From The ashes

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

From The ashes

Postby flyguide » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:16 pm

So 3 years ago I buy a 2008 6 wide sport from a guy in the Catskills. Good price and I have used it alot because I go fishing all over the place. Took the front end of trailer and instead of loading Quads on it I fastened some old Job boxes that I had and filled them with the stuff I need camping and fishing, it worked very well. Since I have owned this trailer I have small leaks and have patched all as I found them.

Last weekend went to Salem Mass. and stayed a week. When I arrived home i found that one of the walls had separated from the floor and rear wall. So I go to fix it and the more I delve the more rotten stuff I find. Long story short, I went down to the metal frame.

I have been on this site for some years and have watched builds from a distances and now must start my own. I started asking for some direction and was answered by many knowledgeable people.Herehttp://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64111
So here we go for this ride. FROM THE ASHES. My PHOENIX!

First The tear down.

The walls are 3/4" ply and just fastened to to frame with metal screws.

You can see in this pic that I was getting ready to install a galley in the rear.

Finally down to the frame.

Built a frame and two coats of the nasty roof tar.
Mounted the frame to the chassis

Laid 3/4 plywood and Congoleum on top of that.

So this is what I've done so far. I'm preparing the side walls now and designing the electrical circiuts :)
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Re: From The ashes

Postby flyguide » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:27 pm

Sorry. Forgot to add. Please feel free to give me advise. I need it. LOL
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby SeaFlea » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:22 pm

Nice to see ya made it to T&TT, Frank!! :applause:
This crowd is photo hungry, best not to stop!!
:beer:
SeaFlea
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebapuck » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:30 pm

Having used a TD, you should know exactly what you want in the new one. So, you are ahead of the game.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby flyguide » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:45 am

Thanks Guys. Yes I know what I want. I'm having trouble with the large amount of information on this site.
This site is so info rich that deciphering whats important to my build and whats not is tough.
Thanks in advance for the criticism and advise.
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby booyah » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:03 am

Came here from your other thread, so I figured I state my answers to some of your questions there here.

On my build, I opted for a mix of strong outer walls with insulation, and settled on 3/8" ACX external walls, lined with 1x2s (ripped down from 1x6s) and lined on the interior with 1/4 luan plywood. Stiff, strong, light (enough) and pretty decently warm and sound deadening. If I were to do it again, I probably would do the 3/4" plywood skeletonized packed with insulation, and 1/4" sheets on the outside. Lining the walls, and running them down with the router was a slow and difficult process, I suspect that the 3/4" skeletonized and 1/4" sheets (or even 1/8") would be significantly faster, and probably similar insulation value and weight.

As far as hatch leaks, I built my hatch to sit flush, then sealed the edges with weather stripping. Its only a few months old, but its been in two torrential rains, one while towing (Kids called it the "Hurricane simulator"), and one day of solid freeway towing while a constant rain, with no leaks found so far. My hatch design was without a notch, with a flush hatch hinge, and a hatch that overlapped the walls, then trimmed flush with a flush trim bit. Weatherproof-ness was very important to me, as I wanted to build mine right, and not worry about it much for the next 20 years :D
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby flyguide » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:02 pm

Booyah just came in for some lunch. Looked at your build. Nice and simple, I like that.

I decided to keep the original shape not the best but it works well on a 7 ft long chassis. I will do the frame today taking mind the shelving and cabinets i want to install.
I'll post them tonight, so maybe I can get some critics and improvements.
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby flyguide » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:15 pm

Cut the walls today and framed and insulated one side.

Between the saws and router, made a few pounds of saw dust.
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby felixx » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:23 pm

good man.. coming together well
felixx
Donating Member

Postby flyguide » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:21 am

Thanks Felixx. I think all will go well till the hatch. Still unsure of the detailed design. Looked at your build and your details have helped.
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:28 pm

You're getting things done fast! Something tells me that you know exactly what you are doing! :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby flyguide » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:12 am

S. Heisley wrote:You're getting things done fast! Something tells me that you know exactly what you are doing! :)

I wish I knew what I was doing. I'm trying to think 5 steps ahead of myself.
I was a firefighter for 30 years and did general contracting. So I understand construction and process.
Buildings are made to stand, not travel down the road at 60 MPH. LOL! I'll continue to plan and think ahead.
Taking a few days of to go fly-fishing in the Catskill Mts. Recharge the batteries.
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:39 am

Taking a few days of to go fly-fishing in the Catskill Mts. Recharge the batteries.

Hopefully there's some surface activity.

Anywho... now that you've torn down a leaky teardrop, what are you going to do with the new build to avoid the leaks in the future? I think we can all learn from someone else's past mistakes. (and I realize you didn't build your first 'drop)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby flyguide » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:27 pm

tony.latham wrote:

Hopefully there's some surface activity.

Anywho... now that you've torn down a leaky teardrop, what are you going to do with the new build to avoid the leaks in the future? I think we can all learn from someone else's past mistakes. (and I realize you didn't build your first 'drop)

Tony

Tony I first started by waterproofing the under frame. All wood has been waterproofed also. The fiberglass that sheathed it was stapled to the frame work. Not enough spars were installed. There were puddle points and joints where flex points are.
All of this will be corrected on this build.
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:38 pm

Using "the mix," or epoxy to waterproof with?

Now, git your gear and git.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals