First build 5x10 Rimple design

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: First build 5x10 Rimple design

Postby mariannf » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:23 pm

jmascioni wrote:I have personally used that exact fuse box when I redid the wiring on an older boat. The only thing that I will say is although it is a well made item, you need to have "all your ducks in a row", as far as wiring it. There isn't a lot of room, everything has to be neat and tidy to fit it all together. Using ring terminals to mount the wire onto the fuse box makes it much easier. As long as you put it in a spot for easy access. Mine was mounted up under the dash of the boat and I had a terrible time trying to get the wire and a screw driver in there when there was only enough room for 1 hand at a time.

Thank you!
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:19 pm

mariannf wrote:Question for anyone out there. I am considering this Blue Seas fuse block that comes with negative bus bar. I like how consolidated it is and it looks like others on the site have used it. I will have only three loads: vent fan, main cabin dome light, and dc outlet (cigarette lighter type).
Any concerns with using this fuse block?
Many thanks.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/5025/S ... _and_Cover

:thumbsup: Wow! That looks like a really nice one! Few fuse boxes have a ton of space. It should work well for your purposes.

PS. If I don't see you at the Shasta Lake gathering, I know that I'll see you around sometime. After all, you're only about a 2 hr drive away. ...Looking forward to meeting you!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mariannf » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:58 pm

Thanks Sharon and likewise!
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby mariannf » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:09 am

After a couple of weeks hiatus i went back to work.
I completed the wall insulation. I used 3/4 inch hard foam board and secured it in place with 3m extreme hold duct tape which is designed to maintain hold in high temps. The foam board came in 4x8 so I had to cut to fit, and tried to make it very snug, so i went just above the measurements for each space by about 1/8 inch all around. the foam board felt like it would hold without the tape.
Attachments
insulation.jpg
insulation.jpg (130.54 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:13 pm

Glad to hear you're back on it. You're doing a good job! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mariannf » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:35 pm

S. Heisley wrote:.
Glad to hear you're back on it. You're doing a good job! :thumbsup:

Thanks Sharon! Breaks between big chunks of work to reassess plans has been important.
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby mariannf » Sun May 08, 2016 1:52 pm

Today i was able to attach the inner sidewalls. They are 3mm Baltic birch. I glued and screwed them in. I used #4 1/2 inch brass screws for aesthetic purposes. The roof spars will be attached through them. The various cutting to fit has left some jagged edges that I will sand. I am not sure if I will paint or lacquer. It will depend on howuch there is to cover at the end :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (28.39 KiB) Viewed 2634 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (24.33 KiB) Viewed 2634 times
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby mariannf » Sun May 15, 2016 10:49 pm

I cut and prepped the spars for install and measured out their placement. There are 14 1x2s and 2 2x2s for the vent fan. They will be placed at 14 inches from end for the 2x2s, 11 inches on center along the sidewall straight aways, and 8 inches on center along the curve. Each spar is cut to 57". I drilled a pass through hole in the spars that go from the vent fan (at the center of the camper) up to the bulkhead wall for the electrical wiring. there are a few different approaches to spar installation on the site, but I decided to go with joining the spars to the sidewalls using glue and an l shaped construction tie so that I can screw into the side of the spars rather than the end grain, and then into the walls. The temp spars I installed by screwing from the outside wall through into the end grain and it was very weak.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.69 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (29.77 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby mariannf » Sat May 21, 2016 4:37 pm

Today I did the spar installation, see my previous post with details about the spars and spacing. I installed all but two. I am thinkin of putting in one more window at the front bulkhead. I am thinking about getting a window that can open enough to use a small window air conditioner. I have seen many of the discussions about air conditioners and having a window that could accommodate a small one seems possible. What do you think?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (28.37 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (26.95 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (32.9 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Sat May 21, 2016 4:52 pm

I think a window for the A/C is as good of an idea as any. That way you only need to bring the A/C when you know your going to have AC power and it's hot out. There's my 2 cents.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sat May 21, 2016 7:56 pm

mariannf wrote:Today I did the spar installation, see my previous post with details about the spars and spacing. I installed all but two. I am thinkin of putting in one more window at the front bulkhead. I am thinking about getting a window that can open enough to use a small window air conditioner. I have seen many of the discussions about air conditioners and having a window that could accommodate a small one seems possible. What do you think?

You'll want to be certain that the air unit is well supported and that the flap that protects the window/air conditioner is water-proofed with good weather stripping and a sturdy clamp/lock. Therefore, it adds a little more complexity to the build; but, you are capable of handling that. If possible, install it so that the cold air does not blow directly on anybody. (I almost got pneumonia from an air conditioner blowing on my upper body while I was sleeping in my bedroom, once upon a time.) Bdosborn built an A/C opening that was very workable for him. Take a look at what he did here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21234&start=135
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mariannf » Sat May 21, 2016 9:04 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
mariannf wrote:Today I did the spar installation, see my previous post with details about the spars and spacing. I installed all but two. I am thinkin of putting in one more window at the front bulkhead. I am thinking about getting a window that can open enough to use a small window air conditioner. I have seen many of the discussions about air conditioners and having a window that could accommodate a small one seems possible. What do you think?

You'll want to be certain that the air unit is well supported and that the flap that protects the window/air conditioner is water-proofed with good weather stripping and a sturdy clamp/lock. Therefore, it adds a little more complexity to the build; but, you are capable of handling that. If possible, install it so that the cold air does not blow directly on anybody. (I almost got pneumonia from an air conditioner blowing on my upper body while I was sleeping in my bedroom, once upon a time.) Bdosborn built an A/C opening that was very workable for him. Take a look at what he did here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21234&start=135

Thanks Sharon and Elm!
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby mariannf » Fri May 27, 2016 4:00 pm

I started wiring today. I am using 14awg from the fuse box to each load. I decided on red wire for positive and white for negative. This just made sense to me. My four loads have different + - color combos so it wouldn't have been consistent to go with any particular combo. I had predrilled pass through holes in the spars, and passed the wires for two of the loads (fan and cabin light) through them. Then I cut section of a store bought plastic wire channel with adhesive back to fit between the spars. The channel is made with an opening running through its length to insert wire. Section by section I inserted the wires and then at the corners of the spars and wall frames taped them up. See pics. I will add two more loads, reading lights and the dual USB charger once I install a cabin shelf toward the end of the build. The fuse box will also be secured to the shelf and then only two wires an negative and positive to the battery will be channeled out through the floor.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (28.73 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (31.13 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (31.1 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 30, 2016 6:49 pm

:thumbsup: Keep going! We're still watching! :SG