go ahead, call me crazy !

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: go ahead, call me crazy !

Postby dave campbell » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:37 pm

no real news today---except........

ALUMINUM SHEETS HAVE BEEN DELIVERED !! now if the rain will let up i can get outside with the ram-board and start templating. some up and coming things-----
1: more cage prep is needed for things such as brake light mounts, and possible bumper mounts
2: make a decision on how the aluminum skin will wrap under the base. also---how to keep road-water from creeping up, all around the perimeter

here's the TV. i needed to clear the driveway for the aluminum delivery. suffering from size-envy at the time i took this photo. i was wishing that i went for 15' instead of 12'6, but the wife says it's perfect the way it is. plus it's not the size that counts--it's how you use it
in tow.JPG
in tow.JPG (51.77 KiB) Viewed 2146 times

:beer:
renaissance man-----MUST....MAKE......EVERYTHING !! (wife interjects here---"EXCEPT MONEY !")
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby Irmo Atomics » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:38 am

Looking good, Dave... for the floor perimeter, I've used aluminum drip edge (like you use on roofs at the facia board).
Bob
Irmo Atomics
Teardrop Master

Postby dave campbell » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:01 pm

Irmo Atomics wrote:Looking good, Dave... for the floor perimeter, I've used aluminum drip edge (like you use on roofs at the facia board).

thanks irmo ! drip edge may be the way to go, but i still need to decide how to finish the bottom portion of the skin. if you check out the photo of the original, it sort of rolls under a ways at the bottom 6-8 inches. i'm still contemplating if i want to do that or come to a hard stop at the floor line ..... :thinking:
you can see that the change in wall angle occurs above the floor level in those photos, and i did not allow for that with my cage design....so i would have to make the angle change at the floor level which will change the look of the door and perhaps make the trailer look a little taller. i'm not sure if i will like the proportions. paper template first .......

2996395329_34264b1a02.jpg
2996395329_34264b1a02.jpg (138.48 KiB) Viewed 2085 times

2997233570_6b4e388ace.jpg
2997233570_6b4e388ace.jpg (153.79 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
renaissance man-----MUST....MAKE......EVERYTHING !! (wife interjects here---"EXCEPT MONEY !")
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:54 pm

I think you will be okay squaring off the bottom of the door for simplicity's sake, but the overall cabin will look much better with at least some roll under the floor. Worth the extra effort IMO.

Truth? Even if you just cut off at the bottom of the floor square, what you have accomplished and how it will look is and will still be awesome. You can't go wrong at this point. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:11 am

I agree rolling under the floor will look so much better. I wouldnt consider doing it differently.
Put it this way, my build has things I'm not willing to compromise on but if i don't have the time to learn the skill or the equipment so ill farm it out.
I'd be paying someone to do the sill section before I made it square if I was you
It will make or break the build.
Door sill horizontal with curved corners should look fine
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby dave campbell » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:37 pm

well then ----the roll it unders have spoken. the wife wants that too, and i was waffling so i will join the crowd.

here we go with the templates. the bottom panels will have an additional 5" or so hanging below the floor line to accommodate the roll under---the logistics and mounting of which i can figure out later. the ram board isn't quite as resilient as i thought it would be, but it gives us a great indication of what could go wrong when we get to the metal phase. too big a piece ? doesn't sit well. too tight a fit ? high points of the cage ghost through. too loose a fit ? that would just snowball in a bad way. there really is a very small window of placement that we need to stay in, in order to keep this going as symmetrically as possible. maintaining adequate sheet overlap is also important. originally i thought the lines of the cage would translate directly to the seams between the aluminum skin, but now we will be avoiding that, as there were problems with how the larger pieces sit. also aesthetically it really will look nice if the pieces get slimmer as they get closer to the top.
tmplate 2.JPG
tmplate 2.JPG (47.24 KiB) Viewed 2036 times

on the inside--- strategically placed shims will ensure that the skin curves as organically as possible. hopefully we stay away from a faceted appearance.
even thought the cage is not perfectly matched left to right, we can mask this by using the same template pieces for each side and adjusting the seam allowances to achieve a better balance
template 1.JPG
template 1.JPG (54.48 KiB) Viewed 2036 times

dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby dave campbell » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:41 pm

a side note----another good reason for the thinner pieces of siding is---better use of materials. the original trailer has some bigger chunks on it, which are nice, but i don't think i can achieve the same quality with out using easier to handle pieces. we may have a lower scrap rate with smaller pieces. :beer:
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby dales133 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:05 am

Cool your making good headway,cant wait to see the skin go on
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:25 pm

I'm thinking that you can't put off the bottom curl too long, since that is the starter piece of the shingle puzzle, isn't it?

You know the bodywork on the early Ferrari's were hammer formed on oak stumps.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dave campbell » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:34 pm

KCStudly wrote:I'm thinking that you can't put off the bottom curl too long, since that is the starter piece of the shingle puzzle, isn't it?

You know the bodywork on the early Ferrari's were hammer formed on oak stumps.

wellll..... my thoughts are that if i leave it overhanging, then i can continue with the rest of the wrap, then come back to solving this problem later. being 'not a different piece', i can decide down the road what kind of curve it will have, and how i will execute......fingers crossed but my gut says "keep going!" and i do trust my gut.

here's how the day went......

my options for cutting the skin were as follows----
1: jigsaw----don't even bother
2: tinsnips----nice and quiet but not the best cut----in the photo below you can see the wavy edge----this is the snips leaving their mark. on a smaller scale the same thing was happening. serrated edge and a waviness that was undesirable
3: grinder with a zip wheel---absolutely the best cut. the plastic film did not even have a chance to melt, and the sheet stayed flat instead of getting the wavy effect. plus alot quicker
snipped skin.JPG
snipped skin.JPG (29.7 KiB) Viewed 1973 times

below you can see two sheets in place. i did a bit of a rush job on the cut-out phase---knowing that i would be re-touching this edge later. the green tape is the new cutting guide
skin retrim3.JPG
skin retrim3.JPG (44.11 KiB) Viewed 1973 times

first i used string to give me a nice flowing line to work with--then masking tape so i could remove the piece and clean it up to the tape line. zipped it to the line, then sanded
skin retrim.JPG
skin retrim.JPG (35.42 KiB) Viewed 1973 times

dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby dave campbell » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:39 pm

here we see the piece dialed in and ready for the next fitting
skin retrim2.JPG
skin retrim2.JPG (42.89 KiB) Viewed 2000 times

the aluminum flows quite nicely over the lumps and bumps of the cage (so far !)
nice curve.JPG
nice curve.JPG (48.65 KiB) Viewed 2000 times

some silver !!
finally some bling.JPG
finally some bling.JPG (45.29 KiB) Viewed 2000 times

dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby lfhoward » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:15 pm

Really impressed with your ambitious build! Not crazy, just ambitious. I think it is coming together nicely.

Your art deco trailer design and the original inspiration for it are way cool. They bring to mind a unique concept vehicle from the 1930's called the Stout Scarab. I remember seeing something about that a few weeks ago in the Detroit Free Press.

Here's the article. http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2015/08/21/stout-scarab-detroit-historical-museum/32068559/

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing how the build shapes up now that you are skinning it.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:54 pm

Nice work Dave! Your best choice of the cutting method, you did not mention #3 was the quiet by some reason, lol.
I did Random Orbit sander sanding of my big roof panel and oh boy was it loud, I guess a whole neighborhood community now knows I am doing something big. All the best!
OP827
Donating Member

Postby dave campbell » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:21 pm

OP827 wrote:Nice work Dave! Your best choice of the cutting method, you did not mention #3 was the quiet by some reason, lol.
I did Random Orbit sander sanding of my big roof panel and oh boy was it loud, I guess a whole neighborhood community now knows I am doing something big. All the best!

must've forgotten ;) at least it's quick---plus i can do it way in the back yard where there are more sound baffles like trees and shop walls

slow going these days---doing a pretty intense tile job. lots of floors, steam shower, etc....i get home fairly beat up and no desire to do much in the chilly evening light.
but........the rivets arrived today and have rekindled my fire. they have a lot smaller head than i had imagined, and have a golden hue rather than silver, but i will grow to like them

oops wrong line ! gonna have to trim this piece down again
first rivet holes.JPG
first rivet holes.JPG (12.13 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

ok these things are COOL !
ready to rivet 1.JPG
ready to rivet 1.JPG (11.31 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

three different shaft lengths--depending on how many layers are lapping
rivets.JPG
rivets.JPG (30.54 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby dave campbell » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:22 pm

lfhoward wrote:Really impressed with your ambitious build! Not crazy, just ambitious. I think it is coming together nicely.

Your art deco trailer design and the original inspiration for it are way cool. They bring to mind a unique concept vehicle from the 1930's called the Stout Scarab. I remember seeing something about that a few weeks ago in the Detroit Free Press.

Here's the article. http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2015/08/21/stout-scarab-detroit-historical-museum/32068559/

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing how the build shapes up now that you are skinning it.

hey thanks a lot !! i checked out the stout scarab---not a pretty car, but loaded with style !
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals