I've finally started

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

I've finally started

Postby Ragonk » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:06 pm

Well, I've got some work done and I'm ready to start on the side walls. I'm using the Kuffle Creek plans as a guideline on a NT 5x8 frame. I like the look of the profile with the plans but feel there is some wasted area in the galley by the bottom cabinets. Thinking modified profile something between Kuffle Creek profile and the Benroy. Any ideas?

Also,how do I upload pics from an iPad? :?

Kevin
Ragonk
Teardrop Builder

Re: I've finally started

Postby pchast » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:26 pm

Welcome...
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:47 pm

Ragonk wrote:Well, I've got some work done and I'm ready to start on the side walls. I'm using the Kuffle Creek plans as a guideline on a NT 5x8 frame. I like the look of the profile with the plans but feel there is some wasted area in the galley by the bottom cabinets. Thinking modified profile something between Kuffle Creek profile and the Benroy. Any ideas?

Also,how do I upload pics from an iPad? :?

Kevin

Welcome.

This is how I upload my photos from my iPad.
First I click on "Galley" in the right side of the bar under "Board Index".
For me, the next screen shows Albums posted by others and I scroll down to I see my name. Labeled "users personal albums".
I click on my name.
Click on "New Image"
Then a screen comes up labeled "Upload Image".

See the "Choose File" tab.
Click on it and you should get a box with three options - "Take Photo or Video", "Photo Library" and "More...."
Click on "Photo Library".
Click on the photo wanted.
You should see it next to the tab.
If that is all you want to post, press the "continue" button at the bottom.
Then you see another screen where you can notes, etc. Which I never do.
Press "Submit" and and your photo is added to your TnTTT album.

Now getting it from the album to the forum is another story (not hard).

There may be a better way, but this works for me.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Ragonk » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:35 pm

Thanks Irrowe! I managed to post three pics of my build. I'm up staring at the many profiles that are in the design page. There are some great resources on this forum!
:thumbsup:

Kevin
Ragonk
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:00 pm

Welcome from another Kevin. Good luck with your build! Don't hesitate to ask questions. There is a lot of great information within these forums; so many lessons learned and I woulda shoulda's. If you are going to stray from a proven design, I recommend that you take your time and soak a bunch of the build journals and builders tips in, then layout your plan with as much detail as you can muster up front. Even with a good plan, you will find things that you want to change along the way, or that just didn't work out the way you thought they would. These are the things that can take a lot of time to "switch gears" and usually cost more for extra materials, so it is best to do your research up front.

For example: a lot of people (myself included) underestimate the amount of space that can be needed for your electrical system, to pull wires for all of the lights and stuff that end up going into even a fairly simple system. If I ever build again I will spend a lot more thought up front and allow extra room for where the wire bundles make turns, etc. (like at the transition between side walls and bulkhead). You may be able to look up the size of the components you plan to use, but the wire connectors and angle of approach might take a lot more room than you first expect.

Another thing some people struggle with (or is it just me?) is deciding on an exterior treatment. If you already know that you want to do a full blown aluminum skin with trim and all, or a woody with clear epoxy and thin glass cloth reinforcement (like wooden kayak builders use), then you will be all set; but if you are concerned about budget and figure you will just paint plywood, that can be a problem down the road when the grain starts to check and split... rot. I changed my mind and switched from thinking I would do Poor Man's Fiberglass (canvas glued on with wood glue and painted over with latex paint) to full blown epoxy/glass cloth, and there are a number of things that I am having to back track on and rethink as a result.

I guess what I am really trying to say is that once you start down this path you will likely end up putting a lot more time, effort and money into it than you might have originally expected, so your outlook on which products and methods to use might change as you go. To this I say follow big Mike's advice, "The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...".
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Ragonk » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks KCStudly! I appreciate the advice and won't be afraid to ask questions.
Ragonk
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:22 am

"The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...".

I have no idea how many tons of good advice I've read on this forum, but that one sentence sets the bar. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Tony :thumbsup:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:56 pm

Welcome!
Enjoy your build! :thumbsup:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ragonk » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:50 pm

Got some work done today. Floor is water proofed, insulated, and flipped over onto the frame. There is a 1/4 gap or so on the front, middle and back cross members, What have others done to correct this issue?
Ragonk
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ragonk » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:57 pm

How do I post a pic to this string? :?
Ragonk
Teardrop Builder

Postby lrrowe » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:00 pm

Ragonk wrote:How do I post a pic to this string? :?

There are several ways and this is the way I like to do it.

When ready to post your message, select the "[img][/ing]" above,
Assuming you have your photo in your gallery, click on "Gallery" above, find the photo you want,
click on it and drop down to the infor below it,
select and copy the "url" for it,
and paste it between the two "img's".

That should be it? Hope this makes sense. Others will post the "url" link from another site such as "Photobucket", etc.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:26 pm

For the gap, most people either cut slats of lumber or use a piece of hard plastic trim as a shim; some have used aluminum flat bar. You can attach them to either the bottom of the floor or the top of the trailer. Just be sure, if you use wood, to seal it well.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Ragonk » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:40 pm

Ragonk
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ragonk » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Ragonk
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ragonk » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:32 pm

[img]138919[/img]
I finally decided on a profile and got them cut out. This was a sticking point for me and I'm glad I got it done! Thanks Irrowe for the help with uploading my pictures.

Kevin :beer:
Ragonk
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Build Journals