First build 5x10 Rimple design

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: First build5x10 Rimple design

Postby mariannf » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:22 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (29.92 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (29.92 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
here are the pics of the start of the internal framing. I plan to use 1x2 for the rest of the skeleton. I had some of the 1x4 already and wanted to give the base for the walls extra support.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.58 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
Last edited by mariannf on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Re: First build Sacramento 5x10 Rimple design

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:14 pm

You're on your way and we're watching! :SG
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: First build 5x10 Rimple design

Postby mariannf » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:02 am

S. Heisley wrote:You're on your way and we're watching! :SG

Hi Sharon, question for you and all: when framing how much frame material do I need for the wall sandwich? I have 3/4 ply exterior skin, 1x2 framing wood, and 3mm birch interior skin.Do I just need to attach framing 1x2s around the doors, windows, perimeter of walls and then top to bottom every couple of feet? Many different methods in the forum.
Thanks! Mariann
Last edited by mariannf on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:02 pm

You need framework for doors, windows, corners, and roof...anywhere that you are going to want to screw something in or together; plan to add a bit, only if needed, for a light fixture, etc. Andrew's Rimple design shows the minimum and probably best support: http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... mp-int.pdf

We are very fortunate to have Andrew and all his designs here, on the forum. He knows what he is doing.

1x2's are good. IMO poplar 1x2's are the best. In my experience, the lighter color the wood, the less it will weigh while still giving you the strength you need. (I weighed every piece that I used.) 3/4 inch plywood is over-kill, especially in a sandwich build. If you haven't already purchased it, you can go with a lot thinner plywood and it will be easier to lift and deal with, too. I used 1/8 inch, sandwiched, and have been fine for 5 years, so far. Go to a reputable distributor/retailer for your plywood, not an orange or blue box store. Sometimes, the quality makes more of a difference than the thickness. I started out with box store plywood and quickly gave it away and got better and started over.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mariannf » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:34 pm

S. Heisley wrote:You need framework for doors, windows, corners, and roof...anywhere that you are going to want to screw something in or together; plan to add a bit, only if needed, for a light fixture, etc. Andrew's Rimple design shows the minimum and probably best support: http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... mp-int.pdf

We are very fortunate to have Andrew and all his designs here, on the forum. He knows what he is doing.

1x2's are good. IMO poplar 1x2's are the best. In my experience, the lighter color the wood, the less it will weigh while still giving you the strength you need. (I weighed every piece that I used.) 3/4 inch plywood is over-kill, especially in a sandwich build. If you haven't already purchased it, you can go with a lot thinner plywood and it will be easier to lift and deal with, too. I used 1/8 inch, sandwiched, and have been fine for 5 years, so far. Go to a reputable distributor/retailer for your plywood, not an orange or blue box store. Sometimes, the quality makes more of a difference than the thickness. I started out with box store plywood and quickly gave it away and got better and started over.

Thanks Sharon! I already have the 3/4 ply so done deal on that.
Last edited by mariannf on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:37 pm

mariannf wrote: Thanks Sharon! I already have the 3/4 ply so done deal on that.

Okay, that's not the end of the world. Your teardrop will be plenty strong! However, a 4x8'x1/8" sheet of plywood weighs about 9 lbs. Therefore, each equivalent 4x8'x3/4" sheet will weigh probably about 54 lbs; so, your teardrop will weigh maybe a hundred pounds more.

I see you are using 3mm for the roof. :thumbsup: I couldn't get the good quality 1/8" plywood to curve enough for me and ended up using the cheaper, big box store stuff for my little lifting roof curve.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mariannf » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:23 am

S. Heisley wrote:
mariannf wrote: Thanks Sharon! I already have the 3/4 ply so done deal on that.

Okay, that's not the end of the world. Your teardrop will be plenty strong! However, a 4x8'x1/8" sheet of plywood weighs about 9 lbs. Therefore, each equivalent 4x8'x3/4" sheet will weigh probably about 54 lbs; so, your teardrop will weigh maybe a hundred pounds more.

I see you are using 3mm for the roof. :thumbsup: I couldn't get the good quality 1/8" plywood to curve enough for me and ended up using the cheaper, big box store stuff for my little lifting roof curve.

Hi Sharon, I am planning on putting aluminum over the 3mm ply exterior roof skin. I have seen some posts indicating you can attach the aluminum skin right to the spars without sub roof material. what do you think?
also I have a question, it turns out one of my 1x4s that are attached to the floor (see last few pics) and that my walls will be attached to, is not totally square, it leans out a bit at the top edge. what do you think should be don. If I push it from the top I can straighten it out, but I am not sure how t brace it in that position. or I can sand it down so the angle is 90 degrees.
any ideas appreciated.
Mariann
Last edited by mariannf on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby dogscats » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:04 pm

With the ply wood will help with oil canning. Could go with thinner aluminum. Have you look at S&K in S S.SAC they used to have good prices .
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:55 pm

dogscats wrote:With the ply wood will help with oil canning. Could go with thinner aluminum. Have you look at S&K in S S.SAC they used to have good prices .

For those who may not know:
oil-canning(Noun)

A moderate deformation or buckling of sheet material, particularly common with flat sheet metal surfaces. Typically caused by uneven stresses at the fastening points. This terminology also refers to the popping sound made when pressure is applied to the deformed sheet forcing the deformation in the opposite direction.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:03 pm

mariannf wrote:
...also I have a question, it turns out one of my 1x4s that are attached to the floor (see last few pics) and that my walls will be attached to, is not totally square, it leans out a bit at the top edge. what do you think should be don. If I push it from the top I can straighten it out, but I am not sure how t brace it in that position. or I can sand it down so the angle is 90 degrees.
any ideas appreciated.
Mariann

I see the clamps on them. Does that mean that they are glued down?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby satch » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:31 pm

KCStudly wrote:When it is cold/cool out and the inside of the cabin is warm and humid, yes. This is made worse in cool/cold temps when you only have the ventilation open to a minimum, trying to conserve heat, and moisture has more of a chance to build up.

My bigger tear's floor is insulated with sheet lino over it. The smaller tear's floor is not insulated but I have a sheet of plastic between the floor and mattress.
I too camp in central Cal ( I live here in Sac also ) Never had an issue with moisture
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby mariannf » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:51 am

S. Heisley wrote:
mariannf wrote:
...also I have a question, it turns out one of my 1x4s that are attached to the floor (see last few pics) and that my walls will be attached to, is not totally square, it leans out a bit at the top edge. what do you think should be don. If I push it from the top I can straighten it out, but I am not sure how t brace it in that position. or I can sand it down so the angle is 90 degrees.
any ideas appreciated.
Mariann

I see the clamps on them. Does that mean that they are glued down?

Hi Sharon yes they are glued. One of the 1x4s that runs the length of the frame seems slightly warped at one end. It leans out a bit. This runs for a couple of feet, the rest of the board is straight.
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:50 am

If you plan to stand the wall ply up next to the 1x4 and screw them together, it will probably pull everything together and true again... or at least an approximation. I would use PL Premium construction adhesive for this joint, as it is more forgiving of minor gaps and rough surfaces than regular wood glue.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby mariannf » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:56 am

KCStudly wrote:If you plan to stand the wall ply up next to the 1x4 and screw them together, it will probably pull everything together and true again... or at least an approximation. I would use PL Premium construction adhesive for this joint, as it is more forgiving of minor gaps and rough surfaces than regular wood glue.

Thanks KC! I was thinking that might be the case.
Last edited by mariannf on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:51 pm

mariannf wrote:
KCStudly wrote:If you plan to stand the wall ply up next to the 1x4 and screw them together, it will probably pull everything together and true again... or at least an approximation. I would use PL Premium construction adhesive for this joint, as it is more forgiving of minor gaps and rough surfaces than regular wood glue.

Thanks KC! I was thinking that might be the case.

3/4" plywood is almost strong enough to stand alone. In fact, some people use it, cut out, to build the sandwich framework for their teardrops. Therefore, depending upon how uneven it is, you could sand a wee bit off that 1x4 without hurting anything, if you feel you need to. But, don't get carried away. As KC stated, PL Premium construction adhesive is a really good and forgiving glue. From what you've said, the wood is still pliable and may simply follow the "suggestion" of the plywood, as KC said.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals