Kenskill style build in Delavan, WI (Now Cub Modern)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Kenskill style build in Delavan, WI (Now Cub Modern)

Postby breb » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:07 am

You are making good progress . It helps to have that stretch of time to devote to the TD. I worked yesterday on the bench seat I have incorporated into my design. For those rainy days the option to crawl in and batten down the hatches sounded good. Mocking up your bulk head and cabinet is the next inline for me and must make a run to lumber mill for material. I was going to bore out 2 finger holes on both sides but decided to wait till I installed floor covering on that piece and the rest of floor.

breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:29 pm

Breb,

Your trailer is progressing nice too. I see you have a door fit in place too
I am amazed each time I accomplish a lot, how much more there is to go. I'm a long time avid DIY kinda guy. Not my first rodeo.

I always tell my girlfriend this is a classic case of under estimation. I had deluded myself at first that I would "knock this out" in under 90 to 120days or so. HAAAAA........

May you make some smooth and easy progress!
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:47 pm

Yes the door is just mocked up to show off some progress to a relative that stopped buy. Planning on aluminum exterior so
all pieces that get installed after siding is applied are waiting in the staging area. Doors, stargazer window , Vent , dome and porch lights. And a big affirmative on the length of time left over . In the back of my mind I said a year and a half (2.5 now). There was no definite time line but as this goes on I see a whole lot of work that remains. No plans or prints ( lots of sketching) just flying by the seat of my pants and I think this is a culprit when it comes to expediting. Having to think about your next move 2 or 3 times well maybe 9 or 10 and it's caused me to stall on occasion. You planning on finishing by spring? I haven't bought the hurricane hinge yet and haven't begun to think to much about the hatch. A lot of wiring to consider. Keep plugging.

breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:48 pm

Day 2

Spent today on my headboard bulkhead and front cabinet sides. The headboard will have a group 24 AGM battery.

I have planned the battery and spare tire to be inside the trailer. Just want the clean exterior design lines. No boxes, tires, bottles, or what not on the front of this tear.

Tomorrow I am going to work on the oak hatch spar beam and hatch hinge. I have a 6ft aluminum piano hinge, a 10ft strip of 4" wide neoprene rubber that I am using. While working on the tear I saw a good way to get a good sized oak beam as the leading hatch edge. I'm anxious to try. So that will be for Day 3.

Side note: Been working with a hanger on of a week old chest cold. Lottsa coughing and some missing energy.

DSCF3683a.jpg
headboard
DSCF3683a.jpg (89.91 KiB) Viewed 3779 times

DSCF3681a.jpg
All parts cut-half glued up-more gluing tomorrow
DSCF3681a.jpg (99.4 KiB) Viewed 3779 times

DSCF3685a.jpg
headboard-teardrop-headboard closet and battery box
DSCF3685a.jpg (109.75 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:35 am

I've used that hinge setup in an aluminum hood I fabbed for a single place aluminum snowmobile trailer. The hood covered
the nose and sides of sled, basically the hood and windshield. The whole hood tilled up and forward and was hinged at the nose of trailer with a piano hinge. To prevent corrosion , dirt, grit ,snow and ice from jazzing up the hinge I used a 4" or 6" wide SBR red rubber gasket material ( good to -22 to over 100 degrees and very weather tolerant) it worked well and for many years. The trailer is 52" wide and so was the hood. I did use 2 strips of aluminum on top of gasket material on either side of hinge to hold down. The hatch spar was a point of contention with myself. instead of using
poplar like i did with all other spars (1.5 x 1.75 ) I used a hard maple 2.0 x 1.75 . I like your trailer profile and i see you have
your hatch side piece cut out. Almost time to reserve a camping sight.
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:42 pm

Oh Man!! I'm a long way from needing a camping site that's for sure.

Spent the morning of Day 3 fitting my hatch sides to body. Did both sides. Still lot's more fitting work to go. I'm getting tired of it. I'm also getting better at it. So a fair trade off I guess

DSCF3689a.jpg
Fitting exterior hatch side
DSCF3689a.jpg (61.66 KiB) Viewed 3723 times

Angle cut oak beam for leading edge of hatch to body, notched hatch seal lip to accept beam, fit up with spacers to allow for weather strip

DSCF3692a.jpg
oak hatch beams fit and spaced for weatherstrip
DSCF3692a.jpg (58.22 KiB) Viewed 3723 times

Finished gluing headboard bulkhead together and trial fit it in place

DSCF3686a.jpg
front bulkhead trial fit
DSCF3686a.jpg (72 KiB) Viewed 3723 times

Headed back out to the garage for a few more hours
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:17 pm

This is a zero day for me. I'm at that point in the year where this project is going to slow down. Your spacing from the photo's looks spot on. Trying to see/guess what is up in the left and right corners of that bulkhead. I'm headed up northern Wis. for weekend and don't foresee any progress for at least 5 or 6 days and that is alright . Need the break. :shock:
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:16 pm

Breb-enjoy the long weekend off.

The things in the corners of the headboard are laser cut hardwood panels. The are copies of a section of Frank Lloyd Wright stained glass window. They are sold as hot pot trivets for your table.

I'm going to stretch fabric across the back of them and back light them. They are my new lampshades for the interior.

I've also removed the panel below my new lights. That is going to be a cubby for cell phones, water bottle, books etc. One on each side of the bed. The cubby will be down lit from the lamp above.

Cutting out those openings was the end of Day 3. Day 4 will see more front bulkhead work. A large lower hatch for electrical access is up next. Then fit the back half of the battery/closet cabinet to this bulkhead.

DSCF3694a.jpg
front
DSCF3694a.jpg (101 KiB) Viewed 3679 times

DSCF3695a.jpg
back
DSCF3695a.jpg (58.97 KiB) Viewed 3679 times

DSCF3697a.jpg
close
DSCF3697a.jpg (74.22 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:55 pm

End of Day 4-

A long day of the "F" word. Fitting, fitting, and more fitting. All on the bulkhead headboard. Got the upper doors fit. Cut a lower electrical service hatch and fit it too. As I did all that I realized, there is lot's more work to this panel.

I have 110v outlet boxes to install. Also 12v light dimmer, cell charger stations, and more to be fit ( there's that word again) to the bulkhead. Along with attaching it to cabinet, then stain and poly coat....I'm a long way from done on this panel.

Building from the inside out is so much better. Way easier to do this work flat on the bench than installed in the camper.

DSCF3699a.jpg
DSCF3699a.jpg (90.64 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Great accent for your interior would enjoy seeing the end result of covering and back lighting. You had me guessing. I was just out in TD looking at shelf between upper and lower cabinets . Dead center will be mounted a 12v power port and a AC outlet. So I was just looking at options in marine supply. Need 2 of them probably with the volt meter incorporated into the same panel. Was going to travel this afternoon but pushed it back a day for weather reasons. Now finding something to fill up afternoon.
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:53 am

Day 5- Not a good day. The chest cold I have really acted up. I got less than 4 hours or so of work in. Had to go in the house and rest. Just out of steam. I did get the front lower skirt on the trailer and the mount brackets made and attached to the headboard. Got the headboard fit to the trailer walls too.

Day 6- Feel better after yesterdays rest. Been working more on the headboard. Got the 110v outlet boxes installed. Next up is both 12v switches for outside porch lights and a dimmer switch for both headboard lamps.

Also have a side trip planned for today. Going to look at another moldy oldy camper. I had an awesome canned ham camper years back that I had to sell at one point in time. I have been looking for some time. They have gotten nuts with prices. So we shall see if this is the one or not. I am still gung ho on the tear. I won't start work on the other till the tear is completed. However if it's the right one, at the right price, I have the room to park it at my house. We shall see.

Couple shots of the prospective camper
Attachments
00a0a_2oIrFYlUJoL_1200x900.jpg
00a0a_2oIrFYlUJoL_1200x900.jpg (114.1 KiB) Viewed 3603 times
00f0f_8pwBgXhpHaX_1200x900.jpg
00f0f_8pwBgXhpHaX_1200x900.jpg (179.96 KiB) Viewed 3603 times
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:54 pm

As I had feared...I am now the proud new owner of a 1968 FAN Style Liner camper as seen above.

It is an awesome collection of vintage parts in great shape. So going to park it in the yard. Then back full steam ahead on the teardrop. When the time is right I will have an awesome starting point for a very cool standie trailer.
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Still chipping away at the front bulkhead cabinet. Got the components for the 110v and 12v wiring in place. Attached the front closet/battery cabinet to the bulkhead for good. Have 2-3 more shelves and 2 lower wiring panels to install in that cabinet yet.

What a time sink this has been. Lots of fussy details to it.

DSCF3702a.jpg
front
DSCF3702a.jpg (83.62 KiB) Viewed 3557 times

DSCF3705a.jpg
3/4
DSCF3705a.jpg (132.17 KiB) Viewed 3557 times

DSCF3706a.jpg
DSCF3706a.jpg (74.7 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:55 am

Back in town and viewing your progress . I think the details that you incorporated into your build are what makes it
unique and a solid build. Definitely time consuming . It might be small details for me today. To many trees cleared/cut
and hauled off to side add up to soar muscles . Mother nature told me 25 trees was the very detail I needed to make my weekend feel at one with her. Are you heated in your work space ? Mine isn't so will need at some point to do what i can in basement . My TD project is half in and half out of my garage. When I start I must pull out some lawn cutting equipment
and other items just to get started . That won't happen during winter and it drives me nuts.
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:24 pm

25 trees sounds like a Paul Bunyon lumber jack kind of weekend.

No heat in my garage. I work out there down to 40 degrees. Has to be something special to get me to work out there any colder than that.

I have to set up my space to work like you do. move 2 saws around. Sometimes the mower.
The tear took up the most space when I had both it's walls flat on the sawhorses.

As I work on it you can feel the whole structure get more solid with each new structure added to it.
It got a lot stiffer with the new front cabinet mocked in.

My teardrop staycation is over today Day 9. I worked 7days on my tear out of the 9. Pretty good.
One day was a sick day. One day was a field trip to purchase a canned ham project trailer.
I had a great time.
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals