From The ashes

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: From The ashes

Postby ELM » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:29 pm

Something like this might work also. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/universal-shark-fin-antenna
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby flyguide » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:30 pm

aggie79 wrote:
flyguide wrote:I have been researching radio antennas. Does any one have a suggesting for an antenna, that wont put a hole in the beautiful alum skin I just put on?

I know you said you didn't want to put any holes in the aluminum, but I used this outside-mounted antenna:

The design fits the retro nature of the teardrop. The antenna seals really well to the side - no leaks - and has great reception.

I like that classic retro look. Nice.
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby flyguide » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:32 pm

ELM wrote:Something like this might work also. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/universal-shark-fin-antenna

I like the profile . Stream lined and low.
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby flyguide » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:12 pm

Finally back from fly fishing the Catskills. I did the roof side trim today. Pics didn't come out good so I'll take more tomorrow.
I will have the hatch on and water tight by tomorrow also.
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:14 pm

Yeah but, did you catch any fish? :thinking:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby flyguide » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:01 pm

Caught plenty of trout. Even had a slam one day.(Brookie, Brown, Rainbow)
Then I stopped for a Pic with the Bandits of the Beaverkill. Thats me on the left.

flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby brx017 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:15 pm

flyguide wrote:

Thanks ELM these are some of the antennas I've been looking at. I was wondering if any body has tried these?
Second coat of paint on fenders. They'll be ready to hang when I get back.

Also whats is the best way to apply the trim with butyl tape? Do I cover the sides and roof? Do I fill the small seam that was created by routing with chalk first? Someone?
Going back up to camp for another round of fishing. If I keep going fishing I'll never get this done. LOL

If I knew retirement was this much fun,
I would have done it at 21.

I bought one of the Metra 44-UA20 antennas for my Nissan Hardbody Pickup to replace my old broken antenna, so I wouldn't have to take my fender off. I just stuck it on top of my dashboard. Can't say I am impressed by the reception, but my Pioneer headunit has a pretty weak radio anyways.

I did buy one of the stubby roof mount amplified antennas for another vehicle once, just a cheapo off eBay, and that thing picked up channels I didn't even know existed. If I remember correctly it was designed for a mid-2000s VW GTI.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby flyguide » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:05 pm

aggie79 wrote:
flyguide wrote:I have been researching radio antennas. Does any one have a suggesting for an antenna, that wont put a hole in the beautiful alum skin I just put on?

I know you said you didn't want to put any holes in the aluminum, but I used this outside-mounted antenna:

The design fits the retro nature of the teardrop. The antenna seals really well to the side - no leaks - and has great reception.

So where did this antenna come from?
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby flyguide » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:48 pm

So got up this morning and had help from my fishing buddy Jim. He showed up around 9 and we got right on the hatch.

We finished it up and Jim had a doctors appt. So I decided to work on the last of the trim. I ran in to a problem that needs a little more thought. Joining the rear bottom trim and I didn't feel like get the miter saw out of the garage.

The fenders were ready to go and I thought I would do some work on them. I finished the marker lights the other day and knew they worked. Decided to test all circuits for fender lights before going to far. NOTHING! Since I ran a Neg/Pos wire to each light I realized that the lighting circiuts were not grounded to the chassis. Remedied that in a couple minutes and all tested good. The TT is still up on jack stands so when I let it down the wheel will drop backward about and inch and a half to even it up to the fender.

I love these new LED lights very little draw. Since all lights on the TT are now LED I should get a long time on battery power. I unplugged the battery today with all systems off, I noticed that there is something still drawing power when it crackled upon fuse removal. The only Acc that should have a draw is the memory for the radio. I'm going to get my meter across the fuse panel and disconnect each Acc one at a time to detemine which is drawing power and how much.

I'm coming down to the wire folks. Tomorrow or Thursday I bring it for state inspection. I'll start the finished work on the interior when I clean up some odds and ends on the exterior. I also have to measure for curtains or blinds to cover door.
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:21 pm

I have been following this story and build, and just gotta say, Ya done Good !
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:18 pm

Nice work! :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby flyguide » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:24 am

Thank you very much.
I have metered my parasitic drain it is 167 milliamp. Is this an acceptable range?
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby Graniterich » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:16 pm

Not for me. That is four amps per day!

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:55 pm

flyguide wrote:
aggie79 wrote:

http://lbcunited.com/earlyford2/product_info.php/cPath/29_62/products_id/5794?osCsid=4b35c25351ebea1654db22b45a7bbac9
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby flyguide » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:39 pm

aggie79 wrote:
flyguide wrote:
aggie79 wrote:

http://lbcunited.com/earlyford2/product_info.php/cPath/29_62/products_id/5794?osCsid=4b35c25351ebea1654db22b45a7bbac9

Thank you this is a top contender.
flyguide
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals