at this point.
:applause:
I'd like to recommend 2 doors if you plan to ever have someone
else camp with you. I'm convinced it gets difficult to climb over
someone in the middle of the night. Thanks for the pictures.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:06 am

I have one door and travel alone wish I had two. Seems to me your moving right along, but what do I know? Two hands and two legs I still haven't the getup to build one.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:33 am

pchast wrote:Neil,

You're moving really quickly at this point.
:applause:
I'd like to recommend 2 doors if you plan to ever have someone
else camp with you. I'm convinced it gets difficult to climb over
someone in the middle of the night. Thanks for the pictures.

I move as quick as I can, lol I am ready to go boondocking!
I am single and would imagine that I will not have too many times that I will need the second door, but I appreciate the advice.
Budget says one door so I am doing one door right now. I am retired and on a fixed income, so I am just getting essentials right now. Maybe later I will install another door.
Neil
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:36 am

PKCSPT wrote:I have one door and travel alone wish I had two. Seems to me your moving right along, but what do I know? Two hands and two legs I still haven't the getup to build one.

I make it a point to do things people think I can't or shouldn't do! So building a tiny travel trailer is just par for the course for me.
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:52 pm

I sat at my grandfathers side and assisted when he would let me. I learned a lot from him and marveled at how a one handed man adapter and overcame every hurdle he encountered while working on a wood working or remodeling project. The loss of his dominate hand to just below the elbow in a farming accident never slowed him down either. My favorite story I love to tell..... I was about 13 and staying with grandma and grandpa for 2 weeks of the summer. Grandpa was in his element in his woodworking shop and I heard my Grandma holler out. "Cecil do you have on your good hand or your everyday hand?" He used his prosthetic hand to set the nails before he picked up the hammer to drive them. Unfortunately this occasionally broke a few of the finely wound wires that made up the hand. So he was in trouble if he didn't have his "everyday" hand on :)

8 months ago I shortened two fingers in a table saw accident and have been cursing and grumbling because they slow me down a bit.
I promise I will refrain from any further " feel sorry for myself" moments. You have set a sterling example as did grandpa. Take what's dealt to you ,
adapt and overcome. I stand in awe and salute you sir.

Bob Henry
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby lincolnlerner » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:38 pm

Well Said!

I can't add anything to this. My first thoughts this morning was that he accomplishes more in a short time than everyone. More than I finished this year and last!
As a youngster I was very active, as age sets in I slowed down. Now this! I have to up my game! Hats off!

If you ever need anything from Chicago let me know.
Wow!
lincolnlerner
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:50 pm

bobhenry wrote:I sat at my grandfathers side and assisted when he would let me. I learned a lot from him and marveled at how a one handed man adapter and overcame every hurdle he encountered while working on a wood working or remodeling project. The loss of his dominate hand to just below the elbow in a farming accident never slowed him down either. My favorite story I love to tell..... I was about 13 and staying with grandma and grandpa for 2 weeks of the summer. Grandpa was in his element in his woodworking shop and I heard my Grandma holler out. "Cecil do you have on your good hand or your everyday hand?" He used his prosthetic hand to set the nails before he picked up the hammer to drive them. Unfortunately this occasionally broke a few of the finely wound wires that made up the hand. So he was in trouble if he didn't have his "everyday" hand on :)

8 months ago I shortened two fingers in a table saw accident and have been cursing and grumbling because they slow me down a bit.
I promise I will refrain from any further " feel sorry for myself" moments. You have set a sterling example as did grandpa. Take what's dealt to you ,
adapt and overcome. I stand in awe and salute you sir.

Bob Henry

Bob, I know lots of people with only one hand, and have never seen any of them not be able to accomplish what is needed done! Hats off to your grandfather!
Most days I miss my fingers more than my legs.... I am left handed, and it was my left hand that lost the digits!

lincolnlerner wrote:Well Said!

I can't add anything to this. My first thoughts this morning was that he accomplishes more in a short time than everyone. More than I finished this year and last!
As a youngster I was very active, as age sets in I slowed down. Now this! I have to up my game! Hats off!

If you ever need anything from Chicago let me know.
Wow!

Lincoln, It may be a few short days, but they have been full working days on this! So far I probably have 18-20 hours in build time. I don't work anymore so I have more free time :lol:

Yes! I need from Chicago a few dozen hotdogs! No pizza please, I could never understand the concept of sauce on top :roll:

Thank you both for your kind comments, it is much appreciated!
Neil
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Postby noseoil » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:27 pm

Neil, congrats on your build! I think you're moving faster than I am at this point & nice to see you making progress. Looking forward to seeing more pictures as the work continues. I've been on mine for a year now & it looks like you will be passing me any day now. Best, welcome, tim
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:15 pm

The curved TDs are pretty, but it seems to me they lose a lot of space in the galley because of it. I think you'll be happy with the boxy shape. You can make the next one pretty".
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Breytie » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:49 am

Congrats on the progress!
I found the hard angles a real pain with lots of fiddly little angles to be mitered and funny (not!) filler and support blocks to be made. Curves for me next time! Plus straights and flats focus the eye onto any and all booboos while curves tend to be easier to blend.
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:48 pm

rebapuck wrote:The curved TDs are pretty, but it seems to me they lose a lot of space in the galley because of it. I think you'll be happy with the boxy shape. You can make the next one pretty".

Who needs pretty anyway? I actually really like the shape so far, it reminds me of a regular big pull behind camper, only smaller. :)

noseoil wrote:Neil, congrats on your build! I think you're moving faster than I am at this point & nice to see you making progress. Looking forward to seeing more pictures as the work continues. I've been on mine for a year now & it looks like you will be passing me any day now. Best, welcome, tim

When I have all the time in the world to twiddle my thumb, I have time to work on my camper more than most. Thanks for the welcome Tim.
Breytie wrote:Congrats on the progress!
I found the hard angles a real pain with lots of fiddly little angles to be mitered and funny (not!) filler and support blocks to be made. Curves for me next time! Plus straights and flats focus the eye onto any and all booboos while curves tend to be easier to blend.

I am hoping Breytie that my chosen finish on the outside will cover up any booboos I make. While curves solve lots of problems that angles make, I really want to do this w/o any help, or as little as possible, and curves would mean I would always be calling someone to help me out :thumbdown:
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:01 pm

So the T-storms have me sitting inside again today, and I am going bonkers with boredom! So I have no new build progress, but I do have some new pictures to add anyway..

This came in the mail, and I had no idea that a Fan-Tastic vent would be so big. I went with this model because of cost/budget, as it was half the price of the models with the full opening vent top.

If you close the vents up it is set up to direct the air back down into the sleeping compartment, making it a ceiling fan as well as a powered vent. When I get it hooked up and installed I will let y'all know how well it does.
Question: I thought about putting this a little forward of center in the sleeping compartment so it would be right over top of me while I sleep. Basically so it would pull air through the windows right over top of me, or blow directly down on me if I use the ceiling fan mode. Thoughts on placement?

My interior covering also arrived in the past few days. I opted for inexpensive acoustic carpet for inside walls and ceiling, as it should be an easy install and only cost me about $40 for the roll and that includes two cans of 3M 777 spray glue. When it is fully installed I will scotchguard it to keep it easily cleaned.

Hopefully tomorrow the storms will have passed and I can get my roof spars and roof decking on.
Stupid rain.

Neil
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Postby lincolnlerner » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:17 pm

I have made Chicago style pizza for decades. A bit different from the newer stuffed variety but still heavy and tasty. Original Pizzeria unos, dues and other just to name a few.
The hot dogs are made worse every year. Wish I could get good hot dogs. But the Chicago style is with the mustard, onion, tomatoes, pickle relish and sport peppers. Throw in some celery salt too. Grilled onions a favorite of many. Buns with or without seeds. Let me know and if I can get the right ones you will get them.

Cheers!
lincolnlerner
Teardrop Advisor

small amount of progress

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:02 pm

So it has been HOT HOT HOT! :? :? :?
I just can't take working in the heat because what is left of my legs is covered up in prosthetic liners nearly all the way up. I lost a lot of the skin area that sweats, and the rest is covered so I overheat pretty easy.
I did manage to get one wall insulated yesterday before I had to call it quits, though.

And today my two pack of fold down frame supports came, and I got one mounted in front and one in back. I was too lazy to walk around the back and take a picture of that one, but here is the one on the front:

I was out only a 1/2 hour in the shade and my shirt was completely soaked! HOT!
I guess I need to plan on only working in the late afternoon and evening until it starts cooling off a bit.

But progress is progress!

Neil
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Build Journals