"Jackal" 5x10 TD Running water.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD We're Street legal!!

Postby JmsCaverly » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:15 am

I can tell you it was really easy. You need to fill out two forms one for the trailer build and one for registration. Make sure you have the receipt for your steel, axle and wheel/tires that's what they need for proof you built the trailer and didn't steal it. They want to know the estimated cost of the build I told them mine was round $8500 which I'm getting pretty close to, then she wanted to know what I thought what the weight was I told her about 1300 or 1400 Next she asked me if I had my trailer with me and I did, she asked me to pull up to an inspection area where she came out and asked me to do a light check. I signed the registration papers she handed me the VIN number sticker and told me she had to watch me stick it on ( my guess if for fraud check) then we went inside, she didn't some more work on the computer handed me a lisence plate, gave me my registration paper and off we went pretty simple process.
Come visit my build journal
139728 139588
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63870
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD We're Street legal!!

Postby JmsCaverly » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:39 pm

So today a pretty good sized rock slammed into my windshield, so that's going to cut the funds on the teardrop for a few weeks. Good thing it's only $250 for a new one, and I think I have enough cherry to finish up the galley. That should be good enough to get us though the April event.

But cool thing is I got a good chance to finish up the lower galley doors. Just need a little bit of finish work and some more sanding and I can install them.

I need to put a back bevel on the doors because I don't want to use handle I want nice clean look on these doors same will go for the uppers.

I didn't really think ahead when I was doing the raised panel on the small door to the left, I used some biscuits to join the boards together. And I ended up pulling them out at the ends just too far, and well boo boos happen. But it's ok I might end up making a new door when I'm all done but for now and the sake of time I'll just move on.

I got some shittastic news at work today, and after coming home and doing some venting with my wife, more like yelling lol I when to the garage and did what I do best and bang things......

I used the leftover piece I had from the bumper and made a mallet, and I used for the handle the leftover from the big board I bought. I think it came out pretty cool I haven't made one of these since high school and I haven't really had the spare wood to make one in a while. It handles nice it's very top heavy and completely unbalanced which is what I was going for, to have the extra heavy weight behind the hits.

It was nice to get back to the basics and just use a good ole hammer and chisel, although I found out quickly that I haven't used those skills in quite some time. So it didn't end up perfect like I would have hoped bit nonetheless still nice and made of solid hard wood. I've always liked building without glues or fasteners, it adds another kind of skill to make things fit perfectly.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD Galley Cabinets

Postby JmsCaverly » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:02 am

I worked the side mount table today that we will use for serving and cooking seeing as our galley is rather small we will have to expand to the outside. I want to get another side mount of the other side also but that will be in the coming months.

I decided to go with my wife's idea of making an angled table instead of a straight one, I like how it came out I think next I will try and get some cherry laminate to match the inside and I think I'll do some solid wood edging around the perimeter.

I go the kids bunks all framed out, I just I need to make the cherry 1/4 round trim and the cherry face plates and those will be done. They came out nice the bottom bunk has a shallow storage area where I will keep a tool bag and the parts for the ClimateRight.

I also got some double pivot latches from ace today so I can secure the box over the ClimateRight. I just need to finish up the paint and put on the seals and that will be finished. I really need to get back to working th cabinetry in the galley but I'm really at a road block I have ideas on how I want it to look just need to figure it out.

The kiddos are all ready to go!!

139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD Kids Bunks

Postby ELM » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:12 am

Looking awesome. I like the angled side table I might steal your wife's idea.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby TheOtherSean » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:10 pm

Just remember to remove the kiddies from the trailer before towing. :lol:
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Postby JmsCaverly » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:34 pm

TheOtherSean wrote:Just remember to remove the kiddies from the trailer before towing. :lol:

Hahaha I'll be sure to remember that one.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Postby JmsCaverly » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:35 pm

ELM wrote:Looking awesome. I like the angled side table I might steal your wife's idea.

I thought it was rather clever when she said it.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Postby JmsCaverly » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:45 pm

We made a successful test run, I learned a few things about camp site set up and getting things how I want them. It was a last minute kinda thing we saw a bunch of people leaving out of the base rv park and said lets go look just to see.

Well here we are .......

The kids are loving it my oldest (3) kept saying "Dad this is nice, do you like it? Like he's the one who put in all the man hours. But they had fun and are now all passed out from sweet popcorn and movies.

Next is the Lake Shasta meet I can not wait this is going to be awesome!
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD First trip = Success

Postby JmsCaverly » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:42 pm

We took off for a small trip last night, when we got home this morning I took the camper to the car wash to spray it down and saw a bunch of wheel bearing grease all over the wheel. When I got it home I pulled it all part and the results aren't very good. I have no clue what I did wrong.

I'm hoping you guys can help me out here Shasta is in less than a week and we might not be able to make it now.

I pulled the hub cap and saw that the bearing cap just fell off, now I'm not sure why. I remember just tapping them on when the bearing were installed. But what I'm really worried about will follow in the pictures below.

Once I had it in the garage I got it up on a jack and checked for any kind of bearing feel but there wasn't any the wheel felt good and no kind of moment in any direction. But once I pulled the wheel off I could feel the grinding in the bearing hub there still wasn't any play but a ton of resistance in the forward bearing. And so it is there was a bunch of metal chips in the grease you can see their size in the pic below.

Here's my biggest worry I'm concerned that my axle is toast there is a bunch of blueing in the axle spindle. And now I'm not sure what to do from here. My first thought is I need a new axle u checked the spot of bearing wear and the axle isn't out of round so that's good but I'm worried that I have may cause too much fatigue in the spindle itself to keep using it.

So guys what do I do?

Get new bearings and make the trip checking along the way for any kind of issue?

Or just sit this one out and order a new axle?

I'm pretty bummed out over this I've worked so hard over the last few months to get ready for this "first trip" and now it might be in jeopardy.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD Blown axle bearings

Postby KennethW » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:12 pm

It looks like you had the nut to tight and or not packer right(you have to get the grease in the bearing between the rollers Not just in the outside). As the bearings heated up it got even tighter. The way a do it is spin the hub when tighten when you fill a little resistant loosen a 1/4 turn. Better to be loose then too tight. I have not heard of a bearing failing from being a little loose. A teardrop is a very light load so I don't see a problem with the axle. I would run it as long as the out side bearing still fits right and is not loose on the axle . Most axle low carbon steel that will not get hard and break. But this is just my thoughts.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JmsCaverly » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:59 pm

Well I definitely didn't know that the axle nut needed to be backed off a bit, I know for sure its not from the lack of axle grease considering the amount of bearing grease I had to clean off the wheels. And there is still a lot of grease still inside the hub and on the bearings themselves.

It's good to know that the axle isn't bad, I was kinda sure it wasn't but I haven't done anything with trailers before so this helped.

Thanks for the info.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Postby Graniterich » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:40 pm

KennethW wrote:It looks like you had the nut to tight and or not packer right(you have to get the grease in the bearing between the rollers Not just in the outside). As the bearings heated up it got even tighter. The way a do it is spin the hub when tighten when you fill a little resistant loosen a 1/4 turn. Better to be loose then too tight. I have not heard of a bearing failing from being a little loose. A teardrop is a very light load so I don't see a problem with the axle. I would run it as long as the out side bearing still fits right and is not loose on the axle . Most axle low carbon steel that will not get hard and break. But this is just my thoughts.

This is the most likely correct answer, pack the grease, lightly tighten, then back off a bit. Looks like it was too tight. Is the axle still feeling smooth? If no ruts or non smoothness, you should be fine. Every time you stop put your hand on hub, I would guess yours was way hot!
KennethW wrote:It looks like you had the nut to tight and or not packer right(you have to get the grease in the bearing between the rollers Not just in the outside). As the bearings heated up it got even tighter. The way a do it is spin the hub when tighten when you fill a little resistant loosen a 1/4 turn. Better to be loose then too tight. I have not heard of a bearing failing from being a little loose. A teardrop is a very light load so I don't see a problem with the axle. I would run it as long as the out side bearing still fits right and is not loose on the axle . Most axle low carbon steel that will not get hard and break. But this is just my thoughts.

JmsCaverly wrote:I can tell you it was really easy. You need to fill out two forms one for the trailer build and one for registration. Make sure you have the receipt for your steel, axle and wheel/tires that's what they need for proof you built the trailer and didn't steal it. They want to know the estimated cost of the build I told them mine was round $8500 which I'm getting pretty close to, then she wanted to know what I thought what the weight was I told her about 1300 or 1400 Next she asked me if I had my trailer with me and I did, she asked me to pull up to an inspection area where she came out and asked me to do a light check. I signed the registration papers she handed me the VIN number sticker and told me she had to watch me stick it on ( my guess if for fraud check) then we went inside, she didn't some more work on the computer handed me a lisence plate, gave me my registration paper and off we went pretty simple process.
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby ELM » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:05 am

All good advice from the guys above. There needs to be a little slop in the bearings. You could most likely get some bearings from an auto parts store or tractor supply. I would replace both inner and outer bearings and races. Also check out the other side to see what kind of shape those bearings are in. You can still make the Shasta lake GTG you've worked to hard on your tear drop not to go.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:09 am

JmsCaverly wrote:Well I definitely didn't know that the axle nut needed to be backed off a bit, I know for sure its not from the lack of axle grease considering the amount of bearing grease I had to clean off the wheels. And there is still a lot of grease still inside the hub and on the bearings themselves.

It's good to know that the axle isn't bad, I was kinda sure it wasn't but I haven't done anything with trailers before so this helped.

Thanks for the info.

Grease inside the hub does nothing! Is has it be between the rollers(Packed) and on the races. And yes, replace the races!
Check on youtube for how to manual pack a bearing.
If it is a HF hub you may have to replace the hub to get standerd size bearings.
Good luck and safe travels.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby noseoil » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:13 am

Our first trip out I used a small hand-held pyrometer to check the tires & hubs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3220721458 ... noapp=true

I wasn't sure about things (older trailer, new bearings & tires, etc), so it was a cheap way ($14) to make sure things were working properly. Our first trip was 1,000 miles round trip, so I was a bit paranoid on the road. I don't use it much now, but on longer trips it's a good way of checking things on the road without getting dirty or not knowing. During the summer it's a must-have for me as I can check the truck & trailer in a minute or two, just to be sure.

The first place I saw one being used was on the way back down from Pikes Peak when we visited our son at his post in Colorado Springs (4th ID). The forest service used one at a check-point to ping brake rotors after a long stretch. Ours were 78 degrees (1st gear, down hill). I asked about the record & it was 475 degrees & burnt out brakes that day. Car was parked & waiting for a tow truck & ride down the mountain!

Anyway, it's a good way to check things & not too expensive for knowing what's happening inside the hub when travelling.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals