Building the Ptrail'R in the Netherlands

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Building the Ptrail'R in the Netherlands

Postby piter92 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:16 pm

Hello Everybody,

First of all I would like to introduce myself, I am Piter from the Netherlands, 23 years old. One year ago I started thinking about building a teardrop trailer. After some research I found some aspects that I really like, and with that bagage I started sketching and drawing.

After a couple of sketches my design looked like this:

I have been engineering this for a while and the result is the following section:

After this I ordered the first materials:

And got me some nice rims:

With some welding-help from my dad we created the steel frame:

After that I painted some 2 components primer on it and at this moment I am painting the whole frame in RAL 7016. (also 2-component):
Image Image

From now on I have to produce a couple of CNC files for the miller-guy, so I can start with the plywood.

I am curious for your response!

I will keep you up to date!

Regards piter 8)

EDIT 22 November, 2015

Hi everyone,

The last couple of weeks I've been busy to complete the chassis. After the painting work it was time to put the axle on it, and also the supports on the back. The axle is a KNOTT 850kg, size from flange to flange is 1850mm. At this point the chassis looked like this:

From there on I put the wheels on it, with some aluminium spacers 10mm each, to create some more space between the tires for the wooden body! With the wheels on it, it starts to take shape, have a look:

After that we started with the water resistant plywood sheet on bottom of the chassis, and the wooden frame for the insulation and electronics:

For the insulation we've used some expanded polystyrene (EPS) sheets, 20mm thick. It is a really nice material to handle. The spaces where we did not put any insulation is the space for the electronics, maybe we will top this up later with some insulation!

Thanks for following me and I will keep you up to date!

Piter

EDIT 9 January, 2016

Hello everyone,

I did not post anything since November, but I have been working on the trailer ofcourse. Here a short update!

My brother fixing the electrics! (I have no idea what he's doing, so great thanks :D)

For the trailer I made design existing of two shells, the inner and the outer. Since the shape of the trailer was hard to cut and because it was a lot of work, I asked a CNC miller around to fix this for me. The result was this:
This is the inner shell, which is also part of the cabinets.

The outer shell will be placed on these pieces and looks like this:
In this picture the primer in the finishing color had already been applied.

Before the painting job I also made the first cabinet + doors:

Painting the inner shell also:

After painting all the pieces 2-3 times, it was time to start building! :thumbsup:

It really starts to take shape at this point, great:

Some splits for the electric wires:

And the start with the first cabinets:

As you can see I (actually we, because I got a lot of help from my family) made a lot of progress. All the building really takes more of my spare-time than i thought, but the trailer needs to be finished before July, since we are going camping to Italy or France then.

I am curious if you guys have some ideas and hints for the aluminium skirting around the trailer to connect the roof water-proof to the walls and as a guide for the tent. Did you bend those profiles yourself? I am curious for the answers!

For now you have enough information and pictures, I will keep you up to date. Thanks for following my journal.

Piter

EDIT 12 February, 2016

Hi everyone,

The laste month we've made some real progress. We placed the outer shell on the trailer and the kitchen has also been made. (not finished yet)
The electrics are almost ready, we placed one LED strip at the footboard and one at the headend. It really looks nice. Besides that the sink has been attached and the water pump has been installed, the refrigerator is also ready for use! (very important :beer:) Last things to do concerning the electrics are installing the chassis lights, the mark lights etcetera.

We also placed a piece of aluminium skirting on the trailer as you can see in the pictures. It was just to try if this would work out, and it did, so I will order two times 5m1 aluminium skirting with a tent guide. I think this will look pretty nice.

Next week we'll start with the plywood roof, a critical part of the project!

Enjoy the following pictures:

The outer shell attached:

The kitchen including the refrigerator:

Electrics in the front and the cabinet doors:

The backside including the piece of aluminium skirting and the watertap:

I will keep you up to date,

Cheers!

EDIT 22 October, 2016

Hi guys,

Long time no post. Ofcourse we have been very busy with the Pi-Trailer and finished it just before the summer, so in this post I will show you the progress until the moment of truth, camping! I'll just place the pictures from the building progress, I think they say enough. Enjoy!

The inside

Tow-ready

Electrics

The insulation in the roof

Attaching the poly-ester sheets

Done!

Ready for some real painting

Credits to my father in law

Time to place the hinges with the doors and handles:

The front compartment in the make

The aluminium trims really make the difference in my opinion, although I did not really need them for the trailer to be water proof.

Making the back cover

Done, including the handle, mounted internally

Front compartment is ready, time to place the fresh painted doors

Memorable moment, completed the job!! :applause:

Hitting the road! :lol:

Also completed the kitchen part

Trying out the tent

First day camping @Italy

Enjoying Corse (yep, a little filter down there :lol:)

So cozy

High in the skies

Retro meets Retro

We really enjoyed camping with the Pi-Trailer. There are only a couple of little improvements I want to make, but most of all it was perfect. Thanks for following my build journal, hope to inspire some people to go build one themself.

Cheers! ;)
Last edited by piter92 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
piter92
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Building the Ptrail'R in the Netherlands

Postby dogscats » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:52 pm

What did you use for the draw bar?
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:30 pm

Looks good i like your shape
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:38 pm

Looks good. :thumbsup:

Are you happy with the choice of angle steel for the trailer frame?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby piter92 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:06 am

dogscats wrote:What did you use for the draw bar?

I used a square tube (70x70mm) for the draw bar. It is quite a job to paint this profile on the inside (did this today with some red lead) :lol:, but worth the effort!

Regards Piter!
The Netherlands
piter92
Teardrop Inspector

Postby piter92 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:07 am

dales133 wrote:Looks good i like your shape

Thanks a lot! 8)
The Netherlands
piter92
Teardrop Inspector

Postby piter92 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:10 am

KCStudly wrote:Looks good. :thumbsup:

Are you happy with the choice of angle steel for the trailer frame?

Thanks for your comment! Yes I am happy with this. It is a 60x60 profile, first of all strong enough and besides that, I did not have to mitre the steel with this option. At last it is easy to paint this steel profiles from all sides contrary to square tubes.

^Piter
The Netherlands
piter92
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dales133 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:10 am

piter92 wrote:
dales133 wrote:Looks good i like your shape

Thanks a lot! 8)

Your welcome.
Im actualy just watching a double episode of borgen,
Thought you might get a kick out of someone watching dutch tv down under at 3am :)
Edit.
Opps its dainish i just discovered!
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby piter92 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:36 am

UPDATE! Look at the first post! ↑↑↑↑
The Netherlands
piter92
Teardrop Inspector

Postby noseoil » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:58 am

Piter, very nice job so far. Looks like you are doing a good job with workmanship & planning. I'm looking forward to progress & more images. Good idea about the wiring chase for later on.

One thing I noticed from your drawing, the ribs are square in section. They could be cut in half (the thickness) & still maintain enough strength (saves on weight & material costs). For example, mine were about 19mm thick & 38mm deep. They're plenty strong enough to span the 1.5m width of my build. I used a light wood (poplar) for most of them, but used some red oak where fasteners would have to be strong and not strip out in the wood fiber (hatch spars & the solar panel mount).
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:30 pm

It looks great!

You may want to put a vertical lip on your headboard shelf so all of your stuff such as books don't slide off when you're on the road.

(This was a surprise wedding gift and all that stuff on the mattress was part of the presentation.)

Also you might think about placing your last roof spar behind your upper bulkhead and cutting that spar surface to mate flush so they can be glued and screwed to each other. It'll really strengthen that spar which needs it.

I'm really happy to see another teardrop builder over yonder! :beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby piter92 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:46 pm

noseoil wrote:Piter, very nice job so far. Looks like you are doing a good job with workmanship & planning. I'm looking forward to progress & more images. Good idea about the wiring chase for later on.

One thing I noticed from your drawing, the ribs are square in section. They could be cut in half (the thickness) & still maintain enough strength (saves on weight & material costs). For example, mine were about 19mm thick & 38mm deep. They're plenty strong enough to span the 1.5m width of my build. I used a light wood (poplar) for most of them, but used some red oak where fasteners would have to be strong and not strip out in the wood fiber (hatch spars & the solar panel mount).

Thanks for your compliment and input! Very useful to have some hints from people who already have done this process before.

Yeah I should really consider this and see how it works at that point, Indeed I think a 18mm plywood will do the job for this!

Regards Piter
The Netherlands
piter92
Teardrop Inspector

Postby piter92 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:58 pm

tony.latham wrote:It looks great!

You may want to put a vertical lip on your headboard shelf so all of your stuff such as books don't slide off when you're on the road.

(This was a surprise wedding gift and all that stuff on the mattress was part of the presentation.)

Also you might think about placing your last roof spar behind your upper bulkhead and cutting that spar surface to mate flush so they can be glued and screwed to each other. It'll really strengthen that spar which needs it.

I'm really happy to see another teardrop builder over yonder! :beer:

Tony

Hi Tony!

The vertical lip is a very good idea, I will apply this in my design. The last roofspar is anyhow a point of interest because of the attachment of the hinges of the rear cover. I really have to fix this on site! I am very curious how this is going to work out.

Thanks for your input!
The Netherlands
piter92
Teardrop Inspector

Postby piter92 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:36 pm

UPDATE! Look at the first post! ↑↑↑↑ :thumbsup:
The Netherlands
piter92
Teardrop Inspector

Postby piter92 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:45 am