I've finally started

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: I've finally started

Postby Ragonk » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:45 am

I got more work done yesterday! I managed to get my doors cut out, and profiles sanded to match perfectly. I customized the Kuffel Creek door plans to make them a little taller and wider because I am what you would call a "big guy"! :lol:
Ragonk
Teardrop Builder

Postby jkidd6339 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:33 am

Looks like you on your way. Have fun with it. Good work.
jkidd6339
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:23 pm

jkidd6339 wrote:Looks like you on your way. Have fun with it. Good work.

:applause: :thumbsup: :applause: I agree!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Ragonk » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:39 pm

Got the cabinet backs completed, and I'm planning the electrical right now. The Kuffel Creek plans do not give a lot of detail. Is there a thread y'all could recommend with some detail about a 12v and 110 install? Image
Ragonk
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gunguy05 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:47 pm

For combined , we used a PD4045 converter until on the last build. It serves as a termination point for the 12V and the 120, has fuses/breakers, and is a smart charger for the battery. It is a great unit. We wired all the 12V with 16ga speaker wire and the 110 with cut 12ga extension cords (think flexible).

THis time we are going to use a blue sea , 6 position fuse box for the 12V stuff. We will do the same wiring for the 110, but will terminate it to plugs that will plug into a power strip wit a breaker in it. Trying to go a little more simple. The charger will most likely be a NOCO genius charger or battery tender simliar to this. http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G750-UltraSa ... words=noco
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby Ragonk » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Brian,
Thanks for the advice. I plan to do separate wiring. For the 12 volt, I plan to find a 6 circuit fuse box and wire it up using LED lights and a Fantastic Fan, and maybe one 12v power outlet (to charge a phone if off grid somewhere). For the 110, I guess I'll start with a Home Depot breaker box an outlet in the cabin (laptop, DVD player, or to charge phone), 3 in the galley (one for the microwave) and one in the tongue box where I plan to put an ac unit. Do you know if I can just use a battery charger while at a camp site to charge battery while I'm using the lights or Fantastic Fan? I already have a Schumacher XM1-5 Maintainer 1.5-Amp that I bought last year to charge a car battery. That way I don't have to purchase a converter, and all that goes with it. I'm trying to keep it simple too, this electrical part of the build is testing my sanity :? LOL!
Ragonk
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gunguy05 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:59 pm

Ragonk wrote:Brian,
Thanks for the advice. I plan to do separate wiring. For the 12 volt, I plan to find a 6 circuit fuse box and wire it up using LED lights and a Fantastic Fan, and maybe one 12v power outlet (to charge a phone if off grid somewhere). For the 110, I guess I'll start with a Home Depot breaker box an outlet in the cabin (laptop, DVD player, or to charge phone), 3 in the galley (one for the microwave) and one in the tongue box where I plan to put an ac unit. Do you know if I can just use a battery charger while at a camp site to charge battery while I'm using the lights or Fantastic Fan? I already have a Schumacher XM1-5 Maintainer 1.5-Amp that I bought last year to charge a car battery. That way I don't have to purchase a converter, and all that goes with it. I'm trying to keep it simple too, this electrical part of the build is testing my sanity :? LOL!

Yeah. That should work. That is my plan anyways.

A fantastic fan only draws about 3 amps at max speed.. and if you are using LED lights, they draw very little. Invest in a good battery ( We bought an AGM 100 Ah). It was 200 bucks, but it should last a while and holds a charge, and doesn't off gas, so we can store it in a confined space.

Checkout this, if you haven't already, I have seen quite a few of these used, I think this is what our next one will be http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems- ... B000THQ0CQ

Good luck and keep us posted.
Brian

Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby Ragonk » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:41 am

Gunguy05 wrote:Yeah. That should work. That is my plan anyways.

A fantastic fan only draws about 3 amps at max speed.. and if you are using LED lights, they draw very little. Invest in a good battery ( We bought an AGM 100 Ah). It was 200 bucks, but it should last a while and holds a charge, and doesn't off gas, so we can store it in a confined space.

Checkout this, if you haven't already, I have seen quite a few of these used, I think this is what our next one will be http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems- ... B000THQ0CQ

Thanks Brian! I really like that block from the link you posted. I'll probably go with that one. I'll order in the morning and then run to Home Depot to get the rest of the wiring supplies.

Thanks again
Ragonk
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gunguy05 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:20 am

Ragonk wrote:
Gunguy05 wrote:Yeah. That should work. That is my plan anyways.

Thanks Brian! I really like that block from the link you posted. I'll probably go with that one. I'll order in the morning and then run to Home Depot to get the rest of the wiring supplies.

Thanks again

You are most welcome.

We spent a great deal of time going over the electrical plan on our first one. I'm happy with they way it turned out, but I think we might have overthought and overengineered it. I saw one at a TD gathering a while back that was both 12 and 120, and it was much simpler. It's amazing to me how much thought goes into such a small space, only to be step back later and think "why did I do all that"??? :shock:
Brian

Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:43 am

Gunguy05 wrote:We spent a great deal of time going over the electrical plan on our first one. I'm happy with they way it turned out, but I think we might have overthought and overengineered it. I saw one at a TD gathering a while back that was both 12 and 120, and it was much simpler. It's amazing to me how much thought goes into such a small space, only to be step back later and think "why did I do all that"??? :shock:

+1 on over-thinking, over-engineering, but being happy with the results!

The only thing I would add is to keep documentation and sketches of your work, and to label the wiring (both ends) to keep everything sorted out.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Ragonk » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:37 pm

I've been working on the electrical system and bought the fuse panel that Brian suggested. It seems to be of very good quality. I have a couple of questions though. Is it okay to run the wires though holes drilled I the framing or do I need to use conduit? Also, can I use "Great Stuff" spray foam for the gaps in the 3/4 inch foam board where wires are?
Ragonk
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ragonk » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:40 pm

One more question... Is it necessary to use stranded Romex for the 110volt? I already bought 12/2 Romex designed for kitchen and bathroom use...

Thanks!
Kevin :D
Ragonk
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gunguy05 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:09 pm

Ragonk wrote:One more question... Is it necessary to use stranded Romex for the 110volt? I already bought 12/2 Romex designed for kitchen and bathroom use...

Thanks!
Kevin :D

You can just use the hole in the framing,,, I assume you mean wood , otherwise you would need a gromet of some sort of it's in the trailer frame.

I have alway heard to use stranded , that because of the bouncing up and down that the solid wire is not made to withstand the jarring action of the road. We used 12 ga extension cords in the first bulld. And plan on using them in the second. It worked out that we were able to purchase them chapter than Romex, and they were easier to run.

Having said that, I've seen other builds that used regular Romex, so a I can only speak from what we did.

Good luck and keep up the good work, it will pay off in the end.
Brian

Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby Ragonk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:49 pm

Electrical is roughed in and insulation mostly done, time for some interior paneling! Image
Ragonk
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ragonk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:51 pm

Another pic! Image
Ragonk
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals