My modifed-square teardrop build journal

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

My modifed-square teardrop build journal

Postby Bcouncil22 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:20 am

***Currently editing post to include pictures from the completion of my build, bear with me!***

Hello all!
First and foremost I'd like to say that I'm glad to have found this forum and be a part of this community!

A little about me and how I found myself here- After making the decision to start traveling full time, I started looking into how I could make my 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe livable for myself and my girlfriend. With a little research under my belt, I was talking with my father and he had the idea of buying a trailer to use as storage as to maximize living space inside the vehicle....back to the drawing board. I knew my Hyundai was surprisingly capable as a tow vehicle after hauling my 18' fiberglass bass boat up and down the East Coast for the past few years.....but, it just didn't make sense to me to cram our living space in the car, and tow our storage space, so I started looking on craigslist for used campers. That was when I came across plans for a "Teardrop Camper" built by someone with "no previous experience". That was it; although hardly an expert, I'm no stranger to woodworking, and have an affinity for taking on projects such as this. I was sold, and so it began. After much deliberation, we decided that 5x8 was the right size trailer, and that we were just not satisfied with the trailers available to us. Long story short, we had a trailer custom built locally, out of 2x3 rectangular tubing (overkill, but hey, this IS my future home!), a 2500 lb axle, LED lights, and 2 levelers in the rear. We decided to go ahead and have square fenders welded on as well as an expended metal platform for the tongue box. We will be constructing a modified square teardrop, basing it loosely off of the Oregon Trail-r Terradrop. The fabrication of the trailer was completed this week, and it will be in our shop this weekend getting ready for a coat of paint and hopefully a floor in the coming weeks! I'm headed into work now, but have a few pictures from the shop it was fabricated in that I will post up later. Thanks for reading and joining me on this crazy journey!

Ben
Last edited by Bcouncil22 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bcouncil22
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My modifed-square teardrop build journal

Postby Vedette » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:45 am

Hi Ben
There is a ton of great information here that will assist you in your upcoming build.
Ask lots of questions, then sort thru the answers you will receive from this large family in the Teardrop World. :thinking:
We are excited about following you thru your build.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:51 pm

Ben:

Sounds like your headed down the right path!

I've done it both ways. I've built teardrops on the chassis and built them on a dolly and loaded them on the chassis and bolted them down after they're complete. I much prefer building on the dolly. I'm on my phone or I'd upload some pics.

Enjoy your build,

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:06 am

Ben, I second what Tony said. If you're planning on a tongue box in front, don't do what I did! I had mine welded in place first, then found I couldn't fasten the roof panels & skin in place, without having the cabin off of the frame. I spent this summer in Tucson pushing the box back & forth, left & right on the frame on 2x4's, before fastening it down permanently as I worked on it. The hotter it got, the heavier it got....

Building it on a dolly would have been easier, or even on the frame if it was completely open on all 4 sides. Just make sure you have access to the attachment points for bolts to hold it down. Welcome, there are some great people here & lots of good ideas from all the build journals!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:21 pm

Here's a pic of the last teardrop jacked up and ready to slip onto the chassis. (Just make sure you hitch the chassis to your truck. You can see the simple dolly underneath!)

And a 4 x 8' teardrop cabin rolled over to seal the floor. It wasn't too hard for a couple of old farts to roll. I wouldn't recommend this for a larger one, unless you have several football-player friends willing to roll it for you.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bcouncil22 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:21 pm

Tossing some finished pictures up, will edit to include build details as I have time!

Bcouncil22
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals