Jeremy from Janesville, WI Build Journal

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Jeremy from Janesville, WI Build Journal

Postby skinnedknuckles » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:36 pm

Hi Jeremy,
Looking great :applause: I put my L.E.D. side marker lights on the side of the body well sealed with Sikaflex 221. Mainly to get them up closer to the line of sight of oncoming drivers. I could have just welded tabs under the frame but I figured that would be too low.
Have fun, Paul
skinnedknuckles
Teardrop Master

Postby 5speedsoffury » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:26 pm

skinnedknuckles wrote:Hi Jeremy,
Looking great :applause: I put my L.E.D. side marker lights on the side of the body well sealed with Sikaflex 221. Mainly to get them up closer to the line of sight of oncoming drivers. I could have just welded tabs under the frame but I figured that would be too low.
Have fun, Paul

Thanks Paul!

That is good enough excuse for me! I am looking at some nice Optronics led lights on Etrailer. I will pull the trigger soon enough.

I do like the idea of a star gazer window for the ceiling. Placement is going to be key! I also need to figure out some vents to equalize air pressure. Any recommendations on vents or any of this will be greatly appreciated.

I am also leaning back to production doors. I like the simplicity and verified seal. I watch and read so much regret about not buying production doors. It is almost making production doors worth the cash. Also with cutting into my 5x10 ply I am finding large ply voids in some areas. It's nothing that I can't repair but just makes me question making doors out of the cutouts which may want to wander and warp. I like the large windows in production doors. So if I were to make my own the window would be at least $65 alone without a trim ring. Plus hardware, latch, trim(optional), epoxy, hinge(s) etc etc. Plus if I totally mess one up or it warps, well you all get the point. My ONLY hesitation with production doors is the size. I REALLY want taller doors than 36" if I were to make my own I was thinking 46 to 48 inches tall and 30 inches wide. Oh and the wife really wants black doors for some reason. Something about she likes the contrast. I would be more willing to shell out 350 a door if it was taller. Hmmm maybe I need to venture to a local rv shop and see if they have any takeout doors I could take of their hands for cheap/free. Maybe I could resize a rv door to my liking.

Sorry for the ramble but even when I am not working on the teardrop my mind is racing ideas around and around.

Jeremy
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 5speedsoffury » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:54 pm

Hi all!

I should preface this post by saying it is not really related to teardrop construction. It is however related to garage organization and dust collection.

I have decided to redesign my dust deputy cyclone setup. This is version # 3. I am using up some scrap lumber I have. Like some warped plywood 2 x 4 scraps from the car tree project. The goal is to make it easier to access the shop vacuum, smaller/less tippy/ fit in along my cabinet wall, and easy to empty/remove the hoses. I am also designing in longer 90° connections to avoid clogs. I will put up some pictures soon. Tonight I got frustrated that I built the cabinet for the shop vacuum ~3/16" out of square and finally realized it when I set the top on. :x :x Oh well the mark of a true craftsman is covering up your mistakes. I glued on some additional wood and will trim up the top tomorrow.

Hopefully some pictures soon too!

I need to work on the garage organization so that I can move around and build the teardrop in my tiny single car garage.

Jeremy
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 5speedsoffury » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:18 pm

Hi all

Here is the picture as promised of the 3rd version of my dust deputy cyclone setup. It's coming along nicely. I am going to add in 2 more fernco couplers one on the vertical pvc and one on the horizontal suction tubing. This will allow for adjustment and easy removal of the bin lid for disposal of the sawdust and chips. I am sure I will make revisions to this design but I really do like how it is coming together!

Jeremy

5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 5speedsoffury » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:13 pm

Hi all,

Here is a quick pic of the 90% complete and functional dust deputy cyclone separator. I need to make some tweeks and finish insulation but it works great!

Edit* I promise to get back to the build. I have a bad tendency to get sidetracked and start other projects. I did want to improve this tool though because it is one of the most useful tools I have in my little garage. I am going to take time to do little projects like this along the way and like the idea of tracking them in my posts. I'm sorry if this bores others. I soon hope to rebuild my strip sander as making a few trweaks to it now will greatly improve its usefulness and lifespan.
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 5speedsoffury » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:38 pm

Hi all!

It was a great weekend! On Saturday I was able to venture up to Bikeorama and the Tiny Camper Show that was held up the Alliant Energy Center buildings. I kind of wanted to drop into Canoecopia and See Todd with TCTeardrops. I was hoping to say hi and possibly check to see if I could obtain some materials from him. I was not really interested in spending $15 a ticket for my wife and I to go in just for that though. I do appreciate canoes and kayaks but not really into the buying mode right now in that sport. Anyhow I was able to look at many different models of tiny campers and teardrops and get some ideas. I really like the windows the new T@B campers have they look awesome and are very functional! I they do tip out and create an obstacle to go around but sure do let in alot of light and air!

This afternoon I took to reworking the shape of the entry door. I took some crucial measurements and came up with this cardboard mockup. I also made the commitment and enlarged the cutout above the door. This door mimics the shape of the Atma Travelear that I like so much!

I have also decided to run every last wire I need up through the roof spars in tubing. the only wiring I will need for the walls is the side marker lights and the porch light.

Jeremy

5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby skinnedknuckles » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:41 pm

Jeremy,
It sure was decent out Saturday. I also went up to Canoeopia and bike sale and the small trailer show Friday and Saturday. TCTeardrops had a nice booth set up also there was a new teardrop from Chesapeake light craft that looked interesting ( they are offering it as a kit without trailer frame). I looked at the small trailers too. How did you like the different shaped trailers that were there. I like that front tilt out window too on the Tabs. You are getting closer, measure twice and double check to make sure that the doors will fit right Looks good :thumbsup: . I am skinning right now and making a mess with the sealer, I would like mine to be done next month in time for Cooler by the Lake up by Sheboygan. I did the same with the wires, just a few in the roof ( I just kept a distance of 6" from the one side so I knew exactly where the wires were so I would not run a screw thru them ) And I used straight line wiring grooves in the sides (that are marked on my side template too) to hold the wires for my sidemarkers. I did not run a wire for porch lights ,I wanted to see if I wanted them. Easy enough to change my mind later, just run the wire from my indirect interior lighting switch pods to the outside for a light.
Have fun,
Paul
skinnedknuckles
Teardrop Master

Postby 5speedsoffury » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:01 pm

skinnedknuckles wrote:Jeremy,
It sure was decent out Saturday. I also went up to Canoeopia and bike sale and the small trailer show Friday and Saturday. TCTeardrops had a nice booth set up also there was a new teardrop from Chesapeake light craft that looked interesting ( they are offering it as a kit without trailer frame). I looked at the small trailers too. How did you like the different shaped trailers that were there. I like that front tilt out window too on the Tabs. You are getting closer, measure twice and double check to make sure that the doors will fit right Looks good :thumbsup: . I am skinning right now and making a mess with the sealer, I would like mine to be done next month in time for Cooler by the Lake up by Sheboygan.
Have fun,
Paul

Awesome glad you are getting close! I really liked the T@B windows too! I also really liked the Vintage campers they had at the show.

I am leaning towards 1/4 inch ply for my trailer walls. I will use 1/8 inch for the ceiling though! Maybe in the next build but not this one! I need to buy at least 4 sheets. Really wish I had a truck or larger van to haul them but all I have is my RAV4 and roof racks. I have hauled lots of stuff on top so it should be no issue.

Things have slowed down for me as I have been tinkering with the ShopSmith and getting that tweaked into good running condition and ordering in the updated drive parts I found on eBay. The old gilmer drive system is worn out!

I also just got in a little fender bender so I am having to divert some funds to that for this month. :( luckily I can do the repairs. It just comes down to time and money.
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 5speedsoffury » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:51 pm

Hi all!
The Rav4 is all fixed up finally. Luckily I was able to do the repairs with the insurance payout over my deductible. New aftermarket bumper and some new oem brackets. Luckily I was able to get the bumper painted and shipped in for under $250.

OK onto progress. I did make the order for some 1/8" Baltic Birch from Marking Homeworks and Lumber. Jeff has been great to deal with and I am getting some BB/BB grade 5x5 sheets for under $16 bucks. I figure this is fair for the quality (3-6 color matched patches per side) and being that it is special order. Plus they are less than a mile from me. I also picked up a 5510se California Air Tools air compressor from Menards as well as a air 50' air hose and some fittings. I am going to pick up a WEN air stapler from Amazon here soon as well. I want to get things rounded up for when the plywood gets in in about a week.
I have put some thought into the attachment of the plywood. I really want to use the staples just to clamp the wood down and then remove them and fill the holes. I am thinking about cutting out some strips to use as "staplers" I figure this would allow for easier removal of the staples with less damage to the plywood. I am looking for suggestions with this. Anybody want to pipe in on this?
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:42 pm

I could never get my crappy little staple gun to shoot to a consistent depth, and even when I could the depressions were more work to fill.

What I ended up liking best was to cut a drop strip of the same 5mm ply I used into approximately 1-1/2 squares then use them as temporary washers with #6 FH screws.

The wood washers kept the FH screws from pulling thru on dry fits and from the strain of pulling the skins to the profile curves; and if I wanted to run the screws back in after the cure they would run a little deeper without the washers making sure that the screws still bit on the second run.

If you want to rely on the glue and pull the screws out, you could use drywall screws. They would leave a very small hole to fill.

Depending on the springiness your ply and curves, staples may not be enough to hold.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby 5speedsoffury » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:32 pm

Thanks for that suggestion KC! I think I will see what screws I can find. I don't have any short flange head screws. Would it be fine to just use the template in place of the wood washers? I have a 1/4 tiger ply template that think would work great for screw clamping the plywood on. I like the idea of using this because I will be able to know right where the skeleton is under the plywood. Maybe a 6 inch screw distance to provide ample clamping force.
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 5speedsoffury » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:10 pm

OK so I have now in my possession. 1 case of 12 PL Premium regular size, 200 1" GRK cabinet screws and 7/8" fender washers, 10 sheets of 5'x5'x1/4" beautiful Baltic Birch. Ordered 1/8" got 1/4" weight wise not happy but every other way more than satisfied. The quality looks A+! Plus at a steal! I am now planning course of action for attachment. I am thinking 5" spacing on screw washer combination. And making sure to spread the bead of PL out before setting the plywood on top. Once the ply is down... I plan to lay the template over top line it up and put screws in pre marked and drilled holes. Anybody see any issue with this or should I just gather weight and try to evenly distribute that?
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:23 pm

You should at least pin it at a few locations to that it doesn't squish around and move under the weights. You'll think you've got it lined up just the way you want, but when you come back, if you don't pin it, you'll find that it has squirmed around under the weight and things will be off.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby 5speedsoffury » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:22 pm

Hi all!
Exciting news! I have started to glue the plywood to the inside of the skeletons. I am using the PL Premium and it is working great!

I also have fashioned a heavy duty spreader/ trowel. I used some of the HDPE plastic to make it. I had used a credit card version of this for the first gluing. It worked but was very week. I got the idea to make this and it worked like a dream!

Also if any of you could provide some advice to a tiny house forum similar to this I would greatly appreciate it! The wife and I are looking into building or renovating a tiny house in the near future. With that being said I would like to start researching in my "free time" for helpful tips, ideas and plans. I know this will be a bigger job than a teardrop but many of the same ideas come into play. Plus I am enjoying the heck out of this kind of work! Putting the thought of another large project on the to do list gives me the drive I need to stay driven on this project so I can hone my skills and continue onto the next one.
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 5speedsoffury » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi all!

I figured I would drop by and catch up the readers. I have put in my advance notice with the apartment complex and work. My wife and I will be moving to the Stevens Point area and hopefully I will transfer within my company. I have already put my notice in with the employer and let them know what I hope to do. I am fairly confident that I will be able do it I just need the approval from the big man himself :worship:

Update on progress: I did get the interior baltic birch all installed. I only used two screws per panel, rolled it down with the rolling pin and then piled small sheets of osb and lots of water jugs and weights on top.

With that being said I need to make a good hard push with the trailer to get it ready for a move. I could move it as is but I want to get the sides up and roof done. I just ordered some Optronics led lights from Etrailer so I can plan their location on the sides and get the skins done for the exterior.

So many things are running through my mind with the upcoming move that it is hard to concentrate but I need to get back into the shop for my own sanity and the wife's. I hope to have some pictures up and more interesting posts to follow but for now I just wanted to touch base with all of you and let you know where things stand for progress. I am sure looking back years from now on this blog will be very interesting to read.

Jeremy
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals