How I amazed myself. First build success.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: How I amazed myself. First build success.

Postby Kanook » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:27 pm

daveesl77 wrote:That is such a nice, classic design and just a beauty! The great part about these that we build is that you have the only one like it. There may or may not be some that might look a bit like it, but each of our homebuilds is unique. You know exactly how it was built, you built it to your own specifications and desires. This is why I love these campers and you have a really nice one!

:applause:

dave

Thanks. I definitely took inspiration from many other designs but love it's uniqueness.
Kanook
Teardrop Advisor

Postby felixx » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:25 pm

she is beautiful. Well done
felixx
Donating Member

Postby Kanook » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:26 am

vegask wrote:I like. Can I ask where you sourced those LEDs?

Here are the lights I used. The porch/door lights and the two for the galley. The ones for the doors are obviously made for interior use but since I gutted the internal AC to DC converter and the LEDs appear to be sealed there's not much that would be damaged from moisture. The galley lights work well and are slightly adjustable but I may add 2 more before I skin the interior hatch.

ProDeals 6W(2*3W) white LED Wall Sconces Light Fixture Hardwired Angle-adjustable for Theater Studio Store Hall Porch Corridor Bedside Bedroom Mirror-light (Cool white(black base)) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OQ0INEK/re ... iwbHT0GS90

Brightsky 1w White LED Mini Surface Mounted Light Jewelry Cabinet Lamp Spotlight Ac85-265v https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HDDU1OW/re ... iwbVZK6JVD
Kanook
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebapuck » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Beautiful. Now tell the wife to make a sturdy sunproof curtain for that stargazer or her lovely linens will be eaten by the sun.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Kanook » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:34 pm

rebapuck wrote:Beautiful. Now tell the wife to make a sturdy sunproof curtain for that stargazer or her lovely linens will be eaten by the sun.

Absolutely. And hopefully a curtain will also help keep it cooler inside during the day. That's the plan for tomorrow's tinkering, curtains and curtain rods and figuring out what lift struts I'll need for the hatch.
Kanook
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kanook » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:54 am

I finally sat down to add up receipts and I doubled what I thought I could build this trailer for. And it's not completely done yet. I figured $1200-$1500 could do it but I guess I didn't try too hard to source out the best deals all the time. Oh well, I guess you can't always put a price on current enjoyment and the enjoyment for years to come.
Kanook
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rivernstream » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:32 pm

I love this build. It is very close to what I'd like to do. Especially the stargazer window. Can you provide a little more detail on what you did for flashing (may not be the right term) to protect it from leaking. What thickness was the acrylic that you used and what was used to attach it to the framing? It looks like you built out framing for it . A tutorial would be terrific! Also who's template did you use? So far the basic Grumman 2 in the design library is what makes the most sense to me.
rivernstream
Gold Donating Member

Postby Kanook » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:24 pm

rivernstream wrote:I love this build. It is very close to what I'd like to do. Especially the stargazer window. Can you provide a little more detail on what you did for flashing (may not be the right term) to protect it from leaking. What thickness was the acrylic that you used and what was used to attach it to the framing? It looks like you built out framing for it . A tutorial would be terrific! Also who's template did you use? So far the basic Grumman 2 in the design library is what makes the most sense to me.

thanks.
For the window originally I tried to use 1/4 plexiglass. I built a jig at the correct bend in an attempt to form the plexiglass with heat. That's the pictures of the window on the ground clamped to the jig. It ended up being a disaster so I scraped that. I then went with 1/8" acrylic and didn't pre-bend it. I drilled and countersunk holes along both sides of the acrylic about every 2". The roof was then skinned with aluminum. From hatch hinge to window opening and from opening down the front making sure to keep the aluminum flush with the fore and aft window opening roof spars. I ran a bead of caulk on the top edge of the walls where the acrylic sits and then screwed the acrylic into place both sides one screw at a time letting the acrylic bend to the curve. The acrylic is the same width as the roof but I left 1/8" gap between the acrylic and the fore and aft roof spars. I then put on butyl tape and screwed down the roof edge trim. The roof was done except the two 1/8" gaps fore and aft the window. I placed butyl tape on each side of the 1/8" openings and then used offset T trim cut to the correct length. The longer part of the offset T trim I used over the acrylic and the shorter obviously on the aluminum roof skin. With help from my wife I had her on the outside put pressure on the trim and inside the teardrop I used my pin nailer and put a nail through the aluminum T and into the roof spars. We did this technique all along both pieces. For extra support in the middle of the window I cut a wood rib and glued and nailed it between the roof spars in the middle.
I hope that makes sense. Feel free to ask any other questions.
Kanook
Teardrop Advisor

How I amazed myself. First build success.

Postby Kanook » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:32 pm

rivernstream wrote:I love this build. It is very close to what I'd like to do. Especially the stargazer window. Can you provide a little more detail on what you did for flashing (may not be the right term) to protect it from leaking. What thickness was the acrylic that you used and what was used to attach it to the framing? It looks like you built out framing for it . A tutorial would be terrific! Also who's template did you use? So far the basic Grumman 2 in the design library is what makes the most sense to me.

And for the design I copied this members profile.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t
He had it laid out on graph paper so it was easy to transfer to my plywood sides. The only change I made was to bring the front straight down rather than curve back under.
Kanook
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jnelson » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:22 am

Kanook wrote:And pull out bins for shoes.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444719255.547468.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444719268.939208.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444719280.741551.jpg

Cool Idea! :thumbsup: Good work on the build
jnelson
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kanook » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:00 am

jnelson wrote:
Kanook wrote:And pull out bins for shoes.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444719255.547468.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444719268.939208.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444719280.741551.jpg

Cool Idea! :thumbsup: Good work on the build

Thanks.
Yeah with such limited space I thought I'd better use what I can.
Kanook
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Build Journals