The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Regal Eagle Jr (#2) 5x9

Postby Gunguy05 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:56 pm

I've been a little busy the last few days, so I haven't had time to work much, BUT I did manage to get the side wall framing finished and it's drying for the night. Next step will be to trim it all back to the template with the jigsaw, and then the router.

ImageDSC00829 by gunguy05, on Flickr
Brian


Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Image
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
User avatar
Gunguy05
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 385
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm
Location: South GA

Re: The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

Postby Gunguy05 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:31 pm

Moving right along with things. I had a little time this afternoon. I was able to get the foam cut this week, and get a couple loose ends tied up on the walls before adding the pipe (pex) for the porch light switch and the porch light. (I didn't get a pic yet, but you can see it sticking out the top of the pics below).

Also, I used my template and router bit to trim off the top of the wall blocking (to be used later) 1 5/8 of an inch. This is the Steve Frederick method of framing, to which I'm hooked on! This is the sum of the roof spars and the inside ceiling thickness.

One thing I did a little different. I didn't have a 1/8 diameter bit long enough to cut the piece completely so, I cut it about 1/2" deep though the 3/4 framing, then used the jib saw to effectively dado out the cut the rest of the way through. I cut one side of the cut (closest to the piece I was removing), then i cut toward the other side. This left a 1/8 wide cut, just enough for the ceiling to sit in. I am making videos on the 2nd side, which I'm finishing next. I will get some photos/video of the process then.

Next was to cut the inside finished wall boards. On our last build we used 5/16" engineered hardwood flooring. Mainly for the stability and ease of already being finished. This time dad wants a knotty pine (which is difficult to find in anything thinner than 1/2). SO, we found some pine T/G board that are 5/16 at the big orange store and they are working out great. We will have to finish them with poly, buy I can handle that. I'm looking forward to seeing how they look when finished.

ImagePine cut for inside by gunguy05, on Flickr

ImagePine cut for inside 2 by gunguy05, on Flickr

One thing I noticed about the pine board is that they are VERY light. I'm guessing they only add 15 pounds or so, maybe less, to each wall. The engineered flooring was MUCH denser and heavier.
Brian


Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Image
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
User avatar
Gunguy05
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 385
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm
Location: South GA

Re: The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

Postby Gunguy05 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:52 pm

I haven't had a lot of time to to anything major in the last few days. Just a little stuff here and there.

I did manage to get the trailer assembly started yesterday, and then some other odds and ends.

Also, I have decided to do a video series documenting my build. I'm a little rusty on the video camera, but it's for documentation/info purposes only. I'm not trying to win a major award! :pictures:

Here's a link to my first video if you're interested, a little boring, but I talk a little bit about the basics of the template, profile etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-mqu0nMkPA

Also, here's a quick pic of the trailer frame progress. This thing goes together pretty well. Just a 10mm and a 14mm wrench and you are set. A few skinned knuckles and a few hours later and here's where i'm at to this point.

ImageIMG_20151225_232823 by gunguy05, on Flickr

I have a couple days off, and the a couple days off for the new year. So, I should be able to make a little progress. Going on a short camping trip for a couple days over NYE and New Years day... so we will be out then, but I hope to have the walls done in the new few days.
Brian


Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Image
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
User avatar
Gunguy05
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 385
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm
Location: South GA
Top

Re: The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

Postby Gunguy05 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:28 pm

So... we have made pretty good progress. I looked at my last build, and to get to this point took me about 3 1/2 month.. This time, just a little over a month. Needless to say, I have learned a lot since then, and even now I continue to look at things that I have done so far on this build and think "I should have done that this way"

Example 1. I don't think I would stick frame the walls. Even though It looks pretty simple (and it is), I think cutout plywood would be much easier and faster. Seems like I have spent an inordinate amount of time cutting and pocket screwing :lol: , and cutting, and gluing.. I think cutouts from 3/4 plywood will be the way to go on the next one.

I got my son out helping me yesterday.. That was the best part.

Image2016-01-07_01-24-15 by gunguy05, on Flickr

ImagePut the boy to work by gunguy05, on Flickr


We finished up the floor and put the top on it.

Image2016-01-10_09-21-37 by gunguy05, on Flickr

I started a youtube video series of my build. Here's a link if you would like to see the end of each stage, and an explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdi_xDKfAE7SwOaydkYOsDj1NMJpjx4cn

Here's where we are at this point. We cut the back wall out to fit, and did a test stand up of the side wall. Next is to seal the top and bottom of the floor, poly the inside boards, and then make the seals for the hatch. I think I'm going to do this on the bench this time rather than standing up. I seem to be able to run the router much better on a flat surface :shock:

Image2016-01-10_09-21-16 by gunguy05, on Flickr

And... we are taking the NT trailer and extending the tongue about 2 feet. Had to get a piece of steel. 2x2 x 1/8 and drill it out. Also get another coupler that was 2x2 and drill some holes for it.

We flipped the stock mounting plate over, and the new tongue tube will run though it.

ImageIMG_20160109_103710 by gunguy05, on Flickr
Brian


Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Image
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
User avatar
Gunguy05
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 385
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm
Location: South GA
Top

Re: The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

Postby Gunguy05 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:47 am

I realized 2 things last night.
1. I haven't posted an update in a while.

2. We haven't done a whole lot lately. BUT We have made a little progress. We've been on 2 camping trips in the Regal Eagle since the last update, had a few other things going one, and the weather hasn't always been cooperative when I've had time to work.

But Yesterday we got a good bit done. Nothing exciting, but we are making progress on the finishing touches of the walls, and begining to cut cabinets.

Because we went with 5/16" x 3 1/2" pine T/G for the inside walls, we need to finish it. We decided on a natural stain (to hold the color), and a oil based poly. We initially did a little test with just poly, but it turned out a little yellow for the liking of the eventual campers (my parents). SO, we did a coat of the natural and then (so far), 2 coats of poly.
ImageIMG_20160213_135123 by gunguy05, on Flickr

We have cut a few pieces of 1/2" birch for the counter top, and the inside wall. Also, a 3/4" piece for the bulkhead wall. This will all be finished in just a poly coat or 3.

ImageIMG_20160213_163902 by gunguy05, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20160213_135128 by gunguy05, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20160213_135113 by gunguy05, on Flickr


Also, our cabinets are going to be a simple sliding door setup. I ended up building these into the 1st build, and they work out nicely. AND They are very cheap .. ummm humm. COST EFFECTIVE to build. Just 4 pieces for the tracks and 2-3 of the same underlayment that we used for the floors and viola, you have doors. The thing that was a big seller for me is that the doors don't swing out into the room on the counter or other area... so that makes them much easier to operate.

Plus I got it try out my new table saw quite a bit.. That will make fabrication much easier on certain aspects of the build.
Here is one of the tracks that we cut out for the sliding doors.

ImageIMG_20160213_181413 by gunguy05, on Flickr


That's about it for now. I want to cut the cabin top and bottom cabinets bottoms, and the counter top, and finish them all before we start to stand the wall up. We will use these to hold up the walls while we install the ceiling and spars. (plus I think it is easy that way)
Brian


Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Image
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
User avatar
Gunguy05
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 385
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm
Location: South GA
Top

Re: The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

Postby Gunguy05 » Wed May 18, 2016 6:27 am

I have been really busy with other projects lately and haven't had time to update here.. BUT I've gotten some stuff done.

I have been documenting this build on youtube, as I think that lends itself to me being able to better explain each process.

Anywho, here are my last few video link that show what I have done thus far.

The floor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egl2TifZi1E

The Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiairDaikEw

The Hatch Ends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEgUOMl73pU

Walls are UP and Cabinets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il0FGHUgaUQ

I tried to embed these video straight to the forum, but I can't figure out how.. anyways, the links are above.

:thumbsup:

I hope to get this thing mostly finished up before the summer is over, I know my dad wants to go camping soon!
Brian


Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Image
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
User avatar
Gunguy05
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 385
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm
Location: South GA
Top

Re: The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Thu May 19, 2016 3:09 pm

Nice looking build. I like the T&G interior.

Have you received your doors yet? I like the price that you posted in another thread. If they are good quality and work good, I'd like to go that route on my build.
User avatar
dirtsailor2003
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 262
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:15 pm
Top

Re: The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

Postby aggie79 » Thu May 19, 2016 3:21 pm

Nice work Brian!

I often wondered if the second build would go quicker than the first. I've only built one, but I would say that, if you're going to do an insulated wall, plywood "framing" is much quicker (and repeatable if you have a router) than stick-building the framing. What money you save with dimension lumber, you lose on time.

Great build (as was your first build also).

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For more on our Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

93503
User avatar
aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member
 
Posts: 5155
Images: 676
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:42 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Top

Re: The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

Postby tony.latham » Thu May 19, 2016 5:21 pm

Looking great. I like the way you addressed the structural issue with your sliders.

Tony
User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 3722
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere
Top

Re: The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

Postby Gunguy05 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:31 pm

dirtsailor2003 wrote:Nice looking build. I like the T&G interior.

Have you received your doors yet? I like the price that you posted in another thread. If they are good quality and work good, I'd like to go that route on my build.


Thank you! That TG was my dad's idea, and I wasn't crazy about it at first, but since it's his trailer, I let it grow on me.. and it has. The grain is really coming out nicely in it, and I think it give it a unique look and a very "warm" feel to the interior.

I have received the doors and first impression are :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I am planing on doing a video just on those pretty soon. I think they are top notch. The Hehr windows in them are great and I think I am going to like them. They are different than the others that I have in my other trailer, but they were much cheaper (480 for a set delivered), albeit they are 32 tall, not 36, but I can't see the 36's being much more... my others were close to 700 bucks shipped. I will try and get some closeup photos tomorrow of them and post them here.


aggie79 wrote:Nice work Brian!

I often wondered if the second build would go quicker than the first. I've only built one, but I would say that, if you're going to do an insulated wall, plywood "framing" is much quicker (and repeatable if you have a router) than stick-building the framing. What money you save with dimension lumber, you lose on time.

Great build (as was your first build also).

Take care,
Tom


Thanks Tom.. yes.. looking back on it now, I REALLY wish we had done plywood cutouts on this one. That would have saved much time and aggravation.. the *ahem* next NEW one I build will be with plywood internal framing for sure.. heck I've even thought about using plywood for the replacement framing on the shasta renovation.

tony.latham wrote:Looking great. I like the way you addressed the structural issue with your sliders.

Tony


Thank you Tony.. We just didn't have the "meat" on the framing of the tracks to support the doors. I guess I missed that when i was figuring things out. But luckily it wasn't too difficult to fix after the fact.
Brian


Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Image
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
User avatar
Gunguy05
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 385
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm
Location: South GA
Top

Re: The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:14 pm

Gunguy05 wrote:
dirtsailor2003 wrote:Nice looking build. I like the T&G interior.

Have you received your doors yet? I like the price that you posted in another thread. If they are good quality and work good, I'd like to go that route on my build.


Thank you! That TG was my dad's idea, and I wasn't crazy about it at first, but since it's his trailer, I let it grow on me.. and it has. The grain is really coming out nicely in it, and I think it give it a unique look and a very "warm" feel to the interior.

I have received the doors and first impression are :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I am planing on doing a video just on those pretty soon. I think they are top notch. The Hehr windows in them are great and I think I am going to like them. They are different than the others that I have in my other trailer, but they were much cheaper (480 for a set delivered), albeit they are 32 tall, not 36, but I can't see the 36's being much more... my others were close to 700 bucks shipped. I will try and get some closeup photos tomorrow of them and post them here.


Cool I will be looking for your photo's and video.
User avatar
dirtsailor2003
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 262
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:15 pm
Top

Re: The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

Postby Gunguy05 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:53 pm

dirtsailor2003 wrote:
Gunguy05 wrote:
dirtsailor2003 wrote:Nice looking build. I like the T&G interior.

Have you received your doors yet? I like the price that you posted in another thread. If they are good quality and work good, I'd like to go that route on my build.


Thank you! That TG was my dad's idea, and I wasn't crazy about it at first, but since it's his trailer, I let it grow on me.. and it has. The grain is really coming out nicely in it, and I think it give it a unique look and a very "warm" feel to the interior.

I have received the doors and first impression are :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I am planing on doing a video just on those pretty soon. I think they are top notch. The Hehr windows in them are great and I think I am going to like them. They are different than the others that I have in my other trailer, but they were much cheaper (480 for a set delivered), albeit they are 32 tall, not 36, but I can't see the 36's being much more... my others were close to 700 bucks shipped. I will try and get some closeup photos tomorrow of them and post them here.


Cool I will be looking for your photo's and video.


Here ya go! I made a separate thread just for the doors I found, just in case others are interested it will be other in that subforum.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=66276&p=1173778#p1173778
Brian


Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Image
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
User avatar
Gunguy05
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 385
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm
Location: South GA
Top

Re: The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

Postby Poorlytiedfly » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:08 pm

always good info Brian. Keep up the great work on your build.
User avatar
Poorlytiedfly
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 89
Images: 182
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:01 pm
Top

Re: The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

Postby p moore » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:09 pm

Isn't it about time for an update? :thinking: :thumbsup:

Paul
User avatar
p moore
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:39 am
Location: MS
Top

Re: The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

Postby Gunguy05 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:27 am

p moore wrote:Isn't it about time for an update? :thinking:

Paul

Soon....I promise

Just got back from vacation, will be back to work soon....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Brian


Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Image
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
User avatar
Gunguy05
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 385
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm
Location: South GA
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests